Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#13834339 05/20/19
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Has anyone here installed a set of MPI stocks on a Marlin 1895 or other lever gun? I am thinking about getting a set for a 1895 stainless guide gun.

Any comments on durability, fitment, quality, etc?

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I have one of their bolt gun stocks and have been well pleased with it. In a recent email to them they replied that they were not taking orders any longer. Might shoot them an email to check.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
This is the email they sent.

Hello:

We at MPI Stocks, Inc. are no longer taking any orders. We are unable to operate satisfactorily after Doc Roland passed. We will continue to finish up with any pending orders, but we are not taking on any new tasks.
Thank you to all our loyal customers who continued to use our stocks over the many years of our stock making operations.

Thanks to Rich who created MPI's product and to Doc who made the stock business function.

Happy hunting!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Doc's daughter is running the show now from what I gather. I had received the same email a few months back but it seems they are back in production now with a new website. I called the number on the website and spoke to a woman a few weeks back. She seemed pretty knowledgeable and they are definitely making stocks again.

http://mpicustomstocks.com/

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

$399 for a Marlin lever...

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by GuideGun
Doc's daughter is running the show now from what I gather. I had received the same email a few months back but it seems they are back in production now with a new website. I called the number on the website and spoke to a woman a few weeks back. She seemed pretty knowledgeable and they are definitely making stocks again.

http://mpicustomstocks.com/

That's good to hear. I am pleased with my MPI stock and would get another.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve fit hundreds of synthetic stocks to Marlins, MPI and some made by another big name stock maker but unavailable to the general public. They aren’t too hard after you do a few dozen to get it figured out. Marlin tangs are shaped by a person with a belt sander so have a pretty large variance from gun to gun. This makes it nearly impossible for a stock to be a “drop in” and have any semblance of fit. So they get you close and it’s up to you to build up or cut down the stock to make a finished product.

Having done as many as I have and knowing what I do I wouldn’t want to tackle one without my mill. If I absolutely had to I’d do it with my Foredom tool but it would take longer.

If you do it don’t forget to relieve the screw hole in the butt. If you don’t you’ll either crack the stock, bend the tang screw, or both. Good luck

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Call Rick Steinhour at Extreme Rifle works in Nebraska. He is an MPI Fiberglass wizard, and will do an excellent job. He did my guide gun, that I foolishly sold. The stock job was primo! Good luck!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (12308300, 16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 80 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,612
Posts18,398,407
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.