Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have brought my 6.5 CM Browning Hells Canyon Long Range rifle with the McM stock to the range a few times now, and it does not let me down. I will eventually get a Timney for it but that is my only complaint. Trigger could be better. It delivers 1/2 to 3/4 MOA consistently. Clean bore or dirty bore. I have only used Hornady factory 143 ELD X loads. Not sure if I am going to hand load for it but I am stocking up on brass.

Currently my range only goes to 550 yards and it is a blast to shoot steel plates with regularity. No, it ain't a hiking around rifle but will be great for bean fields. I almost bought a Tikka but I could not be more pleased with the Browning. It gives my .257 bee with a Bartlein barrel a run for the money.accuracy wise.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

BP-B6

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sako

I've only had 1 Browning BOLT C F, - B B R - and it would NOT shoot accurately AFTER being returned to Morgan Utah.

ATST, my pard had the same rifle in 7mm RM and it was Great.

< also have had BLRs in 243 & 358. **NO problems**

I also had a B L R 22 rf and KICK my butt over and over for letting it get away from me.

I've ALSO seen many posts here in the 'fire' about different Brownings that I've had no experience using and people like them.
I loved the 60* lock and BUTTER smoothness.

WE have to ignore the PREJUDICE of some about several things.

ALL, ALL that matters is that YOU are happy.

Good Luck

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/17/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dunno if you'd call it disdain; what I've seen is some concerns about the complexity of the newer ones under harsh conditions, along with a few examples of troubles that supposedly occurred. For my part, the metro-sexual styling is off-putting, but all I've seen have shown good workmanship. Another issue is their rather hefty price tag.

Brownings are also sold in Europe, and it appears they do pretty well there. Yurrupeans don't buy and sell guns as willy-nilly as we do, and people who can afford to hunt generally have the bucks for whatever they want. Browning's styling is pretty mild compared to its EU competition too, I think. Their new straight-pull is pretty price-competitive with others on the market and should sell. Unlike the others, it returns to battery under its own power after you flip it back, which would seem to be an advantage, if it works.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't know anyone that actually owns a Browning rifle that doesn't like it. I love the hells canyon as well. But, I don't think it has a mc millian stock does it?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yes. It has a bedded Game Scout stock. Depends on the model. Same gun but different stock is offered. I have a game scout on my rem .257 bee and like it a lot. Go to the browning web page and I am sure they are listed.

Metro sexual styling? OK

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
As long as it is not used in Alaska they are fine. They tend to disintegrate above a certain parallel

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Gotchya. That's quite different from the one looked at. But I like it.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Everyone I've ever hunted with that owned a Browning really liked them. Range visits with the guys always impressed me. I just never could get away from Remington in the early days and now Sako/Tikka today.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
As long as it is not used in Alaska they are fine. They tend to disintegrate above a certain parallel

Let me tell my hunting partner that uses a Browning A-Bolt II 300 Win Mag that. He did start bear hunting and bought a Savage 116 .338 WM though, so maybe the Browning did disintegrate after all. smile
I think my late father-in-law was on to something, He hunted with an A Bolt II and bought his boys' Rem. 700's.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The ONLY browning rifle I had issues with was a 300 RUM stainless A-bolt. It would not shoot for beans!!!!
They do not make it anymore which tells me that the barrel was too thin for such a violent cartridge.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I used a BAR in the Navy and it seemed to work just fine.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have a BAR in .338 that shoots pretty good and the wood is very nice.
My 6.5 Creedmoor doesn’t hold a candle to my .257 Wby Mag.

Last edited by Chrisk1977; 05/17/19.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hudge

Let me tell my hunting partner that uses a Browning A-Bolt II 300 Win Mag that. He did start bear hunting and bought a Savage 116 .338 WM though, so maybe the Browning did disintegrate after all. smile
I think my late father-in-law was on to something, He hunted with an A Bolt II and bought his boys' Rem. 700's.

Read some of the browning a bolt posts here by a lot of alaskan posters.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah just dont take it to Alaska and a Browning bolt rifle will make you a great hunting rifle 👍 But if your foolish enough to it take to Alaska it will disintegrate right in your hands from the brutal environment 😁.....Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To the OP......sounds like a nice rifle. I have an X-Bolt that is very accurate.

I live/hunt Southeast AK with no issues in and out of boats and whatnot. The only thing that irritates me is the right handed palm swell as I am a lefty that prefers the right handed setup.

Last edited by AKduck; 05/17/19.

Yup.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've got an X-bolt synthetic in 325WSM with a skinny barrel - consistent 3/4MOA shooter. A bit of an odd shape to the stock and heavy trigger but that's the only criticisms I have of it.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We have an X-Bolt Walnut in .375 H&H. It's a great rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hudge

Read some of the browning a bolt posts here by a lot of alaskan posters.

Yeah, I read them and just mostly laugh. I was also warned I needed a CRF to hunt here and the no one uses push feed. The majority of people I met hunting here wouldn't know push feed from CRF. As long as the gun goes boom when they pull the trigger and the bullet hits what they are shooting at, that is all they care about.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've had an A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker for 20-odd years. It is very accurate - one ragged hole at 100 yards more often than not - and has been very reliable .It is a nice light little rifle too.

I like the location of the safety, and that it locks the bolt closed. I find the magazine arrangement very handy for what I do - put the loaded mag in when I start hunting, take the rounds out in one go when I come to a public road or back to camp - and I can top it off quickly through the action if I need more rounds to drop the rest of a mob of pigs. That and the slick action have allowed me to drop five or more pigs out of a mob before they can get away, on more than one occasion. I don't even need to look at the rifle to stuff more rounds in, and have done it while running to keep a mob in sight.

I've knocked off a number of deer and goats with it too.

I am unlikely to take it to Alaska though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
269 members (1lessdog, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.