24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looked at STP earlier today and found a Bauer and more Lamson options than I would have guessed... both are great, really tough reels for the money in tough situations.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm still partial to the old USA made Pflueger Medalist reels. There used to be a company called One Pfoot that sold upgrades for these reels but they don't seem to be too active anymore. Too bad as I never finished fixing up the set I have. To me, the reel is the least of my concerns. In order of importance I say first comes good line, then comes a good rod, and then after those two items have been satisfied comes the reel (which really only is a reservoir for your line).

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by S99VG
I'm still partial to the old USA made Pflueger Medalist reels. There used to be a company called One Pfoot that sold upgrades for these reels but they don't seem to be too active anymore. Too bad as I never finished fixing up the set I have. To me, the reel is the least of my concerns. In order of importance I say first comes good line, then comes a good rod, and then after those two items have been satisfied comes the reel (which really only is a reservoir for your line).

Unless you like both big fish and your knuckles... wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The old Pfluegers hang fine on my older glass and bamboo rods so I guess that does make me a big knuckle, big fish kind of guy. I never heard so much complaining about a few ounces until I got into fly fishing. But regardless of what you use it’s all fun.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
One Pfoot is still going well. Get in touch with Dan Hill and tell him Rudy says hi...

https://onepfoot.com/

It's a good day for something.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rudyc
One Pfoot is still going well. Get in touch with Dan Hill and tell him Rudy says hi...

https://onepfoot.com/

Will do and thanks

"Klaatu barada nikto"

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by GuideGun
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Ross is struggling to see industry taillights, IMO&E.

Then you're not paying attention to the world outside of AK.

The Mayfly group (Ross/Abel) is doing more than most in the last 2-3 years. Ross was indeed going downhill before the merger with Abel. But since the merger they are turning out quality reels as well as winning awards and anglers. Almost a 180 degree turn around of the company they were before. It's sad that you are writing them off due to past experiences instead of evaluating current offerings in present time.

In full disclosure I don't work for Ross either, but I have used their innovative current designs with much success for the angling that I do. Albeit not against the mighty salmon/steelhead of the AK rivers. But I'm willing to wager Ross Evolution R would handle that angling just fine.

No dog in this fight but had to Canadians in the boat today that commented of all the places they have fished the bows were unbelievably stronger than any other they had seen

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
.[/quote]
I have toasted a number of the reels you are touting...

I agree the agonizing is good, but so are many others with much better records for toughness. Salmon are not really that tough compared to many warmwater saltwater fish, but numbers can be such that reels get serious workouts, quickly and long term. An ordinary salmon day count would be an unreal bonefish day.
. [/quote]

I have guided in Alaska, not counting Humpies the number count for bones and silvers and reds is similar, not so for Kings If you tied a ten pound steelhead to a ten pound bonefish the steelhead would win if the first couple 100 yards of going backwards didn't kill it.

Last edited by Tejano; 05/23/19.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Y'know, I asked myself the same question, more than once. Bought a bunch of newer stuff, yet keep coming to the same conclusion: the old reels I've had for many decades still work....well.

For most applications the reels serve only two functions: 1) hold line and 2) balance the rod. The rest is ….IMO...fluff. Or the stuff of talk at the bar at the end of the day.

The one exception in this e=mc2 analysis is when you have to fight a big saltwater fish from the reel. Here, the modern larger arbor spools, drag systems and sealed bearings come into play. But for 80% of freshwater fly fishing at least, its all marketing.

Ohh my heaviest SW fly reel is an older Alvey - handles the big ones just fine.

JMO

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by S99VG

Well put.

I still regularly use several of the old Medalists, including a fave 1498 on a nine ft for 10wt for bass bugging here in the south. The heavyweight setup learned from Homer Circle's writings years ago - still applicable.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Rodell
I'm getting back into fly fishing after a 30+ year absence. Is there somewhere I can learn (on-line) about what would make a fly reel worth $850+? Clearly, technology has advanced quite a bit over the years but I'm at a loss to figure out what I need (or want)>

I wished I could offer advice but I'm in the same boat as yourself. I'll be fly fishing for silvers here in a month or so and I chose to try the TFO BVK Fly Rod Outfit (8wt, 9'0", 4pc) w/Lamson Remix Fly Reel. If I fly fished more often I may have chose a different set up but because not only have I not fly fished in a very long time I might only get to make an annual trip so this setup will only see a weeks worth of use a year and nearly half the cost of a $850 reel.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 72 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.