Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
John- I noticed in your recent Sports Afield article, pictures of two rifles with Weaver-style rings...this may have been covered repeatedly (and may be a dumb question) but is there any reason for the "coin-slotted" screws to be orientated to the right vs left side of the receiver? I have a few rifles with Weaver rings and while mine usually ended up on the side away from the loading/ejection port, is there any reason, mechanical or otherwise, for this? It wouldn't seem to matter to me but just curious. Thanks

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The coin-slot screws usually end up on the side with the ejection port, for no other reason than that's the easiest way to set them up in my small scope-mounting workshop, down in the basement.

The only problem I've heard of with mounting them that way occurred years ago, when a friend of mine owned a Browning BAR in .270 Winchester. Once in a while a empty case ended up jamming the action, and it turned out the reason was the coin-slot screws were on the ejection-port side: An empty on its way out would occasionally hit the screw. Turning the rings around solved the problem. But that was back in the day when the coin-slot heads were somewhat wider in diameter than they are now.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks, John. That's about how I had it figured. For as long as I've used Weavers, I never really thought much about it. I will happily go on my way...usually I prefer the right but in this case, it looks like either side will do. smile Always enjoy you articles and posts here. Regards, Bruce

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Some people put the coin slot heads on the side of the rifle that already has "protrusions", such as a bolt handle or semi auto (not AR) charging handle. This puts all the "busy" on one side and leaves the other side "clean." Some rifles don't have a busy side, e.g. pumps and levers. Then there is the occasional ejection issue JB already mentioned.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This is going to sound silly to some but that's why I don't like Ruger rifles. You can only put their rings on the left side of the action...no other option. I've always thought they look the best and look more correct on the bolt side of the action. powdr

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've always oriented my Weavers to the left. Less junk in the way of feeding and ejecting. So, the Ruger rings don't bother me in the least. grin

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I orient those types opposite of the ejection port as well. My main objective is to have all the room there is for loading. A cleaner ejection pathway is nice also.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
This has been an interesting thread, especially point about the thumb-screws blocking the ejection port, whether for ejection or loading the magazine.

I have a bunch of different kinds of rings on my rifles, but still have quite a few Weavers, for various reasons. So I went through my collection, looking at all the rifles that have Weaver rings. Turns out I have 10, all with the thumb-screws on the right-hand side. But they don't block any part of the ejection port on any of the rifles, because they're in front or behind the port, despite me not paying any particular attention to that possibility when mounting the scopes.

In fact the scope's windage turret has far more potential for "blocking" the ejection port in all of the rifles, especially the taller turrets on many of today's scopes. Yet have encountered very few instances where even that caused any ejection problem, and none has blocked easy loading of rounds into the magazine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by powdr
.... I've always thought they look the best and look more correct on the bolt side of the action. powdr

Originally Posted by shootinurse
I've always oriented my Weavers to the left.

Personal Preference is all it is to me. I put the big head on the Left side..... the Right side of the rifle looks cleaner to me. MPO

Red / Blue
Ford / Chevy
Dodge SUX

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/24/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
L
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
This came up for me recently when I acquired a Barrett FC. Initially, I had a rail on it so tried some Weaver rings I had on hand. I don't use tactical anything so I was going for as low as I could go and it seemed that this set up intruded on my ability to load the magazine. I didn't really notice anything hitting rail or rings but the thought of keeping the right side as "clean" as possible occurred to me. I have since gone with Talleys on the Barrett.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Once while working on my B.I.L.'s jamamatic Rem 7400 Sportsman I sliced my thumb pretty good. Don't remember exactly what the situation was but I remember thinking if those big nuts on the Weavers had been turned to the other side I wouldn't have done that. They got turned and any since then have went to the opposite side of the port.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They were the lowest, cheapest rings on the market when I used a couple of sets, but what drove me absolutely crazy was trying to get the crosshairs absolutely horizontal and vertical. Once you tightened down the clamping screws on the one side, the scope would cant in that direction unless you compensated for it trial and error. Never had an issue with the big slotted screws being on the right ejection side, but certainly not my preferred scope mount.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like the Weaver rings. It took some getting used to HOW to install with scope level - square.

You can FARMER tighten and strip threads and even damage the finish on a scope BUT
in normal use I've never had a failure with Weaver rings.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shootinurse
I've always oriented my Weavers to the left. Less junk in the way of feeding and ejecting. So, the Ruger rings don't bother me in the least. grin

Yep, same here. I agree with you and gunzo... I just see it as unnecessary chit in the way and a good way to jam a finger, cut yourself or rip off a fingernail if it's on something like a semi auto. When I had weavers on my Winchester model 100, they were on the opposite side of the loading ejection port. The same goes for when I use them on my bolt actions...

Originally Posted by gunzo
I orient those types opposite of the ejection port as well. My main objective is to have all the room there is for loading. A cleaner ejection pathway is nice also.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
I like the Weaver rings. It took some getting used to HOW to install with scope level - square.

I have several sets of these Weavers. With the screws on both sides of the saddle they're a lot easier to snug up.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I love the Talley rings and bases, they take me a little time to get scope mounted properly.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
All of my weaver rings have the slotted screws on the left side so not to block the ejection ports. I wish I could do the same with the old sako rings. Their slotted screws are only on the right and sometime get in the way of ejection. The new scopes are hard to get far enough back without extension rings.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had to check how many of my guns have Weavers..... That was easy because each gun has its own folder of several pictures right here on the computer. Turns out there's seven with Weavers and all but one have that screw oriented to the left....... All scopes were mounted by yours truly. I think they just looked better visually at the time. The one gun with those screws oriented to the right is a Mossberg 500A camo 12 ga. turkey gun. Bought it used and unscoped in 1999 and put on a 2.5x 20mm Leupold two years later. And now I can't recall why it's the only one that has the screws facing to the right. Doesn't affect the functionality of it in any way and I still don't know why it got mounted like that..... At this point as long as it works I don't care. Nowadays I lean toward those vertically split Warne rings or Leupold PRW's.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by jwall

I have several sets of these Weavers. With the screws on both sides of the saddle they're a lot easier to snug up.

[Linked Image]

Problem is I believe those are only available in medium height. If you want low the top mounts are the only option.

Last edited by Clynn; 05/27/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The mediums are lower than a lot of others' lows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,770 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.