Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
#13826133 - 05/16/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: elkhunternm]  
Dirtfarmer Online content
Campfire Oracle
Dirtfarmer  Online Content
Campfire Oracle

Central Louisiana
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
My wife got me an latest smart phone for Christmas and I use about 1% of what's on it. wink

Yep, those phones are a lot smarter than the users.

Gunner's wifey has been trying to get him into the 21st century as long as it's been 21st century.

Looking at some of his ordinance, I'm not sure he's out of the 19th century... blush

That girl has a challenge, don't ya know.... cry

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 05/16/19.
Barrett Fieldcraft™ - Hunting Rifle of the Year!

#13826160 - 05/16/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: Dirtfarmer]  
gunner500 Offline
Campfire Oracle
gunner500  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
My wife got me an latest smart phone for Christmas and I use about 1% of what's on it. wink

Gunner's wifey has been trying to get him into the 21st century as long as it's been 21st century.

Looking at some of his ordinance, I'm not sure he's out of the 19th century... blush

DF

She just keeps polishing that lump of coal trying to get it to shine, poor, poor patient Girl! blush laugh

MOLON-LABE you commie vaginas!
#13826818 - 05/17/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: gunner500]  
beretzs Offline
Campfire Guide
beretzs  Offline
Campfire Guide

Northern Va
Originally Posted by gunner500
Yes, I just need to say hello, goodbye and send pics of guns and dead animals. smile

Take that IPhone 6 from your dear wife buddy. It’s pretty danged easy to use, takes great pictures and if you throw it into an Otter Box it’s a pretty rugged piece of kit. Plus, I’m not sure if you run mapping software but using OnX Maps on your phone is damned handy.

Semper Fi
#13826837 - 05/17/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: beretzs]  
jwall Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
jwall  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Southern Arkansas
Originally Posted by beretzs
Yes, I just need to say hello, goodbye and send pics of guns and dead animals. smile

Take that IPhone 6 from your dear wife buddy. It’s pretty danged easy to use, takes great pictures and if you throw it into an Otter Box it’s a pretty rugged piece of kit. Plus, I’m not sure if you run mapping software but using OnX Maps on your phone is damned handy.

+ 1 + 1 + 1

Today there's no excuse for not taking pix of anything interesting and/or important.

I've actually deleted quite a few from Photo pukit, too close to being redundant.

I only WISH I'd had a GOOD phone cam in years gone by. There will be 'REGERTS' grin.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

I choose to be OVER gunned.
#13826863 - 05/17/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: Dirtfarmer]  
elkhunternm Offline
Campfire Oracle
elkhunternm  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Mesquite,NM in Southern New Me...

DF

Gunner may join the 21st century in about 81 years. wink

Yeah,I think Gunner was born about 150-200 years too late.

Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Member Houston Safari Club
Member Wild Sheep Foundation
Take your responsibilites seriously,never yourself-Ken Howell

Ken
Alpha

#13826872 - 05/17/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: beretzs]  
Dirtfarmer Online content
Campfire Oracle
Dirtfarmer  Online Content
Campfire Oracle

Central Louisiana

Initially I was a bit skeptical about the iPhone 6, but after getting one and using it a while, they are a lot simpler than a fold phone. Much more user friendly.

Go for it gunner. You won’t regret it, will be glad you did.

DF

#13828130 - 05/17/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: jwall]  
gunner500 Offline
Campfire Oracle
gunner500  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Oklahoma
Originally Posted by jwall

+ 1 + 1 + 1

Today there's no excuse for not taking pix of anything interesting and/or important.

I've actually deleted quite a few from Photo pukit, too close to being redundant.

I only WISH I'd had a GOOD phone cam in years gone by. There will be 'REGERTS' grin.

Jerry

Thanks for the advice and faith in my i.t. abilities Gents, it may be a long hard road. smile

#13828132 - 05/17/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: elkhunternm]  
gunner500 Offline
Campfire Oracle
gunner500  Offline
Campfire Oracle

Oklahoma

DF

Gunner may join the 21st century in about 81 years. wink

Yeah,I think Gunner was born about 150-200 years too late.

