Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Its more a point of people reading a book and then purposefully limiting the scope of their diet.

I only eat P ussy_!

Me too.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Artie's father's recipe looks delicious.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by sawbuck

Artie's father's recipe looks delicious.

He shot it for eating from his vegetable garden.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Lewis & Clark and company survived on bears too.

Aliens, too.

Cowboy and Aliens, the movie. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by steve4102
Uhhh....I think you got that backwards.

Rabbit starvation is caused by a lack of fat.....not protein.

Yup, same with Moose meat.

No way? Moose will kill you too? Don’t all game animals have a low fat content. Lewis & Clark and company survived on venison and elk until they got to the Pacific NW and injuns hooked them up with salmon, clams and crab...😎

L and C ate a whole lot of dogs as well getting to the pacific, if you have not read their journals they are worth it. I mean they ate a whole lot of dogs.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I suspect that we are gonna get familiar with all known methods of cooking rabbits.

We have two does. They produce protein at an astounding rate!

I will for sure try your method!

JC, if you don’t have a cooking thermometer, I recommend getting one that attaches to the inside of your pot. Now, you can see when the temp reaches 375* to start adding the Rabbit pieces. Don’t stuff the pot with more than 2 rabbits. You’ll want to do 2 batches. They just cook better this was...

The frying method is just like frying chicken. Enough oil and enough burner heat to keep them crackling in the pan...Watch them! Turning each piece over as it browns up...

I’m sure you can cook. Just giving you a tip on making it turn out beyond your imagination if you’ve never cooked them.

Post pictures....I’m outta Rabbit. Would love seeing someone having a pile of them for a meal. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PPosey
Originally Posted by steve4102
Uhhh....I think you got that backwards.

Rabbit starvation is caused by a lack of fat.....not protein.

Yup, same with Moose meat.

No way? Moose will kill you too? Don’t all game animals have a low fat content. Lewis & Clark and company survived on venison and elk until they got to the Pacific NW and injuns hooked them up with salmon, clams and crab...😎

L and C ate a whole lot of dogs as well getting to the pacific, if you have not read their journals they are worth it. I mean they ate a whole lot of dogs.

Damn, just damn...I guess there must’ve been a dog named “Lucky” along the way that survived. 😎

“Molon Labe”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There was a restaurant here called "The Rabbit Habit".
I never made it, heard it was good food.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Rabbit is awesome eats, albeit, winter fare only in most parts due to warbles...They taste like chicken.

Any idea how long it would take for a stranded or lost person to start suffering from lack of protein the body needs eating just Rabbit?

😎

Have seen lots of cows with warbles, never a rabbit.

Warbles would not be an issue, tularemia is an issue and will kill you dead. If eating rabbits, hares, or rodents, one is well advised to become familiar with symptoms of tularemia and always wear rubber gloves when dressing such animals.

Dude, we’re all ears....Explain forth. I’ve cut hundreds of white cellos tumors out of game...What’s the signs of tularemia? I can google, but I would prefer hearing from someone who’s seen it. 😎

Fire up your google fu. I don't kill many bunnies and have not eaten a cottontail since 1976. I have never actually seen a tularemia infected rabbit. But documentation abounds.

See tularemia, rabbit fever, deer fly fever, and bacterium Francisella tularensis.

Beavers get it too.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Sounds like the Paleo-Keto-WTF-0 diet.

People are weird.

Kinda like how corn killed off a pile of Indians.

JC, that Keto diet is supposed to put your kidneys into a kind ketosis...Hence the Keto name...No thanks! I’ll eat a Rabbit and a moose 😎

I guess its kind of different.....but to an EMT hearing "ketosis" is not such a good thing!

I thought it was ketoacidosis that was bad, and ketosis, not bad?

Yep

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Rabbit is awesome eats, albeit, winter fare only in most parts due to warbles...They taste like chicken.

Any idea how long it would take for a stranded or lost person to start suffering from lack of protein the body needs eating just Rabbit?

😎

Have seen lots of cows with warbles, never a rabbit.

Warbles would not be an issue, tularemia is an issue and will kill you dead. If eating rabbits, hares, or rodents, one is well advised to become familiar with symptoms of tularemia and always wear rubber gloves when dressing such animals.

Dude, we’re all ears....Explain forth. I’ve cut hundreds of white cellos tumors out of game...What’s the signs of tularemia? I can google, but I would prefer hearing from someone who’s seen it. 😎

Fire up your google fu. I don't kill many bunnies and have not eaten a cottontail since 1976. I have never actually seen a tularemia infected rabbit. But documentation abounds.

See tularemia, rabbit fever, deer fly fever, and bacterium Francisella tularensis.

Beavers get it too.

L&C supposedly ate a lot of Beaver Tail...I’m sure Lewis or Clark was a direct ancestor of mine. 😬😎

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've killed and eaten several thousand cottontail rabbits in my life. They are good fried, scalloped or in a casserole. They don't taste like chicken, they're better. Wild cottontails taste alot different than pen raised domestic. The wild ones are much more flavorful and better than pen raised by far. I'd need to be pretty desperate and hungry to eat another pen raised rabbit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When it comes to new rabbit recipes I'm all ears.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This! Been there and done that too and agree 100%

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by smokepole

People are weird.

JC, that Keto diet is supposed to put your kidneys into a kind ketosis...Hence the Keto name...No thanks! I’ll eat a Rabbit and a moose 😎

I guess its kind of different.....but to an EMT hearing "ketosis" is not such a good thing!

I thought it was ketoacidosis that was bad, and ketosis, not bad?

Yep

It aint good.

I am not buying into all the diet BS.

I am MAGA.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

L&C supposedly ate a lot of Beaver Tail...I’m sure Lewis or Clark was a direct ancestor of mine. 😬😎

Beaver, I mean the furry kind, er, ah, the four legged kind, er, the rodent is very difficult to eat. It tastes just like its food source....willow bark. Have you ever chewed on a green willow twig. It might well be good fot toothache but it tastes like crap.

Never tasted the tail, but have seen the grease cooking out of a couple dead ones in the hot August sun. And I have skinned a couple. The tail is mostly fat.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Beaver, I mean the furry kind, er, ah, the four legged kind, er, the rodent is very difficult to eat. It tastes just like its food source....willow bark. Have you ever chewed on a green willow twig. It might well be good fot toothache but it tastes like crap.

Never tasted the tail, but have seen the grease cooking out of a couple dead ones in the hot August sun. And I have skinned a couple. The tail is mostly fat.

IdahoS, I mistakenly went straight to the thought of Lewis or Clark in a tepee with Sacajawea munching on her tail.

I’ve never eaten beaver tail-the 4 pawed kind, that is...But, if I was hungry and starving, I would eat anything and everything on a beaver. I’d even eat a dog. Probably not my dog, but someone else’s I would enjoy.

Thanks for the clarification on which beaver you meant. I will try and mature mentally in the future. 😬😎

“Molon Labe”
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
No fat-- gotta have fat

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Rabbits are good to eat cooked several ways. I prefer tame to wild but have eaten a bunch of wild ones. Used to have a pack of beagles and hunted them alot. Rabbits can be good fried baked broiled ,cooked in a gravy either in the oven or on top of the stove, barbequed even ground and.made into sausages. Young tame ones are delicious and can be cooked any way you want and will be tender.
Those of you talking about eating beaver tail have probably never tried to skin one. They are hard to skin and are nothing but bone and greasy gristle. You could probably eat one but it would chewy.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

People are weird.

I think that was corn mash.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

226 members (338reddog, 360bull, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 416RigbyHunter, 264mag, 34 invisible), 1,411 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,455
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.