Print Thread
Hop To
Page 373 of 1,042 1 2 371 372 373 374 375 1041 1042
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

My F M D — fading memory disorder, sorry.

In 2011 I DID see a ‘Tan’ one’s HEAD peeking out of brush. No shot. -> ( S S S ) <-
That makes 4 I’ve seen — where none are ! ??

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/17/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Beaver10
He looks like he’s been busting curls and triceps regularly. Would hate to have those front paws around my neck. 😎

I have seen 2 of them and they were blurs running in colorado. I watched something last night on prime and they had a clip of a cat hitting a cow elk. I cannot believe how quick she was killed , literally bull rushed her and knocked her down instantly. Good thing they keep to themselves in the woods.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
One more of Ol' Tom.

[Linked Image]

This was about 1/4 mile away, from the game cam that caught the first cat pix. He was crossing a different trail.

Speaking of getting spooked.

At the "Petting Zoo" cell signal is very limited. One has to go to the top of one of the hills or a spot we call "the y". I normally arrive in the afternoon, but this particular trip I did not get there until after 10 pm. I unloaded a bit then got my ATV and headed down to "the Y" to make a call, so that would put me there about 11:30 PM. I'm not particularly spooked about being out at night and enjoy hearing the night sound so I always kill the motor. IIRC, I ended up sitting there for 30 minutes or so. The next day, one of my buds whose game cam caught the images of the lion, came up and pulled the disks out of the cameras. He has a photo viewer and he came over to show me a particular image.

[Linked Image]

This was about 50 yds. away from where I was sitting, about 4 hours after I left.

I now tend to leave the mortor running.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 05/17/19.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

B U M P !!!

[quote=geedubya

One more of Ol' Tom.

[Linked Image]

This was about 1/4 mile away, from the game cam that caught the first cat pix. He was crossing a different trail.

Speaking of getting spooked.

At the "Petting Zoo" cell signal is very limited. One has to go to the top of one of the hills or a spot we call "the y". I normally arrive in the afternoon, but this particular trip I did not get there until after 10 pm. I unloaded a bit then got my ATV and headed down to "the Y" to make a call, so that would put me there about 11:30 PM. I'm not particularly spooked about being out at night and enjoy hearing the night sound so I always kill the motor. IIRC, I ended up sitting there for 30 minutes or so. The next day, one of my buds whose game cam caught the images of the lion, came up and pulled the disks out of the cameras. He has a photo viewer and he came over to show me a particular image.

[Linked Image]

This was about 50 yds. away from where I was sitting, about 4 hours after I left.

ya!

GWB

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
[Linked Image]

Now that is cool!

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WAY cool !!!!!!!!!!!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
He looks like he’s been busting curls and triceps regularly. Would hate to have those front paws around my neck. 😎

I have seen 2 of them and they were blurs running in colorado. I watched something last night on prime and they had a clip of a cat hitting a cow elk. I cannot believe how quick she was killed , literally bull rushed her and knocked her down instantly. Good thing they keep to themselves in the woods.

For 40 years that’s usually what I would see...A quick sighting with the undeniable long tail moving with lightning speed into cover.

Now, loggers taking pictures of big cats in the cuts they’re getting ready to head down into to set chokers, are very common.

State Police checking successful hunters in the field with big cats are snapping photos of these 190lb forest mousers that are running over 6’ 3” from nose to tail.

I never before gave a thought to hiking into an area to hunt at 4AM alone. Now, in the last few years, I’m paying more attention to where my pistol is strapped, and easy, unemcubered access to it. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

For 40 years that’s usually what I would see...A quick sighting with the undeniable long tail moving with lightning speed into cover.

Now, loggers taking pictures of big cats in the cuts they’re getting ready to head down into to set chokers, are very common.

State Police checking successful hunters in the field with big cats are snapping photos of these 190lb forest mousers that are running over 6’ 3” from nose to tail.

I never before gave a thought to hiking into an area to hunt at 4AM alone. Now, in the last few years, I’m paying more attention to where my pistol is strapped, and easy, unemcubered access to it. 😎

I dont think it matters what kind of pistol you have and where you are wearing it. Cat jumps you, I dont think you are gonna get to use it.

A couple years ago, I stumbled on a freshly killed Coues doe while hunting one morning, about 7 miles straight line from our house. Does arent legal to shoot. Had no holes, bullet or arrow, that I could see. I hauled out of that area pretty quick.

We have black bears same area, stumbled on one headed to the truck in the evening after scouting. Didnt spook me in the least.

