Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I' m headed out for a two day rock chuck hunt here in Idaho that usually produces a large number of chucks each year.

In preparation for that I check my rifles that I will be using and today I found that my .223 26" barrel suppressed shooter was about a 1 1/2 inch higher than last year. Not difficult to correct but it made me wonder how that happens when I'm using the same components in the loads from the previous year and the indexed scope turrets show no movement. ?????

The .17HMR, I use for the close up work, was right on the money and didn't need any refinements.

Any thoughts on the change of point of impact? Perhaps a different moon phase......... or ..........the Coriolis effect has sped up ?

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wood stock??

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have the same question.
I took four varmint rifles to the range this week.
They are all mcmillan and HS precision stocks.
Used some of last years left over loads that are exactly the same as a year ago.
The rifles were all 1-1.5” high at last sight in, a year ago.
All of them needed some scope adjustment, not a lot, but up to 1.5”.
Not a big deal, but why are they not still sighted in?

NRA Patron
Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
Wood stock??

Nope this one is also a McMillan.

I've had 10/22's also have this happen to them and those have been restocked with Hogue overmoulded and Elysium Barrels on them.

The mystery continues.........................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had the same thing happen, which is why I sight in my rifles every year before I hunt with them. I chalk it up to trying to keep ahead of the gremlins in the closet....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It’s global warming causing that!!!

I check my rifles before hunting season. Sometimes I have to adjust, sometimes not.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My hunting rifles have 4 and 6 power scopes and open sights. I always check before season. Only time they need adjustments is if I change the load.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I presume your 223 was sighted in previously with your can attached? Adding a can doesn't change accuracy but can change POI.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Any changes to the suppressor or torque on action screws? I'd also check the base and rings. I've seen that change the elevation and/or groups. Other that I'll blame the Russians wink

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I notice changes in POI during cold weather sight in and it changes for warm weather. I have H335 for my warm weather shooting and RL7 for cold weather.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Light conditions, air density,wind - but more than likely something different in your bench set-up conditions. Like resting the stock at a different place on the forearm, gripping the stock differently,(tighter / looser etc).
I have encountered the same thing have usually been able to correct it by addressing / correcting something in my bench technique.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
What drover said.

Though will note that plenty of powders do not always work the same way at various temperatures. Which is why, living in Montana, I tend to use more temperature resistant powders than H335 and RL-7. Have enough rifles that using different powders for different conditions would be a real PITA.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Thanks for the posts, lads

Here are a couple of answers to questions posed:

1. The Can has been on that rifle for over 8 years

2. All action screws and scope mounts tested each sight in period with a Fat Wrench - all the same torque

3. I'm using RL-7 in those .223 loads

4. Bench techniques - Using the same equipment but might have changed resting points.... but not sure on this one - could be part of the answer

This is still a mystery unless my bench techniques are the culprit which could be the case. I'm liking the response of Climate Change the best!!!!!!!!!!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There is also the possibility that you may have unknowingly bumped the scope hard enough to have caused a change.

Give us an update next year.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You said you were using the same components as last year, are these newly loaded rounds with those components or is this ammo that has been loaded for a time now?
Just curious.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
You said you were using the same components as last year, are these newly loaded rounds with those components or is this ammo that has been loaded for a time now?
Just curious.

Its the same ammo loaded the previous year for the hunt. No changes in the ammo part of the formula, thinking it might be the bench rest techniques.

It couldn't be shooter error.......................................right????

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Even the neck tension on your ammunition can change after storing it for a length of time.
Gunpowder can absorb moisture.
Light conditions, wind, can change.
People who shoot competition without sighters are considered to be handicapped.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Could even be case weld to the bearing surface of the bullet causing a rise in pressure. Usually occurs (I think) in new brass More than with used brass.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 45 invisible), 2,960 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,569
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.