Print Thread
Hop To
B
BGunn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

61 nice ones from 9.5" to 14.75". Only kept a few 9.5's because of swallowed hooks.
I gave all mine away to my partner, I'll wait a few days for the walleye opener.

[Linked Image]

Lot of guys boxing out with 100 fish (2 limits), but we had to come in early.

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
GB2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
That looks like good fun, and good eating.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nice,.....nothing like eating spring perch.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My brother's got a boat up on Erie and they target the perch and walleye. His fish fry party's are great eating and a lot of fun. We usually have a big fish fry up at deer camp in Pa. the weekend before the opener.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
goghergunner, you are a rarity among Minnesota people for admitting that a yellow perch is actually eatable. Very strange that most of you guys over the state line would rather have a northern pike than a yellow perch on the menu. There was a time when anybody with a row boat could row 50 yards off shore in the Bay of Green Bay and catch a bucket full of yellow perch in short order. Not anymore. The walleyes have taken over and the zebra mussels have cleaned up the water so much that the weed growth is much deeper than it use to be, so what perch that do spawn are way off shore now. The invasive gobies brought in with ocean going shipping dumping their ballast tanks, eat everything that hatches, so our yellow perch are doomed. Eating a walleye isn't bad, but given the choice make mine a perch plate.

Bill, why hasn't Lake Erie suffered the same invasive species blight that the Bay of Green Bay and Lake Michigan has?

Last edited by Windfall; 05/13/19.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

B
BGunn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I’m not sure. When they first appeared in the lake, the doom and gloom crowd said our fishing was going to be ruined.
Now the Walleyes, and smallmouth are eating gobies like crazy, The Perch are eating the Zebra mussels in the spring (along with minnows) and switch to almost all minnows in the summer and fall.

Went out yesterday with grandson, he had a ball .

[Linked Image]

and climb on every rung.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Good Deal! Weather and Lake conditions have sucked here,still have not been able to get out and fish LOC derby

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
BGunn: Do you have any commercial netters setting nets in Western Lake Erie? The reason I ask is that the perch fishing in the central basin has deteriorated to an alarming degree. The few perch caught are less than 9 inches.
It gets worse every year. The only thing increasing is the orange buoys that mark where gill nets are set. Do you how the allocation of fish to commercial fishing compares to the take of sports fishing? Where can you find the location commercial licenses? Thanks.

B
BGunn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
There's A guy that runs perch nets out of Barcelona NY, and the Perch fishing is really tough in his netting area. This is a great Walleye area though.
Canada considers Erie a “commercial lake” and nets it pretty hard.

Canadian netting in Erie

and climb on every rung.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
B: Thanks for the article. Do you know how the commercial limits are allocated between US and Canada? I was told that no netting is allowed by the islands or Sandusky Bay.

IC B3

B
BGunn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Real roughly, it goes something like this... Ontario gets allocated 50%, NY, Ohio, Illinois & Michigan split up the other 50%...

Erie allocations

and climb on every rung.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We have very few yellow perch here in TN. I caught one Saturday. It was the highlight of the day with close to 150 big bluegills and medium size crappie.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
B: Thanks for the link. Gee, I wonder if the 1,406,000 pounds of perch taken by commercial netters in Ohio waters in 2018 had any impact on sport fisherman?

B
BGunn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The only place where I know of netting Perch in NY, is in the area of Barcelona, near the Pa. border. It’s also the only area that I know of on Erie, in NY where the perch fishing really sucks.

and climb on every rung.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
B: NY total allowable catch for perch in 2019 is 169,000 pounds. http://www.glfc.org/pubs/pressrel/LEC%20news%20release%202019_FINAL.pdf Lake Erie Committee Sets Yellow Perch and Walleye Allowable Catches for 2019

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
seal billy
Did you get the yellow perch out of the lake on the Ocoee?
Only place I know of in the state that has them.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
144 members (257 mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,444 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,897
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.