I'm running late, but don't break that plate, I'm washing up and headed to the kitchen as fast as I can. grin

#13828231 - 05/17/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: rickt300]  
mudhen Online content
Campfire 'Bwana
mudhen  Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Boot Heel of New Mexico
I guess that I qualify as a Mauser 98 fan. Three of the four center-fire rifles that I currently own are Mauser 98 actions, and the fourth is a pre-64 Model 70, a Mauser stepson. My daughter that hunts and shoots has a Mexican Mauser that I built for her, and three of the grandsons have rifles with Mauser 98 actions that I built for them. My son-in-law also has a custom rifle that I gave to him, also built on a 98 action.

Like the Ronnie Millsap song, I guess that I am lost in the 50s. grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
#13828559 - 05/17/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: mudhen]  
jwall Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
jwall  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Southern Arkansas
Originally Posted by mudhen
I guess that I qualify as a Mauser 98 fan. Three of the four center-fire rifles that I currently own are Mauser 98 actions, and the fourth is a pre-64 Model 70, a Mauser stepson. My daughter that hunts and shoots has a Mexican Mauser that I built for her, and three of the grandsons have rifles with Mauser 98 actions that I built for them. My son-in-law also has a custom rifle that I gave to him, also built on a 98 action.

Like the Ronnie Millsap song, I guess that I am lost in the 50s. grin

Not a bad place & time to be.
SAD, SAD, How SORRY things have gotten in TWENTY (20) years.

I’m really lost in the 60s.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Bravo

#13833321 - 05/19/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: Starman]  
CarlsenHighway Offline
Campfire Regular
CarlsenHighway  Offline
Campfire Regular

Port Chalmers, New Zealand
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by greydog
The Mauser 98 is the BEST action for a rough-use hunting rifle. Having said this, it's important to point out that most changes detract from its utility...

WDM Bell found that in terms of reliability-function in harsh hunting conditions the Lee Enfields he had distinctly out- performed Mausers
and other European rifles like the Mannlichers in his collection. ...worst were the fancy prima donna SxS rifles.

His knowledge/experience with the Lee and Mauser also came from his combat service, Boer War and WW1.

Largely due to extensively field proven ruggedness and reliability, he purposely chose the military Lee and Mauser
for his commercial exploit ventures in Africa.

In the worst hunting conditions, the Lee Enfield proved the most reliable.

I will venture to make corrections to this - WDM Bell wrote that he disliked the military Lee Enfield action, that was not as well finished as the Mauser or the Springfield, but that it's 'rattletrap' bolt never failed except when he made a mistake and loaded the cartridges with the rims overlapping.

He was undeniably a Mauser fan.

After his first safari he used Mauser rifles almost exclusively, in chamberings ranging from .22 hipower up to .350 Magnum and .416 Rigby. (Apart from a double .45/400 which he used briefly, a double .318 Westerly Richards from Thomas Bland, and a rifle (probably a Savage 99 take down) in .22 Hipower.)

He was familiar with the Lee Metford rifle from his stint in the army during the Boer war as a young man, and started his elephant shooting with 2 sporting Lee Metford rifles,
He did not write anywhere that the Lee Metford / Enfield rifle outperformed or were more reliable than any other - his Mauser rifles had no failure that he wrote of, and the majority of his rifles after that were Mausers.

His most reliable rifle, which he mentioned several times, was his Mauser in 7x57 (although despite the "legend", this would not have been a Rigby made rifle at the time he was in Karamojo prior to 1907) However if greater concern to him than the rifles as far as reliability, was the ammunition. Prior to WW1 sporting ammunition was distinctly unreliable. The best ammo was German military 7x57 and British .303. But sporting ammunition was iffy. For example in his description of shooting the largest number of elephants in a day (19) he mentioned in passing that he fired 38 .318 WR cartridges and that 8 of them were misfires. He mentions this in passing, as if it were something he was just accustomed to. He faulted the primers of the sporting ammunition of the day.

(After WW1 this ammunition problem seems to have been cleared up - his primary rifles after the war were all .318 Westley Richards Mausers. (again, despite the legend of the .275 Rigby, after many years of hunting, Bell considered the .318 WR with a .330 cal 250 grain solid bullet as being more suitable for elephant.)

Yes, I travel the internet correcting misconceptions about Walter Bell the elephant hunter. It's what I do.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
#13833634 - 05/19/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: CarlsenHighway]  
jwall Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
jwall  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Southern Arkansas

ummm... nevermind !

