Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Regardless of brand....

When i was a kid you weren’t a big time fishermen til you had a nice enough rod that had cork handles.

Now it’s back to foam grips / handles.

I’d rather it that way. Picked up a dobyns colt today.

Though Winn grips may be where it’s at.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just put Winn grips on my Falcon bass fishing rods. Only fished them a couple times so far but they feel better to me than the EVA handles.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I prefer cork. I hate the foam handles.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
I just put Winn grips on my Falcon bass fishing rods. Only fished them a couple times so far but they feel better to me than the EVA handles.

Is it an over wrap? Or cut cork off?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Muskie guy checkin in here....

St croix rods, full grips and cork for me.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by MOGC

Is it an over wrap? Or cut cork off?

It's the over wrap.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I prefer cork for bass rods, have some that are smooth and polished from hundreds of bass’ worth of slime being rubbed into them and drying in the sun. Cork on my crappie and trout rods as well.

For catfish rods I like foam or 550 cord since they get torn up and scuffed getting jerked out of rod holders.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It depends on what you are fishing for. I've had trout take a bait so gentility that I'd never have felt the bite without a very sensitive rod and handle. A foam handle feels good in the hand, but you had better have a fish that wallops your lure to know to set the hook. I've seen a lot of the newer higher end rods with no handle material in places so that you can feel the carbon fiber rod material. Another thing is the carbon fiber itself. You can get a carbon rod at Walmart, but it isn't the same as the higher end carbon fiber rods. If you can see that symmetrical woven texture through the clear coat, you have an envelope wrapped cheaply made carbon fiber rod. The best ones are filament wound and the wrap angle makes a difference in their stiffness as well. Then there is the tensile strength of the carbon fiber itself. There were five different tensile strength carbon fibers when I was working with industrial rolls. A pultrusion is another way of making an inexpensive rod and it is stronger than an envelope wrap, but not as good as filament wound.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got cork and foam handles and really don't have a preference. I've got foam handled rods I like and others I don't and same for cork. Limited out on trout in an hour opening day with a cheap foam handled rod this year. Sure as fugg don't need an expensive rod or reel to catch a mess of fish.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer cork. The foam handles get really slick after a lot of use. Handling them wears them slick and then add a little water and I've nearly thrown them out of my hands making a hard long cast. Thus my reason for the Winn grips. The feel of the Winn wrapped grip is much better, nice and grippy even when wet. I used different colors for my different rods so I can tell at a glance which rod is which. My only complaint is that they obviously add some girth to the grip.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I like both handle materials but, if I had to choose, cork would win.

My gripe about rods and I as just mouthing it while fishing today . . .
Plastic reel seats.

Come to think of it one rod had foam, one cork on the trip.

Last edited by LouisB; 05/20/19.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In my world there is only one handle material....cork.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
on my trolling rods I like foam because they are less maintenance and we're just pulling baits anyway. don't need sensitivity or "feel"

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
All cork, even my ice fishing rods.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on the rods and their usage.
rods I'm holding and need sensitivity, I like cork.
Trolling rods I like carbon fibre handles. They clean up great and don't get torn up getting pulled in and out of rodholders.
Big saltwater rods have slick butts and foam grips.
Ultralight rods have spit grips, cork with no foregrip.
flyrods better have cork or I'm not touching them.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,780 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.