Print Thread
Hop To
C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
What is a good glue to use to repair an A5 forearm crack. I plan on removing a very little bit of wood with a small drum sander on inside and gluing a fiberglass patch on. Not going to remove much because wood is very thin on these forearms already. Wonder if fiberglass resin or two part epoxy would work better with patch? I am soaking forearm in acetone to get oil out now. Already stripped finish.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Epoxy is stronger than wood, what do you need a patch for? Relieving the fit is good, wood shrinks over time, something's gotta give, and it won't be the steel.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Epoxy is stronger than wood, what do you need a patch for? Relieving the fit is good, wood shrinks over time, something's gotta give, and it won't be the steel.

I have a 11/87 that came with a fiber cloth glued in where the forearm has historically cracked on the A5. I really don't trust simply gluing a crack together in this location. It hasn't held together on a lot of guns the wasn't cracked to begin with, why would it be any stronger now?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The main cause of a cracked fore stock on the A-5 and other action types has been a loose magazine cap. An A-5 or similar action where the barrel moves was the most damaging but any semiauto would crack the forestock if it were loose. The fiberglass mesh is an attempt to prevent the fore end from cracking when the mag cap is not tightened sufficiently. The hope is, the fore end will stay in one piece until the next time the cap is removed and hopefully replaced correctly. My grandfather would crank the cap down so tight I needed a plumber's pliers to get it off (he laid railroad track and then logged for many years and had a grip one would not believe). That degree of tightness is not needed but it does take more than barely snug.

I have owned a fair number of A-5s, some had damaged fore ends. Some had what appeared to be Elmer's wood glue holding things together, others some sort of epoxy. Both held up to the moderate use I put the guns through. But then I did make sure the magazine cap was on tight. I would use the epoxy to repair the crack. It is strong and seems up to the task. Adding a layer of fiber mesh isn't a bad idea and should give one piece of mind at the least if not added strength.

Best of luck on your repair, may it turn out as you hope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn't know that. All I've seen (not A5) cracked from the wood shrinking and the hole getting too small.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Woodsmaster is correct about why the Auto Five forearm cracks and the remedy.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
ChuckKY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MOGC
Woodsmaster is correct about why the Auto Five forearm cracks and the remedy.

I fully understand why it cracks. Bought the shotgun a week ago with cracked forearm. Can't go back in time and tighten magazine cap for previous owners, only trying to repair the damage already done. Besides loose cap, worn friction piece and relaxed recoil spring add to problem of cap loosening and forearm cracking. Already ordered both of theses.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I agree with the mesh patch for the cure...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I fixed lots of A5 cracked forearms. This was back in the 70's before todays miracle glues & epoxies. I removed some wood and used fiberglass cloth & resin. Never had any come back because they broke again.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (10gaugemag, 35sambar, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 14 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.