Campfire Member
N
Good brass life I guess

You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It may be true that more Creedmoor barrels are wearing out. Not because they are barrel burners but because they are fun to shoot and folks are shooting them more and more often. Hard to wear out a 300 Win Mag barrel when you can only stand to shoot it 1/2 dozen times before you are beat up from recoil. I know when I go out with my Creedmoor I average around 40 shots per session and tend to go out at least once per week. With my 30-06 I would only take it out a handfull of times per year.

Last edited by centershot; 06/10/19.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
On average how fast do you guys shoot. Typically I like 2 minutes between shots starting after the first round with sporter weight barrels and cartridges 22-250 and up. My 223 barrels get much less respect and though I have put some throat erosion on several 223 rifles I have yet to shoot one "out" of being able fulfill it's purpose. I think I am getting ready to go through a 7-08 phase so the Creedmoor will have to wait it's turn. I shoot no less than 200 rounds a week ( not on the same rifle generally) so I do put wear and tear on barrels. And average shoot for groups for me takes 20 minutes or a bit more for 10 shots.

Last edited by rickt300; 06/11/19.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I haven't read the whole thread, but isn't one of the sacred 'fire responses that "They make new barrels every day"?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Flashman
It seems the 6.5 Creedmore is the perfect cartridge in all but one catagory: barrel life...

You will never get everything that you want.

When I was in the military, a barrel was called a WRA - weapons replaceable assembly. It was expected to wear out and need replacement. While you and your rifle are not in the military, barrels are still WRAs. Like any mechanical device, the parts wear out. It would be best to chase after the R&D people, but they will probably tell you that better, stronger and longer lasting barrels can be made with today's technology, but are cost prohibitive.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Tejano
I have a magnetic gun rack that sticks to my truck fender. I stack hot guns there with open bolt. After I've shot a couple of others, I can start over with the rotation.

Just gotta keep good records as you go.

DF

[Linked Image]

Just don't back the truck up too.

No, gotta leave it where you park it.

I have a better bench, this one is easier to set up. I even redesigned this one. Have a better version.

DF

Improved version. And, long enough for the free standing Magnetospeed, no barrel contact.

And, with this version, one's arm doesn't get into the tailgate cable...

[Linked Image]

My next project after the shoulder heals. Thanks for the inspiration.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I think the Creedmoor barrel will last a lot better than some of the other 6.5s. I have torched two 6.5-284 barrels in the past 7-8 years. One has about 750-800 and the other 1000 ish. R17 was the culprit in my opinion. I try not to use R17 in high volume stuff anymore. Most guys will never wear a barrel out, If you really do, just put another one on it. Only time it is a big issue is if you are shooting matches regularly and wear one out mid season when you don't have time to fit another one.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Tejano
I have a magnetic gun rack that sticks to my truck fender. I stack hot guns there with open bolt. After I've shot a couple of others, I can start over with the rotation.

Just gotta keep good records as you go.

DF

[Linked Image]

Just don't back the truck up too.

No, gotta leave it where you park it.

I have a better bench, this one is easier to set up. I even redesigned this one. Have a better version.

DF

Improved version. And, long enough for the free standing Magnetospeed, no barrel contact.

And, with this version, one's arm doesn't get into the tailgate cable...

[Linked Image]

I like it. Does the wind shake the truck a lot? Seems it would be a bit of a project to keep the crosshairs on the target in Wyoming or Texas lately as windy as it's been.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Borchardt
It'a a CREEDMOOR for Heaven's sake, the barrel will last forever and become more and more accurate as it ages.

Yep.”it ain’t even broke in yet!”

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by keith
PRS shooters could answer this question.

Been shooting PRS and NRL matches for 10+ yrs now. Mostly 6.5x47, little yet older brother to the 6.5 CM. I retired my first Krieger barrel at 3500 rounds when I was having trouble keeping 5 shots in 1 moa.

Alan

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Borchardt,

I almost posted something about the spelling, but apparently 6.5 Creedmoor critics (who have generally never even fired one) will also never learn to spell.

Have also seen Creedmoore, and even Creadmore.

How about Crede Moire? Kinda Frenchy-looking, for the folks in Quebec. I wanted to try German, but my keyboard lacks umlauts.

Bitte sehr, mein Herr. Hier ihre 6,5 Crüüdmoor.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

616 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,269
Posts18,448,326
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.