The cats, make me think crazy thoughts walking in and out in the dark.

This is what the area looks like.

[Linked Image]

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
FANTASTIC , Dan

[quote=DigitalDan

[Linked Image]

Y'all know why it's like that ?

Topping the tree opened up for sunlight . >> Look at trees across the street.

Thnx

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Hawk, that puts my mind at ease. Cats are cool, but very spooky. 😎

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

My F M D — fading memory disorder, sorry.

In 2011 I DID see a ‘Tan’ one’s HEAD peeking out of brush. No shot. -> ( S S S ) <-
That makes 4 I’ve seen — where none are ! ??

Beaver 10 said above ^^^

"For 40 years that’s usually what I would see...A quick sighting with the undeniable long tail moving with lightning speed into cover."

I agree. The three I saw YEARS apart from each other WERE in cover and I only saw the tails & hind end of 1.

On my 4th, I was in a deer stand on top of a hill.......looking downhill to the BRUSH and Tree line. IF, IF I hadn't been looking at the exact time I was....... I wouldn't have seen it. I had NO opportunity for a shot on ANY of the 4.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No worries, anything to help!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by geedubya

ya!

GWB ...

Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
A couple years ago, I stumbled on a freshly killed Coues doe while hunting one morning, about 7 miles straight line from our house. Does arent legal to shoot. Had no holes, bullet or arrow, that I could see. I hauled out of that area pretty quick.

We have black bears same area, stumbled on one headed to the truck in the evening after scouting. Didnt spook me in the least.

Glad to read the posts above. First trip to Colorado, scouted a spot just above treeline that appeared to have fresh elk beds. 1.5 mile hike in thru dark timber. Warm weather and dry during scouting. Friday night before opening day, 8" of fresh snow. 5:00am Saturday morning, half way in, get to a tree that has a set of cat tracks leading away from it, headed up the hill, in the same direction I was headed... First time in dark timber... 2-3 minute gut check. Eventually calmed down and made it to the top of the hill. But, totally understand the crazy thoughts in the dark.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Backpacking in the Wilderness area above Marion Lake in Oregon one year I came around a corner ahead of my brothers and came almost face to face with a cougar on a shale slide about 50 feet ahead and 10 feet above me. Turned around to tell my brothers, who were just coming around the corner and by time I turned my head back he was gone like he was never there. Spooked me at first, but I think this was only the second time I had seen a cougar in the wild. I've seen several since then but never when I have a rifle in my hands....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No worries, anything to help!

PS
Did I mention you’re a Dick, too. Big Grin 😬😎

Bye and bye...Cool pictures you posted of the memorial. I have no doubt you and your brother Black Hawk pilots were and still are the schit...Night Stalkers and their kind are some crazy pilots that deliver a payload of American pain to the worst places. Amazing!

“Molon Labe”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I dont think it matters what kind of pistol you have and where you are wearing it. Cat jumps you, I dont think you are gonna get to use it.

This is what the area looks like.

[Linked Image]

+100 not a chance if they decide they want you. My best friend was walking up a trail in Colorado on a Elk bowhunt, for whatever reason it was he turned around and there was one about 50 yards away. It bolted when he looked at it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This one obviously belonged to someone... he had a purty collar on and his claws were well manicured....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
This one obviously belonged to someone... ...

[Linked Image]

Looks like, at the time the pic was taken, his azz was ALL YOURS !!! Well done !!!

Those things give me the chitz ...……. The places I hunt turkeys in Nebraska and Wyoming both have them. More so, Wyoming. REAL shear rocky breaks and lots of underbrush. Sitting, backed into that stuff...…..making sounds with a turkey call that sound just like lunch to a cat...…...…….. Head on a swivel is what I'm sayin'...….....

One morning in Nebraska, I walk in on a semi snow covered red sand road and hunt for several hours. I did a lot of moving in a set of REAL steep, narrow gulches. I head back to the truck late morning to grab a bite and warm up. Right smack on the road, and smoking fresh is a cat track nearly the width of my Gerber Gator unfolded.

They just give me the chitz...………….

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Two years ago I was tracking a bull a buddy shot at and missed in CO. In the shady areas the snow hadn't yet melted. As I was following the bulls tracks, I came across some mountain lion tracks that were following him as well, just minutes in front of me. Didn't see either one and wonder if that cat got him or not.

Page 373 of 1,042 1 2 371 372 373 374 375 1041 1042

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 47 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.