-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We've got a Poplar tree growing in the yard. It's about 25 or 30 foot to the top.
The trunk splits into two separate trunks about 8 foot from the ground.
Last year in the spring, I saw it was beginning to split apart down the trunk, so I used a big ratchet strap to bind the tops together and left it all summer, last fall it looked pretty well healed over. I was afraid of the strap getting grown over and took the strap off.
I wish I hadn't. Sometime in one of our windstorms the healed split broke again, splitting the main trunk down to about 3 1/2 feet from the ground.
I'd kinda like to save this tree if I can. I put another ratchet strap on it but I can't get it pulled tight enough to close the gap completely.
It's far enough from the house I'm not worried about it damaging anything, so that's not a concern. I'd just like to save the tree if I can. Is there anything else I can do? Wondering if I should've left the strap on and maybe used something to seal the split?
Any suggestions?
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Fill the split with wood glue and crank it back together? Bigger come-along?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Why not pull it back together and get a piece of chain and put it around both parts permanently?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Get a chain binder, and a short section of chain that is long enough to get the job done.

Ratchet it together, and leave it.

The chain will keep it secure forever, where a strap will weather and break with time.

[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen trees bolted together.
Big washers or plates, bolts lined up vertically.
Have fun drilling those holes!

Also, you might need to look up toward the top.
He tops are the levers that are splitting the trunk.
Some trimming and cables may be needed.
Be careful with the trimming though.
The split trunk is already stressing the tree.
This won't heal, the supports are permanent.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Cables are what a pro arborist would probably use.

Even with it cabled back together....the tree is still compromised. Rot and fungus will probably weaken the trunk further.

Generally a cable job would be used to prevent a trunk failure.

From a safety standpoint, I would remove the tree.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Cables are what a pro arborist would probably use.

Even with it cabled back together....the tree is still compromised. Rot and fungus will probably weaken the trunk further.

Generally a cable job would be used to prevent a trunk failure.

From a safety standpoint, I would remove the tree.

From little forestry I remember from school a couple of lifetimes ago... I believe that split trunk trees are culls.

Unless it has a pretty good reason for being left in place, I belive you are right, Jim.

I do have a couple that I've cut the weaker branch off, and the tree lives on.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless it were sentimentally valuable, I'd cull it and plant another right there. Poplars grow fast.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bolted an apple tree back together five years or so back but it is a lot smaller than what you are dealing with. The side that was splitting finally died but the other side (and it is larger) is still producing apples. On a tree as big as yours I too would cut it down and plant another.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was growing up there was a Maple tree in our back yard that had been hit by lightning and split down the middle. That happened before I was born and someone had wrapped what looked like 1/4" steel rod around the split.

It was still there when the tree was cut down about 35 years later and the tree was still healthy. It just needed to be removed because it was too close to the house.

For the Poplar, I think I'd take it down and replant, since it's always going to be a hazard in storms. Trunks that branch like that need to be pruned as soon as it's noticed.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trees that split in to a "V" shape should be pruned as soon as possible. The wind will get the two sides moving independantly and they will always split eventually. Best way to really help the tree is to pick the best side and cut the other off. Sooner the better.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Poplar trees are not long life trees. At30 feet, it doesn't have much time left. I'd plant another

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
7mm. If the tree is that important to you and I assume it is a tulip poplar tree, call a professional certified arborist. Have to use common sense if this it’s practical to save the tree. If this is a specimen tree then it probably can be pulled together with a com-a-long, maybe 2 or 3 1/2” or 3/4 threaded rod thru the split base and bolted and a cable connecting both halves up in the crown. Thinning may also be needed. This type of wound even if fixed most likely will fail sometime down the road. Call a professional for a opinion.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If it is any true poplar it is not worth saving and bound to create bigger problems when it comes down. I can understand trying to save a tulip poplar, but it is almost surely not worth it even for a decent tree. Now it is possible the lumber can be salvaged. Start driving metal in and all that goes away. The wood will also rot while standing.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,071 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,072
Posts18,463,761
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.