B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Originally Posted by dSmith_45
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
The 6.5 Creedmoor is too small for elk.

The 6.5x55 is the minimum cartridge that can cleanly take any elk, at any distance, any quartering angle.

Except for the 257 Weatherby and 25-06. They will also kill elk. But you have to use magic bullets.

Looking at Hornady factory loaded 140's and Nosler factory 140's are the same exact velocity in Creed Vs Swede

Unless I missed the sarcasm (entirely possible)

Also Q for Darryle with the Miller... Is David Miller still making rifles? He was popular in the late 90's, early 00's but I haven't heard much about him in 12-15 years. Thx

I am thinking (hoping?) that this was indeed sarcasm. However, one can never tell.

Pure sarcasm on that one fellas...

Semper Fi
BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
6.5 Creedmore might be too much for elk. I was talking with a guide and he related a story for a client the year before who shot a large bull with his 6.5 Creedmore. Probably a little too far for the hunters skills, the round hit way back in the paunch, barely clipping the rear of a lung on the may out. The sucker still dropped right where it was standing. They didn't learn about the poor hit till they started dressing it, breaking it down. In the middle of this a large bear comes out of nowhere and chases them off the kill. They didn't want to shoot it so they backed off. The bear starts dragging the elk and keels over dead. The guide and client are beyond confused at this point. Use the sat phone to call the possum police who many hours later send an office out., sees no bullet holes in the bear , does a half assed necropsy, again finds no holes, takes some samples and gives the guide the green light to FO.
A couple weeks later he gets a call from the state about the case, the lab results are in. Estimated 700+ lb sow griz, dead of Creedmore poisoning.

I hear California has a bill pending to ban any and all Creedmoores, they've killed more condors than lead bullets ever did.

Last edited by cas6969; 05/18/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by cas6969

I hear California has a bill pending to ban any and all Creedmoores, they've killed more condors than lead bullets ever did.

Wouldn't be the first dumbass idea coming out of California.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
California is filled with dumbass human beings from citizens, to local politicians, to state politicians, to federal politicians. They call themselves sophisticated, I say time is running out. BTW hopefully when actions and counter actions are filed they will spell “Creedmoor” correctly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 6.5 Transgender is a favorite in California.

IC B2

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rossimp
California is filled with dumbass human beings from citizens, to local politicians, to state politicians, to federal politicians. They call themselves sophisticated, I say time is running out. BTW hopefully when actions and counter actions are filed they will spell “Creedmoor” correctly.

I would normally agree with you, but living here... there are some normal gun and freedom loving folk living here is as well. We are just out numbered by the majority of [bleep] liberals.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
More more more

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Originally Posted by dSmith_45
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
The 6.5 Creedmoor is too small for elk.

The 6.5x55 is the minimum cartridge that can cleanly take any elk, at any distance, any quartering angle.

Except for the 257 Weatherby and 25-06. They will also kill elk. But you have to use magic bullets.

Looking at Hornady factory loaded 140's and Nosler factory 140's are the same exact velocity in Creed Vs Swede

Unless I missed the sarcasm (entirely possible)

Also Q for Darryle with the Miller... Is David Miller still making rifles? He was popular in the late 90's, early 00's but I haven't heard much about him in 12-15 years. Thx

I am thinking (hoping?) that this was indeed sarcasm. However, one can never tell.

Pure sarcasm on that one fellas...

Yep sarcasm.

Except for the 6.5x55 thing. It's for sure a proven killer.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
To the OP, Assuming proper placement with proper bullets at reasonable ranges should kill elk as well as anything that walks this continent. There’s very few modern day centerfire chamberings above .22 that won’t do the job if the bullet is put in a caliber appropriate spot. Even the centerfire .22’s should be enough for anything on this continent if you hit CNS on the bigger beasts. My father in-law killed several brown bear a half century ago in Alaska with the Sako L461 Vixen in .222rem mag that’s sitting in front of me. He had the luxury of cover and only shot when presented the right shot. He never had to shoot one more than once. My now deceased buddy managed a ranch and had cow elk depredation tags that allowed him to kill some in the act of depredations. He walked out on the back deck and one shot from his .17HMR anchored a full grown cow elk with a head shot.

That’s the long way of saying that any caliber has the ability to do the job but within the parameters of bullet, placement and distance. Only the man behind the rifle can set those for himself depending on what he’s carrying. Good luck.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
751 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 83 invisible), 2,915 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.