Print Thread
Hop To
C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
What is the best way to lube a magazine tube and friction ring on an old A5 shotgun. Today I got one out and the lifter wasn't working well. I sprayed some Silkroil on it and it took off working fine, but I got some on the magazine tube. Gun started kicking like blue blazes. I set the rings for heavy loads and that helped, but than I realized I had oil on the friction ring. Got me wondering what is best way to lube this properly. I remember reading about something that someone sprayed on his A5 recoil system and let it dry in the warm sunlight and he thought it worked well. Don't recall what it was and figured someone here is bound to have good feedback about the old recoil system.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Start by cleaning the magazine tube, recoil spring and friction rings completely clean of lubrication and leave them bone dry. JMB used just two drops of motor oil on the magazine tube. Wipe the magazine tube all around with the two drops of whatever decent lubricant you favor. Set the friction rings for heavy loads and see if the gun will run with whatever shells you are using. If you are using light loads and the gun won't run light loads when set up for heavy, then set the rings for light loads and rock on. It's about 50/50 the gun will run light loads set up like that. If it will the recoil will be soft and wear and tear on the gun is nil. If you plan on using heavy field loads then you should be good right there.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I put some CLP type oil on a piece of paper towel and wipe down the tube and rings. I then take a clean section of towel and wipe down the tube and rings before putting it all back together.

If the tube and rings feel greasier than I like, I'll wipe everything down with solvent, wipe off, let dry, and start over. I've been doing this since my first A-5 in the mid-1970s as did my father before me and his father before him. Well, except the CLP, that is my twist on the old method.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
There is no fixed amount that should be applied, as the spring tension varies. The key is to use as little as possible that will still allow the action to function. Start with a dry magazine tube with friction rings set to the heavy setting and see if it cycles properly. I’d it doesn’t, put a very light amount of oil on the magazine tube and check. I’d it still doesn’t cycle, go to the light setting with the rings.

More likely, especially on an older and much used gun the spring is soft and lost much of its strength. If a dry tube and the heavy load ring setting still allow a non-magnum load to cycle, definitely get a new spring. Art’s has them.

C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by GF1
There is no fixed amount that should be applied, as the spring tension varies. The key is to use as little as possible that will still allow the action to function. Start with a dry magazine tube with friction rings set to the heavy setting and see if it cycles properly. I’d it doesn’t, put a very light amount of oil on the magazine tube and check. I’d it still doesn’t cycle, go to the light setting with the rings.

More likely, especially on an older and much used gun the spring is soft and lost much of its strength. If a dry tube and the heavy load ring setting still allow a non-magnum load to cycle, definitely get a new spring. Art’s has them.

Thanks, I've got a new spring ordered from Numrich. I 've noticed 20 and 16 gauge A5 parts are scarce everywhere. Everyone has 12 gauge A5 parts on hand.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Art is THE MAN regarding Browning Auto Fives. Midwest Gun Works also has Auto Five parts.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Art’s has springs for all gauges.

C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by GF1
Art’s has springs for all gauges.

Ordered friction piece from Art's. Appareantly 16 and 20 gauge use same piece. At least I hope they do, that's what I ordered. Appreciate the heads up about Art's, the only place I could find friction piece in stock.

Last edited by ChuckKY; 05/19/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remember your gun was designed before modern synthetic and teflon gun oils were invented.

Every time I have had someone say their A5 (or Remington M11, Franchi 48, etc) will not function correctly, the easiest fix is to wipe off mag tube and put on a real light layer of axle grease (slick50 grease is what I use right now). people are amazed that their gun works better......

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You use grease in very cold temperatures? John Moses himself used a couple drops of motor oil.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I can't add anything except this, a pal had his stop working properly when dove hunting so he pulled the dipstick out of the truck and dripped about 3 drops off it. Shotgun went back to working just fine.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of good info in this thread. I believe the only time I've set my old Light Twelve up for heavy loads, was when I was wringing out it's short barrel with slugs & buckshot. The Modified barrel that came on it has run a couple thousand Winchester Universals with no malfunctions on the light load setting. It is far and away my favorite shotgun.

I lube the mag tube maybe twice a year and wipe it down to where you can't see any oil on it.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MOGC
You use grease in very cold temperatures? John Moses himself used a couple drops of motor oil.

Yes, it works fine. Just a thin film.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 14idaho, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,563 guests, and 710 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.