Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Hey fellas, looking at seriously trying to get a flight service booked for a drop camp caribou hunt for 4 guys for the 2020 season. We want to do a non guided, no camp/meals/ect provided hunt. Just fly us in ahead of a herd and leave us for a week. We are experienced hunters and 2 of the group have done this in AK before. Prior area the 2 guys hunted is no longer offering hunts because of declining herd numbers there.
Any and all help or pointers would be appreciated, i know this question has been asked before.
Also not looking to pay 3 to 4k per person to be flown in and out. Seems a bit ridiculous considering what we want.

Something about the indian and the arrow...
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The problem is how far you have to fly as a nonresident to get to caribou these days.

Considering the risks none of the guides, transporters, or charter services are making big bank...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ridgegoat
Hey fellas, looking at seriously trying to get a flight service booked for a drop camp caribou hunt for 4 guys for the 2020 season. We want to do a non guided, no camp/meals/ect provided hunt. Just fly us in ahead of a herd and leave us for a week. We are experienced hunters and 2 of the group have done this in AK before. Prior area the 2 guys hunted is no longer offering hunts because of declining herd numbers there.
Any and all help or pointers would be appreciated, i know this question has been asked before.
Also not looking to pay 3 to 4k per person to be flown in and out. Seems a bit ridiculous considering what we want.
You need to start contacting air services soon and get your dates locked in, otherwise you won't get the area you want. Air services book up quick once the draw results are released.

Art, how's the Mulchatna herd doing these days, have they recovered enough to make them a worthwile option?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The demand for quality fly-in hunts far exceeds the supply and booking one of those quality flight services is getting very difficult.

The better outfits are booked mostly with repeat customers that have preference because of their known capabilities in the bush.

If there is a flight service looking for business, they are either new or there is some other reason.

I often have coffee with guides and bush pilots and they all have numerous stories of "high maintenance" hunters.

Hunters search for references for flight services and I see that reversing as hunters may have to provide references some day.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
You need to start contacting air services soon and get your dates locked in, otherwise you won't get the area you want. Air services book up quick once the draw results are released.

Art, how's the Mulchatna herd doing these days, have they recovered enough to make them a worthwile option?

Not very good. The wolves kill the calves quick. Last I read they were not even up to the low end of the target herd size. That puts them at around a tenth of the population in the glory days. Another example (like last year's Unit 13) of management failing to kill enough caribou to keep them in check.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK
The demand for quality fly-in hunts far exceeds the supply and booking one of those quality flight services is getting very difficult.

The better outfits are booked mostly with repeat customers that have preference because of their known capabilities in the bush.

If there is a flight service looking for business, they are either new or there is some other reason.

I often have coffee with guides and bush pilots and they all have numerous stories of "high maintenance" hunters.

Hunters search for references for flight services and I see that reversing as hunters may have to provide references some day.

Yup, I have heard the same sentiments and have seen the same thigh maintenance" hunters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

Not very good. The wolves kill the calves quick. Last I read they were not even up to the low end of the target herd size. That puts them at around a tenth of the population in the glory days. Another example (like last year's Unit 13) of management failing to kill enough caribou to keep them in check.

Damn, was hoping to have a chance to hunt that herd some day. Guess i'll have to stick to the 40-Mile or Malcomb herds.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The McComb herd is one of the smaller herds but is doing well and contains some really nice bulls but access is difficult.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It is a hell of a gamble, as mentioned in this post. My group last year went 1 for 2 on nice bulls but saw plenty, and the group after us went 0 for 5- just terrible weather the entire time that barely allowed them to hunt, and when they could, the herds weren't there. It was a hell of an experience, but I was difnitely lucky to have come out of it successfully. Feel free to PM if you'd like more specifics.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd say its almost not possible these days.

Not at the rate you want to pay anyway.

Its not like it was 10-20-30 years ago for sure.

Flight time per hour isn't going down either. I usually figure at least 4 hours minimum flight time period. More if you have to bring out game in the end. Beavers were 1600 an hour when I looked a year or so ago IIRC. Not cheap at all. Yep you can get it done with smaller planes too, but the point is cheap isn't around.

And I agree on the hunters, it should be you submit an application, for all the issues they can cause.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Holy moly! I think the last time I chartered a Beaver, about 6-7 years ago, it was $750 an hour.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by TheKid
Holy moly! I think the last time I chartered a Beaver, about 6-7 years ago, it was $750 an hour.

I doubt it.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Mccomb herd hunt is resident only

Last edited by Hydemill; 01/19/21.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Wow. Those transport/rape prices are insane. There must be incredible demand for caribou hunting?

I recall 30 years ago caribou numbers were better but hunting them was affordable as well. Something how thats changed in fairly short timeframe. It makes OTC elk tags look like a downright bargain.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by VernAK

Yup, I have heard the same sentiments and have seen the same thigh maintenance" hunters.

Thigh maintenance hunters are a different breed. They have a leg up on the competition for sure.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Some say they don't know squat, but they have quadruple the odds of success compared to the average.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just saw that, myself! Well played!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Stop pulling my leg.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sorry to derail the thread. I thought you would find these femur jokes more humerus.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by cwh2
Sorry to derail the thread. I thought you would find these femur jokes more humerus.
Humerus or not, I don’t believe your apology has a leg to stand on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
851 members (12344mag, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 83 invisible), 3,250 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,195
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.