Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
TC used to have their manual for the muzzleloaders on line.
Don't know if s&w screwed that up also .

Last edited by LouisB; 05/21/19.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Get yourself a bullet puller - it's a small attachment for your ramrod. It has a self tapping screw at the end and a brass disc as a bore guide. Usually works fine especially if you have a good ramrod. And your bore isn't crudded up.
Also, if you need to load up the nipple pathway, use fine powder if possible.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by kragman1
Get yourself a bullet puller - it's a small attachment for your ramrod. It has a self tapping screw at the end and a brass disc as a bore guide. Usually works fine especially if you have a good ramrod. And your bore isn't crudded up.
Also, if you need to load up the nipple pathway, use fine powder if possible.

Yup. If you're shooting sabots, you'll pull the bullet out of the sabot, then have to screw it into the sabot and pull that out, too. I know this, because. ....a 1:48 should shoot a 230-250 gr. XTP, very well. I have 1 that will shoot a 300, but found that most will not. Stick with the XTP, not the pointy bullets. Pointed bullets have not stabilized well, in my 1:48.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Overkill45
The Jonathon Browning mountain rifles used Green River Rifle barrels or another supplier in Utah. Miroku had nothing to do with them.

According to the March 1980 American Rifleman 'NRA Test', The Browning Mountain Rifle was made for Browning by Arms Technology, Inc. in Salt Lake City, Ut. The barrel was cut rifled but the maker was not identified.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The barrels were supplied by a guy named Cheney and guess who he was friends with?....Doc White of GRRW. Around that time 1975 Green River brought out the Plumb Center barrels which where cut rifled. Before that they used Douglas and some made on P&W machines bought from Bill Large.

Chances are very good they used barrels or blanks sourced through Green River. Toby Bridges makes the same claim but i got my info from calling ATI. https://www.namlhunt.com/ml-collecting.html

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Sorry for the off topic but i got additional info from the owner of ATI back then...Actually his son got it from his father who is now 86.

The barrels came from a small company in Heber Utah. Sadly his father could not remember the name of the company. Bliss Titus had a shop in Heber much earlier but thats all i can find atm.

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
With a 50 cal. round ball and 60 gr. of Goex with a 28" barrel, what is the Muzzle velocity?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Just about everybody "dry balls" a smokepole eventually! I like the CO2 cylinder method of squirting the ball out of the barrel. Places like Dixie Gun Works in Union City Tennessee sell that little accessory with either flint or percussion adapters. My Traditions .50 caliber flintlock likes 75-80 grains of 3-F Goex black powder. Patch thickness is important also- - - -just going from a .015" thick "dry lubed" denim patch to .017" tightened up the group on my competition chunk gun from a 2" group at 60 yards to less than 1/2". We swab the barrel with alcohol and several dry patches between every shot, and weigh pre-measured powder charges down to 2/10 grain accuracy for those rifles. Another sneaky trick is to put a couple of 1/4" thick felt wads between the powder and the patched ball to prevent patch burn-through on the way down the barrel. A lot of the target tricks also work on a hunting smokepole, since one shot is all a deer is likely to give you time for! The first one better count!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,107 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,946
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.