Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
So, I'm not really expecting to find a choice CZ 452 and I'm starting to think that I should go back to finding a good Anschutz.
I like the look of the 164's. Even though I've never held one they look like they have the right proportions to me. Full sized but not oversized kinda thing.

I'm no Anschutz guy, and I hear that the 54's will pretty much always outshot the 64's.
I want a lifetime quality sporter with CZ 452/455 level accuracy out of anything I buy, so I would appreciate hearing from all of you - your experiences and opinions.
Models, things to look (or look out) for, etc

Thanks!

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You won't regret a 54. And it will run circles around the CZ.

Different leagues....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kragman1
So, I'm not really expecting to find a choice CZ 452 and I'm starting to think that I should go back to finding a good Anschutz.
I like the look of the 164's. Even though I've never held one they look like they have the right proportions to me. Full sized but not oversized kinda thing.

I'm no Anschutz guy, and I hear that the 54's will pretty much always outshot the 64's.
I want a lifetime quality sporter with CZ 452/455 level accuracy out of anything I buy, so I would appreciate hearing from all of you - your experiences and opinions.
Models, things to look (or look out) for, etc

Thanks!

I have a couple of Anschutz rimfire sporters and would pick the Miroku Winchester 52 Sporters if forced to choose between them.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have owned a half dozen 54 sporters (1700 series) and at least that many 64 sporters, some of the 64's out shot the 54's and some of the 54's outshot the 64's. It is doubtful that you would ever wear out either in a lifetime, the 54's definitely have better triggers.

If you decide to buy a 64 sporter be sure and do your homework on them, Some of the 64's have a low-end finish and very simple triggers while other variations have a good finish and a fully adjustable trigger on them. I have never had an Anschutz sporter that the stock fit right for me - I have no idea what it is about their stocks but for whatever reason they don't work well for me.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If accuracy is what you're after and you want an accurate sporter you should be looking at the 1710 or 1712 54 action sporters or the earlier 1413 54 sporters. I know where there are two used 1712 Sporters in Meistergrade with 6.5 - 20 Leupold scopes on them in the $2500 range at a LGS. IMO, the CZ isn't even in the same league as these unless you stick an obscene amount of money into them....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
This is my sons 1416 AV 18" I've owned a 1712 and now currently have a full custom vudoo I can say this rifle will shoot as good as any. He is currently the NC state champion in FFA, 4-H & JR high rodeo light rifle he will be competing in the nationals this time next month no CZ will be in his hand!!! [Linked Image][/img]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Congrats to your son,DUCKBRX!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

DUCKBRX,

Nice to see a young shooter. It appears he can shoot damn well.

Annie/ Miroku / CZ:

I like the Annie sporters ... I have several 54's in most if not all rimfires. A .222 Model 153 and some 54 hornets. As for the Miroku Repos ....the trigger , even after the "Lawyer pin" has been removed can not be tuned well.

The Mirokus are fun I have 1 left. But to call them "Sporters" is generous ....they are a club. You are not gonna carry it very far on a squirrel hunt.

As for CZ....I love the style of the 452 American. The safety and trigger leave room for improvement. But for < $ 500.00... one can be shooting. As the old adage " you get what you pay for".

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Exactly!

I'd be looking in the $500 range so looking for a used 64 action. I doubt ill ever shoot it as well as he does though. 👍

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Always nice to see young shooters doing well. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DUCKBRX, congratulations to your son. That buckle is nearly as big as he is. Good luck next month at nationals.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by DUCKBRX
This is my sons 1416 AV 18" I've owned a 1712 and now currently have a full custom vudoo I can say this rifle will shoot as good as any. He is currently the NC state champion in FFA, 4-H & JR high rodeo light rifle he will be competing in the nationals this time next month no CZ will be in his hand!!! [Linked Image][/img]

Just awesome!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
i love to see young men shoot well. not enough are taught to do so by their pops imho. i have tried my best to teach my (2) age 14 and 8 sons to shoot well,tie strong fishing knots and change the oil in whatever i happen to have on the ramps at the time which they will later inherit for a period of time to show me they are responsible drivers.
good on you for carrying on this most important exercise,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a 64 and two 54s.
All are very accurate guns.
If you measure closely the 54s might be a bit more accurate, but not much.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DUCKBRX

Looks like a serious young man. Good job, Dad.

Wouldn't expect to see a CZ in serious competition. They are, however, very nice sporters at a great price point in a market largely abandoned by American companies. For a bit more, they can be spruced up significantly, and the new one looks like it makes even that unnecessary.

A range buddy recently picked up a an Anschutz sporter from Bud's with really killer wood, a lottery winner for certain, and totally by chance. I forget the model, but it cost him about a grand. I'm pretty green, even without seeing how it shoots as yet.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks everyone.
It looks like a 64 based sporter is on my short list.
Ill have to see what competes with them at the same price point.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
64's can't hang.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cisco1

DUCKBRX,

Nice to see a young shooter. It appears he can shoot damn well.

Annie/ Miroku / CZ:

I like the Annie sporters ... I have several 54's in most if not all rimfires. A .222 Model 153 and some 54 hornets. As for the Miroku Repos ....the trigger , even after the "Lawyer pin" has been removed can not be tuned well.

The Mirokus are fun I have 1 left. But to call them "Sporters" is generous ....they are a club. You are not gonna carry it very far on a squirrel hunt.

As for CZ....I love the style of the 452 American. The safety and trigger leave room for improvement. But for < $ 500.00... one can be shooting. As the old adage " you get what you pay for".

My primary tree squirrel hunting rifles are an Anschutz 1502, a Marlin 917M2S, and a Remington 504, all chambered in 17HM2. Neither the Anschutz, nor the Marlin, are sporters and I regularly carry them on squirrel hunting without undue hardship, so the Miroku 52 Sporters wouldn't pose a challenge, even for an old guy like me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Savage Anschutz model 54 sporter will probably be the very last rifle that I would sell. I plan on handing it down anyway.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

The Mirokus are nice. If you love 'em enough you can cart 'em . But , you cannot get the trigger below 32-36 ounces, even after you knock the "lawyer pin" out.

I like 'em and played around with both flavors quite a while.

The 54 Savage / Anschutz can be found for under a grand , often with a scope. They look and feel and carry like a sporter.

Hard to beat and if I see one before you .....I will own another.

Best,

Chuck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 3,005 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.