Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I decided to start a new thread on 45 Super platforms rather than dig through a bunch of threads in my other threads.

I've now had all the pistols in my hand that I'm interested in. The one I keep coming back to is the Kimber 1911 platform. In my Google-Fu on the Kimber 1911, seems alot of discourse on feeding issues with the Kimber 1911. Some claim tight tolerance that require a break-in, some claim junk magazines, some claim 'best platform ever created'. My goal for this gun is backpack carry, both hunting and plain ol' backpacking in bear country. Ran into a crabby old boar a few weeks back in the Smoky's. He did a bit of huffing, jaw popping but we both backed off and all was well. I've run into this behavior more than a few times in the Smoky's in recent years.

For the stated purpose, I'm finding the 4.5-5" barrel guns and full size platforms a bit less handy than I'd like. The 4" Kimber Pro Carry is about perfect to me.

What say you guys on the Kimber 1911 platform, especially the 4" Pro Carry for a 45 Super for backcountry carry?

Thanks for all your thoughts so far.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My only reservation would be with the aluminum frame. And, it may be an unfounded reservation, especially if you are not going to run a huge amount of rounds through it. Shock buffs may help, but I am concerned about compromising reliability in the scenario you describe, which is the very reason for my interest in the .45 Super.

I've had two Kimbers, one a 5" aluminum-frame, and one a Custom II. Both have been 100% reliable, and the Custom II has since been converted to .460 Rowland, again, operating without issue.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you're not committed to a 1911 platform, an HK45 Compact for $699 would require no modifications for use with 45 Super and likely would be cheaper than the Kimber.

The concerns I have with running 45 Super in my Colt Commanders are frame battering and the possibility of the slide outrunning the magazine during the recoil cycle causing a feeding jam. I have not tried 45 Super in my Commanders because I have HK's for that purpose.

Last edited by Oregon45; 05/17/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No flies on the Kimber Pro Carry series. I have one and love it.
But with where you reside and with black bears, I see no need for the 45 super conversion. The Buffalo Boar Outdoorsman Hardcast load should easily fill your needs.

But if you really want a bear gun for hiking with real ballistic performance and capacity by a Glock 20 or 29 in 10mm.
With Buffalo Bore’s 220 gr hard cast loading at 1200 FPS it will be all you need for black bear medicine. And with a 15 round mag to boot.

I’ve packed a Glock Model 20 10mm many miles while bow hunting in black bear country and never once felt under gunned.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/17/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by bwinters
I decided to start a new thread on 45 Super platforms rather than dig through a bunch of threads in my other threads.

I've now had all the pistols in my hand that I'm interested in. The one I keep coming back to is the Kimber 1911 platform. In my Google-Fu on the Kimber 1911, seems alot of discourse on feeding issues with the Kimber 1911. Some claim tight tolerance that require a break-in, some claim junk magazines, some claim 'best platform ever created'. My goal for this gun is backpack carry, both hunting and plain ol' backpacking in bear country. Ran into a crabby old boar a few weeks back in the Smoky's. He did a bit of huffing, jaw popping but we both backed off and all was well. I've run into this behavior more than a few times in the Smoky's in recent years.

For the stated purpose, I'm finding the 4.5-5" barrel guns and full size platforms a bit less handy than I'd like. The 4" Kimber Pro Carry is about perfect to me.

What say you guys on the Kimber 1911 platform, especially the 4" Pro Carry for a 45 Super for backcountry carry?

Thanks for all your thoughts so far.

I love my SS Pro Carry (AL frame) but I wouldn't try to do 45super with it. Mainly because recoil spring selection gets hyper-critical and Wolff only makes one extra power recoil spring. The pistol is hard enough on recoil springs - typically last less than 500rnds. If you load it heavy (230gr850fps - remember this is a 4" barrel), keep an eye on the recoil spring. When you hear a "crinkle" when racking the slide slowly it is time for a new spring.

Last edited by dla; 05/17/19.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
As per the norm, good info guys!

Stopped by the LGS on my way home from work. They have a used EAA witness compact SS Tanfolio ------ in 10mm. Price is a bit high but really like how the gun feels in my hand. Likely going to trot some trade bait over there and see what they'll do. The compact has a 3.6" barrel and is compact. I'm drawn to the 3.5-4" guns for what I have in mind.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As per the norm, good info guys!

Stopped by the LGS on my way home from work. They have a used EAA witness compact SS Tanfolio ------ in 10mm. Price is a bit high but really like how the gun feels in my hand. Likely going to trot some trade bait over there and see what they'll do. The compact has a 3.6" barrel and is compact. I'm drawn to the 3.5-4" guns for what I have in mind.

Everyone of them I’ve ever seen has had feed problems.
If you want a compact 10mm, the Glock 29 is the go to model.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Since there is almost no difference in a 9MM or a 45 Auto or a 44!Magnum according to statistics why would going up some in power over a 45 Auto be any good?

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
flatter trajectory!

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...let us know how it is when you touch off 255 grains at 1100 fps in a 30 oz handgun....

My friend did a Colt Combat Commander and it is not near as pleasant to shoot as my Kimber 5"...and his has a steel frame...

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't see a lot of need to make a 1911 into a 45 Super.

The only reason would for hunting & both the 44 & 41 mags more than fill that bill.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never messed with the super, but it interests me.

But, 5" steel frames are all that's recommended for super use.
Longer would be acceptable, probably.

