-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Starting on my 40X project soon and need to start rounding up parts I need so I thought I would turn to the experienced folks here ...

I already turned down the barrel, now I need to round up some bottom metal so I can get some measurements and start the inletting on my stock. I've looked at the PTG Oberndorf metal and it would probably meet my needs, but hard to tell from the pics on Midway's site. I do like the in-the-bow release which I can possibly modify later for a repeater mag cover release, but I can't tell what level of quality this is from the pics. Has anyone here used the PTG metal? Feedback?
I've looked some of the other pieces available, including the Sunny Hill but I just can't afford at this point to spend that kind of money on bottom metal. I do know I don't want to use the cheesy Remington pot metal bottom metal so real steel it is or nothing....

Any ideas, critique, finger pointing, or good jokes welcome.....

Thanks for your rapt attention to this semi-important matter....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Go ADL.

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I would but I'm planning on building a 40X Repeater clone so need the bottom metal for the mag access..... I'll leave my Target 40X as is.....

Bob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd Vudoo..................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
[quote=Sheister]Starting on my 40X project soon and need to start rounding up parts I need so I thought I would turn to the experienced folks here ...

I already turned down the barrel, now I need to round up some bottom metal so I can get some measurements and start the inletting on my stock. I've looked at the PTG Oberndorf metal and it would probably meet my needs, but hard to tell from the pics on Midway's site. I do like the in-the-bow release which I can possibly modify later for a repeater mag cover release, but I can't tell what level of quality this is from the pics. Has anyone here used the PTG metal? Feedback?
I've looked some of the other pieces available, including the Sunny Hill but I just can't afford at this point to spend that kind of money on bottom metal. I do know I don't want to use the cheesy Remington pot metal bottom metal so real steel it is or nothing....

Any ideas, critique, finger pointing, or good jokes welcome.....

Thanks for your rapt attention to this semi-important matter....

The only Oberndorf floorplates I see on Midway are for centerfire rifles. I’m not so sure there are any parts for a 40-X rimfire repeating rifle. The discontinued custom shop repeaters go for some big bucks and magazines are practically nonexistent. You might be able to adapt bottom metal and a magazine from a 547 but I don’t know if you could buy the parts from Remington or anywhere for a 40-X rimfire repeater.

Last edited by navlav8r; 05/11/19.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not concerned about the repeater portion, I already have that covered with plans, etc.... In fact, the original sporters used Marlin 25N magazines that were modified in house for the 40X.

The 40X rimfires used standard 722 bottom metal even when they didn't have a magazine feed. These have the same hole spacing as the 700 Short action but they look like crap. Looking for something a little more classic looking and then when I have time I can machine the magazine opening in the floorplate to accept the magazine and release as necessary.

Just looking for some decent looking bottom metal that isn't junk when I receive it. I've heard good and bad about the PTG, Sunny Hill, etc... and I can't afford to buy this stuff twice.... And I want it to be high enough quality I can polish it and have it rust blued...

Bob

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Possibly cobble one of these into what you need?

https://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=4776

they have some for other rifles as well.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You might check with James Anderson. He has done a few with beautiful bottom metal.
Go to watchaddic's pics of his bottom metal on his James Anderson Custom.
James is one of the very top metal and wood carvers around.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582494&page=10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

462 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 43 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,398
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.