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/20/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

#13833729 - 05/19/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: jwall]  
jwall Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
jwall  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Southern Arkansas
Ha Ha, I did something new for me.
I pulled this thread/post up on my phone, enlarged it and took a pic.
Loaded it to imgur and bingo !!

Now I have my personal record .

********** That Does Work *********
Pic Deleted

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/20/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

#13833767 - 05/19/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: jwall]  
geedubya Offline
Campfire Tracker
geedubya  Offline
Campfire Tracker

Texas
Two that followed me home quite a spell ago!

[Linked Image]

Top: 7x 57 Mauser

Bottom: 35 Whelen

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
#13833896 - 05/19/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: CarlsenHighway]  
Starman Offline
Campfire Guide
Starman  Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway

I will venture to make corrections to this - .....

..He did not write anywhere that the Lee Metford / Enfield rifle outperformed or were more reliable than any other

- his Mauser rifles had no failure that he wrote of,

Page nine (9) of Karamjo Safari

' I have never liked the our .303 action; it is so rough and unfinished-looking when compared with the beautiful polished products of the world famous
Springfield, Steyr or Mauser factories. But I must in fairness say that it almost never let me down. I say "almost" because there were times when
through careless loading of the magazine, a cartridge would fail to feed up to the chamber. Sometimes the nose tilted down, sometimes the magazine
failed to push the case up enough for the bolt head to catch hold. These occasions were extremely rare and luckily never happened at very awkward moments.
As for that loose fitting rattlestop bolt, nothing would stop its functioning . During the short rains when elephant are subjected to fierce sun between
heavy rain showers and flies are fierce and mud plentiful, the vegetation through which the hunter has to work his game is copiously drenched in liquid mud.
Some of this dries between showers and clouds down on your rifle action as you pass along. I have had Mauser actions with their tighter- fitting bolts
rendered almost useless through gritty mud
, while the break open double rifle under these conditions is a complete washout"

His most reliable rifle, which he mentioned several times, was his Mauser in 7x57

It is evidently clear Bell found the .303 Lee distinctly more reliable in the harsh conditions he describes.
and any [extremely rare] cartridge feeding issues he specifically attributed to human error 'careless loading'
not the Lee rifle itself.

Reliability of the Mauser was in large part attributed to its combined use with the high quality DWM ammunition.

Bell described his Frazer Mannlicher .256 bore carbine (which be obtained after his personally ordered .275 Rigby Mauser),
as his favorite rifle, until he experienced some problem with the quality of Austrian ammunition, [malfunctioning in the rifle].

quote]... - (page 94) Wanderings Of An Elephant Hunter.

"I was using at that time a very light and sweet- working Mann.-Sch. carbine, -256 bore and weighing only 5\ lb.
With this tiny and beautiful little weapon I had extraordinary luck, and I should have continued to use it in preference
to my other rifles had not its Austrian ammunition developed the serious fault of splitting at the neck. After that discovery
I reverted to my well-tried and always trusty 7 mm. Mauser."

although despite the "legend", this would not have been a Rigby made rifle at the time he was in Karamojo prior to 1907)

Can you explain why you believe It would not have been a Rigby made .275 bore rifle he used in Karamojo?

Page twenty three (23) chapter V. Karamojo - Wanderings Of An Elephant Hunter.

"And then I had my personal rifles , at that time a .303 Lee Enfield, a .275 Rigby-Mauser and a double .450-.400
and Mauser pistol which could be used as a carbine..."

Page twelve (12) Karamojo Safari.

" At the same time I got the .256. I also aquired the first rifle I had made especially for me -- a .275 ( 7mm)
Mauser by Rigby of London. It was still in the days of the round nose bullet, and luckily for me the ammo was
good, sound, reliable, German DWM stuff, powder, case, cap, and bullet. This was the hottest combination
one could have, although I knew it not at the time. Without fault or hitch ,misfire or hang fire, that little rifle
slew some eight hundred bull elephant, besides scores of buffalo, a few rhino and the occasional lion."

- Note Bell says its the first rifle he had ordered-bespokely made especially for himself , its entirely possible he
may have obtained for himself prior to that, a ready made Rigby .275 catalogue rifle, that he found available for sale.