You are putting more stress on the gun than the design was ment for.
It will handle it, properly set up.

But the alloy frame is weaker, and a shorter barrel shortens the cycle, and removes
mass.

So more stress, less ability to handle it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Cant speak to the Super, but I have a Pro Carry and I adore the gun.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Oregon45
If you're not committed to a 1911 platform, an HK45 Compact for $699 would require no modifications for use with 45 Super and likely would be cheaper than the Kimber.

The concerns I have with running 45 Super in my Colt Commanders are frame battering and the possibility of the slide outrunning the magazine during the recoil cycle causing a feeding jam. I have not tried 45 Super in my Commanders because I have HK's for that purpose.

Can You tell me a little about an HK in 45 Super. I recently acquired a USP 40 and found that I like the HK operation and ergo's over my Glocks. My intention has been to find a USP 45 Compact. I don't know anything about the 45 super except having heard of it a couple times.

Will the USP 45 handle the 45 Super just as well as the HK45? I would think so but wondered if you knew if all models of HK's would handle the 45 Super. Is it then just a matter of load data to shoot a 45 Super in an H&K USP 45?

What bullets do you use and velocity do you get? How do you think the USP 45c would do? It may be my be all end all carry gun if I like it as much as my full sized USP in 40 cal.

Damn sorry to the OP. I meant this to be a PM to Oregon. Please feel free to answer in PM to not derail.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 05/20/19.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The USP 45 likely will handle high volumes of 45 Super better than the HK45 because the USP's recoil system is a dual-spring, mechanical recoil reduction setup derived from the H&K Mk23 pistol. My USP 45 transmits less felt-recoil than my HK45 with 45 Super loads, and I believe that is attributable to the USP's recoil system. The HK45 uses a conventional, single spring, recoil system. Both pistols are very strong, however, and I have no worries using 45 Super with either of them. I don't have any experience with the USP Compact in 45, but I've read good reports on the HK45 Compact with 45 Super so I would assume the USP Compact would work as well.

I don't do anything to my USP 45 when switching between 45 ACP target loads and 45 Super other than adjusting the sights. My HK45 has fixed sights and I've found the 45 Supers to impact a few inches higher than factory 230gr 45 ACP at 25 yards.

I have not handloaded for 45 Super yet, so my only experience is with Buffalo Bore's 230gr flat-nose FMJ round that is rated at 1100fps. That round has worked fine in both the USP and the HK45.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The 4" Kimbers are bull barrel/bushingless, so you'd have to find and fit a bushingless barrel.

Kimber used to make an all steel Pro Carry II HD which would eliminate alloy frame concerns, I haven't checked to see if they still have it.

I have both a steel frame Pro Carry II HD and an alloy frame kimber Super Carry Pro in 45 acp (no feed problems!). The heavier pistol is noticeably easier to shoot well. If I wanted to get multiple accurate shots on a target relatively quickly an alloy frame 45 super 1911 would not be my choice.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
[quote=Oregon45]

Damn sorry to the OP. I meant this to be a PM to Oregon. Please feel free to answer in PM to not derail.

No need to apologize - I'm interested in the answer as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
[quote=Oregon45]

No need to apologize - I'm interested in the answer as well.

+1 here.
I've an HK45T on layaway and was wondering how it would fare with the 45 Super. Good question, IMO.

Edit: good reply, also, Oregon45. Very helpful.

Last edited by 340boy; 05/21/19.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bwinters,

As mentioned in one of your earlier threads I've done the 1911 45 Super conversion and like it, BUT;

I would not do it on an aluminum frame. Also the 4 inch barrel (shorter slide) also reduces the slides weight which would 'probably' equate to faster slide velocity and possible battering.

I'm doing pretty much the same thing for my woods carry gun, an aluminum framed 1911 4.25 inch barrel. Nothing but standard pressure loads except I plan on trying plus p/hardcast and running very few of those... to insure function and for carry if all is well.

If you are insistent on lighter weight and 45 Super I would look no further than a polymer pistol... the Glock or the HK USP have both been proven. OR look at the Springfield Armory polymer 10mm.

Have fun,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
jww - I really like the 1911 Commander size guns - really like them...........

When I posted the thread on the 45 Super, I was under the impression any 45 ACP worked with a few stronger springs cool Now, I'm considering forgoing the 45 Super and either going 10mm (EAA Witness comes with a 4.25" brl) or a Ruger/Kimber 1911 Commander size in plain jane 45 ACP with Buffalo Bore 255 +P loads for woods carry. I've found a few 45 ACP Buffalo Bore penetration tests, one by our own jwp, and was surprised how well they did head to head with the BB 10 mm loads.

I do alot of hiking and hunting in blackbear territory. I'm not real concerned with killing one of them with a 10mm, 45 ACP or Super, even 40 S&W or 9mm. They aren't that big - 100-150 lb is average although I saw an honest 300 lber a few weeks back. We were a bit too close and he let us know. We both backed off and all was well. This happens more than occasionally as they have no fear of people.

My main issue is the elk hunting I do in CO/WY/MT. CO doesn't have grizzly's except the occasional pass through but not so in WY and MT. I wouldn't say the areas I hunt have thick grizzly populations but enough that I'm aware of the possibility of running into one when I retrieve my elk. Phil Shoemaker experience aside, I just don't feel too comfortable with a 9mm when I'm retrieving elk at dusk or even in the dark.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, 13 invisible), 1,600 guests, and 712 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.