Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

There are still some Indians out on the land and they are good people.

I don't doubt it, Jim.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmmmm.....a bit painful to say.....but maybe yes fubar.

It's kind of cyclic on the Rez. Grandmothers raise the children.

We bitch about the "younger generations" but there is a marked difference on the rez.

They have really lost a lot with the passing of the older generations.

There are still some Indians out on the land and they are good people.

While I buy all that, when is it time to join the 21st century?

Is there an obligation to force them, since the old ways are neither sustainable, nor teachable now the elders are going, going gone? What if they were required to hunt and feed themselves without the internal combustion engine? No snow machines, outboard motors, ATVs? Horseback and bow and arrow baby! Gonna bitch about losing the old ways then better practice the old ways. Live the old ways. Includes the Medicine Man for healthcare. Don't know WTF they do for the dentist, but they gotta leave the rez for me to see 'em.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Old ways as in self respect??

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Quick_Karl
Fact is, the Crow hunter did NOT violate a Treaty, and the SCOTUS agrees with him.

My take is that as a Crow, within the bounds of the treaty, he can kill any animal he wants, for whatever reason he wants.

The rest is just racist hogwash.

Well that flies in face of good morals and is can be a true waste of game. When there is no responsibility the world is another step worse off again.

But the natives, like many others have been paid off WAY more than they ever should have been. They killed each other but when we won, it was our fault.

Tired of that liberal train of thought and the bills that go with it

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nothing wrong with that

Self respect includes not getting drunk and beating the crap outta your women where I come from. Let's start there.

Last edited by hatari; 05/20/19.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
You have some white neighbors that do that too!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari

Nothing wrong with that

Self respect includes not getting drunk and beating the crap outta your women where I come from. Let's start there.

Hatari,

The Indians are a classic example of entitlements ruining people

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have some white neighbors that do that too!

Yep. No self respect. Lowlifes

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Folks are just folks.

The SCOTUS just rules differently sometimes.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
"Despite their desperate straights the men and youths in the camp had somehow found the time and energy to go out in the dead of winter to massacre a camp of thirty Shoshone men, women and children, and it was those fresh scalps they had been celebrating about the night before. I often wonder what on earth were those Lakota f&&kheads thinking."

Shoshone???? You mean Comanche cousins???? Comanches were essentially Northern Shoshone until they obtained the horse in the late 17th century and finally made their way to Texas!!! But wait???? That means that the Comanche arrived in the area eventually called Texas after the Europeans were already well established in portions of the future state.

This presents a bit of a conundrum that might requre additional dialogue.

I think Brother Roger, our forum Lipano has just cause to be miffed at the Comanche.

Lets discuss!!!

Yep. Bob hit the nail on the head as usual.
After they stole horses and became horseman the Comanche came to TX and went about the business of decimating all the other tribes who were here first in TX. They killed Apaches, Tonkawas, Karankawas, Witchatas and many more. Comanche’s superb horsemanship enabled them to wipe out or run all the other tribes out of TX. And lots of Spaniards and Mexicans too. Comanches also finished off what was left of their enemies once they all hit the Rez in OK.

So as per usual Quik Kum Karl doesn’t have a fuqking clue about Comanches or any TX history. Just another dipschitt troll that doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/20/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bottom line is that ruling is going to create a schitstorm.
I have no problem with what happens on the rez, stays on the rez. And there are some tribes, like the Yakama, who have well-managed reservations with bountiful game populations, good forests, nice farms. Closer to home, the Blackfeet ranchers I've met are about 99,99 percent cowboy except for their tans.
As far as the conquest goes, the fact is, the Indians often slaughtered others without any compunction. Mistreated? Yes, but that was the standard and norm back then. Not today.
I really think the reservation model has run its course. Make the tribes shareholders in a corporation, make them plain old American citizens with the same rights and responsibilities as anyone else, and let thngs work out.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Are Ravens still protected though?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Spent lots of time working on the Fort Apache reservation in White River, AZ - had a standing personal invite to hunt Elk with a tribe member that befriended me, there. Also worked for the Salt River Reservation in AZ for a bit...

Well then you should be aware of the problems that beset reservations everywhere, and the gross wastage of game that commonly occurs.

No matter anyone's "version" of history or any contrived justification for it - Native Americans were exterminated to take their land.

Up until the very end, more Indians were killed by other Indians than were ever killed by White folks. It usually took and Indian to catch an Indian.

Birdy, please, on these fora, stop trying to interject logic and proportion. They fell sloppy dead at the end of the 60's.