Yes, I travel the internet correcting misconceptions about Walter Bell the elephant hunter. It's what I do.

tagged.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
#13833911 - 05/19/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: rickt300]  
Starman Offline
Campfire Guide
Starman  Offline
Campfire Guide

Page sixty two (62) Karamojo Safari

" I had besides my .275, a .303 with a ten-shot magazine.-- an excellent elephant rifle."

Page two hundred and three (203) Karamojo Safari

"In my search for the ideal weapon for my purpose , I had accumulated a number of quite good rifles.
I had a double .400 by Frazer of Edinburgh, a beautiful weapon but delicate, Then there was the .303
from the army and navy, a splendid gun with which I had killed over 200 hundred elephant."

WDM Bell, American Rifleman 1954.

"T h e . 3 0 3 B r i t i s h M a r k V I round~ nose 2l5-grain solid. The rifle has many advantages. It is light
-can be 6-3/4 pounds. Stock is bolted to action through grip and can hardly be broken, although it may work
loose and requires a very long turnscrew to tighten it. By continuous working of bolt smeared with very fine
emery powder, bolt can be brought to a fine polished performance. With its ten-shot magazine, a, very useful
hard-working and efficient rifle. Can hardly be stopped functioning by mud or sand."

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
#13834314 - 05/20/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: rickt300]  
fuzzytail Online content
Campfire Regular
fuzzytail  Online Content
Campfire Regular

Eastern N Carolina
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tell me what I have here! I am Mauser dumb! Picked this up in trade 36 years ago and have shot some! Throat was about shot out when I got it but for $100 whatever! 243 Winchester

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
#13834363 - 05/20/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: rickt300]  
irfubar Offline
Campfire Guide
irfubar  Offline
Campfire Guide

Flathead
Fuzzytail,
That appears to be an FN Mauser commercial action made in Belgium. The stock is a custom

A good conservative will give you the shirt off his back.

A good liberal will give you the shirt off someone else's back.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
#13834380 - 05/20/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: rickt300]  
fuzzytail Online content
Campfire Regular
fuzzytail  Online Content
Campfire Regular

Eastern N Carolina
Was told by a Gunsmith that it was a 1957 Stearns Mauser if that makes any sense at all. Was just curious to what I had. Been going to rebarrel to something else but other rifles got in the way. Thanks irfubar. Jere'

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
#13834383 - 05/20/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: fuzzytail]  
BC30cal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
BC30cal  Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Okanagan Falls, BC
fuzzytail;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope this 20th of May finds you well.

While I'm far from a Mauser expert, but the photos I can see that the action is a commercial one - not military - in that there's no thumb slot cut out on the left side.

The bolt shroud is a military style one however, not the commercial one found on some of the FN made rifles which had a side safety as part of the trigger. Come to think of it some of the Santa Barbara made Parker Hale rifles had a side safety too and might have had a commercial shroud.

In the top photo we can see a bit of a proof mark peaking out of the front ring. If you'd take the barreled action out of the stock and get a better photo of the proof mark it might be easier to trace it's lineage perhaps.

Anyway sir, it appears to be a serviceable arm whatever it's past might be.

Hope that was slightly useful and/or of interest. All the best to you as we head into summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

#13834402 - 05/20/19 Re: Any Mauser 98 fans out there? [Re: irfubar]  
BC30cal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
BC30cal  Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Okanagan Falls, BC
Originally Posted by irfubar
Fuzzytail,
That appears to be an FN Mauser commercial action made in Belgium. The stock is a custom

irfubar;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope you're well, warm and dry in your part of the world - it would appear we may get a wee bit of rain today, but it's a mild one so we'll be fine.

As I am trying to learn a wee bit here and if you're so inclined, did the fact that it was drilled for a receiver sight tip your thoughts more to FN than Santa Barbara?

After I'd typed my response, I wasn't sure if I'd ever seen a Santa Barbara drilled like that, you know?

The bolt handle shape could sort of be either one - as could the bolt release... I think...

This older age thing has been less fun than I'd hoped it would be irfubar - the data which was once clear and accessible is now scrambled at times.

The worst of it is I know I have the answer to my own question in a book on my own book shelves - now which book it is sir, that I can't answer! cry

All the best to you as we head into warmer weather.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

AIH 160
Who's Online Now
569 registered members (12344mag, 260Remguy, 1911a1, 257wthbylover, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 1,047 guests, and 394 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2018 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.