Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whelennut

[Linked Image]

I bet you get good traction. How many rounds per rifle?

It is more like pounds per rifle. I fill Dillon Border Shift bags with ammo for each gun...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I live in the middle of Wyoming and prairie dogs are all around, but I don't go prairie dog shooting like those guys in the posts with the pics. I do like to practice, and prairie dogs give me that opportunity all through the spring and summer most years (As I write this however, it's SNOWING again ---------- and so no P doggie shooting for a while here)

When I shoot them I use my rifles and a small day pack, just like when I am hunting anything from coyotes to moose.
I use a 222 or a 223 at times, but about half the time I use big game rifles and loads. That's what I mean by "practice". I don't use anything for prairie dog shooting that I would not have with me deer, antelope or elk hunting.

So as you may guess, I don't kill as many as the dedicated prairie dog shooters. The farmers love those guys, and some of the ranchers do too. They put a hurt on them. I kill a few every week, but I don't go out to shoot them for the sake of shooting them. Thank god some other men do, or we'd have far too many around.

In the last 10 years or so I bet I have killed as many and maybe more with 25-06s through 375H&Hs and I have with my 222 and 223. When I do go out to shoot them, I am usually only out for 1-2 hours and them I go back to work.

You guys that shoot them by the hundreds--------------Keep it up.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Are you concerned about richochet with the big stuff? I would be with anything over 100 grs.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mr Shrapnel,
Do you load with a Dillion for prairie dogs?
I just finished up 1,700 rounds with my single stage.
whelennut

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mr Shrapnel,
whelennut

I have a couple 650's and a 550 too...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Wow! I need to quit slacking.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by szihn
I live in the middle of Wyoming and prairie dogs are all around, but I don't go prairie dog shooting like those guys in the posts with the pics. I do like to practice, and prairie dogs give me that opportunity all through the spring and summer most years (As I write this however, it's SNOWING again ---------- and so no P doggie shooting for a while here)

When I shoot them I use my rifles and a small day pack, just like when I am hunting anything from coyotes to moose.
I use a 222 or a 223 at times, but about half the time I use big game rifles and loads. That's what I mean by "practice". I don't use anything for prairie dog shooting that I would not have with me deer, antelope or elk hunting.

So as you may guess, I don't kill as many as the dedicated prairie dog shooters. The farmers love those guys, and some of the ranchers do too. They put a hurt on them. I kill a few every week, but I don't go out to shoot them for the sake of shooting them. Thank god some other men do, or we'd have far too many around.

In the last 10 years or so I bet I have killed as many and maybe more with 25-06s through 375H&Hs and I have with my 222 and 223. When I do go out to shoot them, I am usually only out for 1-2 hours and them I go back to work.

You guys that shoot them by the hundreds--------------Keep it up.

When I first started shooting them I used my deer rifle which was my only rifle. I had some richochet
problems with 120 gr 25-06 loads. I tried the 90 gr. And finally 75 gr. HP @ 3,400 fps. No more richochet. Now I like a heavy barrel .223,
40 gr Ballistic Tip or Hornady V Max.
Whichever I can find.
I have a 220 Swift for special occassions.
I am getting all prepared to go now.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Wow! My reloading setup is inadequate!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Mr Shrapnel,
whelennut

I have a couple 650's and a 550 too...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Holy [bleep] that is impressive. How did you sneak that in past the wife?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by tikkanut

elevation is a must.....goose neck hay trailer here......

20 Vartarg........

Elevation is good when you can use the landscape as well. It is also handy to have the shooting bench that swivels 360 degrees, so you can shoot in all directions. It also helps to have plenty rifles, to keep a cool barrel...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

neat set up in the first picture, I shot pd's in S.W. Ks. when I was growing up using a 22lr, one of my favorite a few years ago Savage heavy barrel 1-9 twist, it would put 3 in the same hole using berger 70gr's. stay safe, thanks for sharing

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
To Answer Whelennut and his question:
Are you concerned about richochet with the big stuff?

Yes, which is why I still use the 222 and 223 at times. If I am on Farm land or around ranch land I use the 222 and 223

But I know of several P-Dog town that are about 25 miles out and away from any pavement, and it's common to spend the whole day out there and never see another truck, even on the other mountains. that are miles away.
So out there shooting them with anything from my 25-06 to my 404 Jeffery is just fine.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks I think you clarify things very well.
whelennut

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shooting in Utah and Wyoming I just set up on the hood of the truck. But the absolute best pd setup I've seen is what Keith used to have. A longbed 4wd pickup with a camper, one of those square things about 6" higher than the cab, with aluminum siding. There was a gun box inside with drawers, and cabinets along the side for food and ammunition. The top had a carpeted shooting rack all around the edge and a 40" square hatch. Two people could shoot 360" up there, muzzles were about 7' off the ground. A folding canopy kept things shady, made a big difference - it could often be 110deg by 9am out there.. With a big cooler and food you could spend a whole day comfortably on the prairie. It was just perfect for pds and groundsquirrels. That kind of rig was used extensively for coyote shooting in so. calif., probably still is.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That sounds like one hell of a rig. Would love to see photos of it.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OSU - It was the perfect varmint rig. I think Keith probably still has pictures.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Please post pictures that sounds great.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Very inspiring pictures, I have access to a lot of scrap steel and grabbed some 1” sq tubing and made a portable shooting table that can fit into the back of my truck for elevated shooting. I hope to get out to the panhandle of OK this year and do some blasting on p-dogs.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 15 invisible), 1,402 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,301
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.