Just a small comment regarding "gross wastage" occurring on reservations, I can only speak to the Fort Apache rez where I lived for a while around the turn of the millennium. There may have been some tribal members and non-tribal "poachers" wasting game, however, I knew personally the director of the tribal game department at the time and had met some of the Wardens". Wastage was frowned upon. Prosecuted? That I cannot speak to, things are different in Indian Land as some here know. There may have just been some peer pressure applied. I was gifted a front quarter, and the next year a hind quarter of elk by one of the tribal members who told me "I can't eat the whole damn thing myself". While it may be an issue elsewhere, wastage didn't appear to be prevalent on the FAIR.

Re: the OP. I'm a pretty firm believer in "contracts", otherwise known as Treaties. Until both parties agree to renegotiate the contract, and it has no expiration date, then in my mind I believe it holds as written. To bad, So sad if one of the parties later realizes it screwed itself. The Fort Apache rez is a good example, those folks got great timberlands, good grazing areas, traditional gathering areas for food and "craft" materials, kept their language long enough to still have elders that could (and did ) teach it to the younger members, some of the best elk hunting areas in the state along with a native trout found in few other places in AZ and loads of small game. Likely they won't be wanting to renegotiate their Treaty.

Someone earlier mentioned the problem of some of these documents being "200 years old". Is that an issue? Really? Seems the people of the US made a contract (Treaty?) with future generations that is over 200 years old now. Seems some of those hated "liberals" wish they could change a certain part of that contract, by fiat if they have to. I think I'll stand by not being willing to renegotiate it.

Hope your spring/early summer is going well. Get a good fan if you're not fixing the A/C wink

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ismith

First thing I thought about when I read the title was hunting crows as a kid.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hi Geno, I gotta say that the Mescalero Apache Reservation in SE New Mexico appears to be well-managed also with respect to timber, grazing and elk. Here in far off San Antonio I have taught the kids of two families from there over the years, in both cases the parents wanted the kids raised OFF the reservation tho they returned there regularly for ceremonies and holidays. Like ghettos, it may be that the more functional and successful people get off the Rez, leaving mostly those in more dire straights behind.

We had a couple from a Rez on the northern plains come down and stay with us for a while to escape a violent dispute that was going on up there. In their twenties both had spent their entire lives on the Rez. Tho adept at the ins and outs of public assistance up there, to them America as we know it was like a foreign country, even the West Side of San Antonio. The guy liked it well enough, quickly found work, and woulda stayed longer but his girlfriend went into total culture shock that only got worse so they went back after about two months.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The bottom line to this whole thing is simple.......Karl is a liberal who loves minorities. He got all mad in another thread when he didn't like anyone saying anything about Negroes, and now he's defending the Injuns. While I do believe that the US should honor the treaties they made with the Indians, I also think that a poacher is a poacher, no matter where they're poaching, and it seems to me that that this was all this case should have been about.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Poor Queer Karl.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by ismith

I believe Hunginn and Muninn do a good job of watchin’ over me!

😁

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Q
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Hi Geno, I gotta say that the Mescalero Apache Reservation in SE New Mexico appears to be well-managed also with respect to timber, grazing and elk. Here in far off San Antonio I have taught the kids of two families from there over the years, in both cases the parents wanted the kids raised OFF the reservation tho they returned there regularly for ceremonies and holidays. Like ghettos, it may be that the more functional and successful people get off the Rez, leaving mostly those in more dire straights behind.

We had a couple from a Rez on the northern plains come down and stay with us for a while to escape a violent dispute that was going on up there. In their twenties both had spent their entire lives on the Rez. Tho adept at the ins and outs of public assistance up there, to them America as we know it was like a foreign country, even the West Side of San Antonio. The guy liked it well enough, quickly found work, and woulda stayed longer but his girlfriend went into total culture shock that only got worse so they went back after about two months.

You are so full of chit its not even funny.

Like Sam Houston, I will vote for what is best for ME in 2020.
Texans read their Bibles to find what they want it to say, and are blind to what it actually says...
Q
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Like all things Texass scumbag and/or redneck scumbag -- the United States made an agreement with the Crow, and now you don't like it. NOT unusual in Texass where no Texass-an ever keeps their word. I say it is poetic justice NOT for what happened to Native Americans, but just because of y'all. Suck it up, [bleep].

I hope it goes nationwide and each Tribe shoves it as far up your fat asses as they can get it.

Voted for Trump, voted Republican my entire voting life, and will vote for Trump again - but you ass wipes are precisely why your kids will vote for liberals.

Like Sam Houston, I will vote for what is best for ME in 2020.
Texans read their Bibles to find what they want it to say, and are blind to what it actually says...
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

401 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 16penny, 31 invisible), 1,782 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,575
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.