Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I would like to be specific. I am curious about the single stage press(es) you own. No progressives please. No shotgun presses. Just single stage stuff.

The question, "Which single stage press(es) do you own and use regularly? And why"

I use three regularly. A Rock Chucker. A Redding Boss. A Lyman Brass Smith Ideal. They are all strong, well made and produce great loads. I use them concurrently, and each has a specific function in the process. The Rock Chucker resizes. The Boss bullet seats. The Lyman crimps when needed, or flares and adds powder when I load straight walled cases.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use a old RCBS "O" press for the hard work and a light Lee "C" press for seating bullets. The open front of a "C" press is much easier to get my fat fingers into and there isn't enough force to torque it as far as I can tell. Or at least I haven't seen any additional seating depth variance.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used an RCBS RS2 for 30 years. I now have a Hornady Iron Press.

I used a Lee handpress to seat bullets at the range. I'll have to see if is compatible with Hornady Lock n Load bushings.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Good evening, started with a C press, moved up to a rockchucker, gave that away to a new younger re- loader, now just have a small Lee loader & only re-load for varmint cartridges now. Lots of hand operations now since I gave most of my re-loading tools, & electric trimmers away to younger loaders. Kind of ended up were I started out re-loading & sort of enjoy the simplicity of it all. Bill out, 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
A lee classic that I use most, a quite old RCBS rockchucker that I use mostly for seating and I also have one of those cheap lee c presses that I have mounted to a 2x8 that I can clamp to the bench at the range if I want to do some reloading "on the fly"

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lee "C" press for decapping, RCBS JR2 to resize case, RCBS RS to seat bullets. They are not used exclusively, but are regularly.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day is as bright and clear in your part of the world as it's looking to be here.

Way back in '81, I picked up a Reloader Special I believe it was - the old one without the compound linkage arms anyway.

In a few years when they began to make the Reloader Special II, I believe it was - the one with the two compound linkage arms - I had to have one. So I sold the first press to a youngster for a deep discount and picked it up.

While there wasn't a substantial difference, I would say that the compound linkage arms do put less stress on the reloading bench.

Sometime about 20 years back, a shooting buddy was getting out of the game entirely and offered me a screaming deal on 3 firearms as well as his entire reloading setup - with the exception of the Dillon progressive machine which he sold separately. The press in that pack was a fairly early Rock Chucker, but I have no clue how much he used it as he mostly shot handgun and had picked up the Dillon quite early on.

Long story short then Steve, the primary press at my bench is a Rock Chucker.

If I get a bigger reloading room after the kids move their stuff out, I'll hook up another little press - have a tiny RCBS and a LEE C press somewhere in the shop - I think???

Thanks for the interesting thread sir and all the best to you as we head into warmer weather.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by roundoak
Lee "C" press for decapping, RCBS JR2 to resize case, RCBS RS to seat bullets. They are not used exclusively, but are regularly.

I also use the Lee C press for decapping.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Quite a few inexpensive Lee C presses being used. That's smart. Not every piece of reloading gear needs to cost a fortune. They make great accessory presses.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rockchucker for me.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

J
J
Gave away a RCBS Rock Chucker a few years back to a friend. The single stage presses I use now are Redding Big Boss converted to a Big Boss II, Redding T7 turret and a Lyman Brass Smith Ideal. Lately I have been using the Lyman Ideal and find it to be a great press for loading the smaller cartridges, 17 HH, 22 Hornet, 22K hornet and 218 Bee. The Lyman Ideal been a great little press so far and I sure would recommend it for those looking at a small single stage.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Forster co-ax.... but good grief they are getting expensive. Mine lives up to the ballyhoo, more or less. Hate to admit it though...with some care on my part...the runout is about the same as the Lee Loaders that I use on the kitchen table on stormy winter days. The horrible old Herter's, weighing as much as a dead priest also produces very low runout rounds. It should, the ram is a full 2" dia. It's got leverage too, used to squish down 8mm/.323 jacketed bullets to fit a .318 groove 8x57.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rockchucker. Except when I'm using a ramrod.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
What is this ramrod of which you speak? Ramrods ruin a manicure! If you wish to tap something, watch!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve;
Top of the morning and Happy Victoria Day to you sir, I trust this finds you well.

While I am most certainly not Dan and don't mean to answer for him, I seem to recall he's got a few really interesting arms which look sorta like this.

[Linked Image]

That is, I believe the purpose of the ramrod.

All the best to you as we head into warmer weather Steve.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
That isn't a real gun. A few items that look like your picture were sent to the Colonies by the British to confound naughty, rebellious Americans. How did the Brits make out with that? laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lee Classic Cast
I also have an old Lee 2001 Challenger that I use to size cast bullets.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My main single stage press is a Rock Chucker Supreme which is built like a tank. I have an old Bair single stage set up for depriming duty.

While you didn't ask about turrets I will mention that I have a current production Lyman that is set up with several turrets for handgun and straight-walled rifle cartridges.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
1971 RCBS JR. Lyman hand Press, Lee hand press. Corbin. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 1967ish Rockchucker with the bicycle grip handle. And a ten year old Forster Co-Ax that seldom gets used as the old RCBS produces ammo every bit as straight.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have two single stage presses that I use regularly, an old Pacific 007 ( similar to the newer Hornady lock n load) and a Forster CoAx. Both good, but for somewhat different jobs.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
RCBS Rockchucker circa 1982ish.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A RCBS Ammo master, a Rockchucker, a Reloader Special #5. A Herters boat anchor one, a Lee Classic 4 hole turret press used as a single stage and (2) CH H presses. The thing is, beings that I'm not married my wife couldn't object to how I spend MY money. Yes I use them all and they are scattered over 3 bldgs. Been thinking of putting one next to a computer for use in the bathroom for posting other kinds of crap on the internet. Resizing brass and posting crap to liberals on the net while taking a dump might be effective multitasking. Yup got 5 lubricator sizers too and 8 Mec 600 jrs also. Can't have too many guns ,components or reloading tools period. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reloader Special 5 bought in a kit in the mid 1990's is my only press and it has served me well. I'll always have it and am happy with it, if I ever get a second press the RCBS Summit looks very interesting.

Gerry.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Redding T-7 and a massively built blue Symplex O frame.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

172 members (12344mag, 338rcm, 1eyedmule, 257 mag, 2UP, 300jimmy, 14 invisible), 1,383 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,278
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.