Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Both of those last two were great but I don't remember the one the O.P. is talking about. I had several of his books, wish I still did.

My all time favorite author, he could make me feel like I was almost right there beside him.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Capstick cost me a lot of money. Didn't know Africa existed before reading his magazine articles in my dad's American Hunter magazines in the 60's. Dugga boys have haunted my dreams ever since.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
pigsticking made personal
saga-- febuary 1973

death in a lonely land
page 79

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Truth, fiction, or some embellished combination of the two... Regardless, Capstick was an excellent story teller...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like to read fiction, but I don't want it passed off as real-life personal experience. For instance, I have been a fan of Skeeter Skelton's writing for a long time, but Skeeter's fiction is easily distinguished from his actual experiences--and I appreciate that. I have met literally hundreds of people over the years who believe that Capstick's tales were accounts of his own adventures.

Most of the folks whom I have met who are part of the African safari business agree that his tales are based on accounts that he actually heard--embellished, of course--and featuring him as the protagonist. I have two of his books that I have received as gifts. I managed to wade through one during a long winter down on the ranch, but just have not been able to get the second one read.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I think it was in Death in the Long Grass where a woman client apparently reacted to malaria medicine or something and started attacking everyone in her sleep. She'd sit on the bed smiling at them, then hurl herself at them with teeth ready to kill. The next morning, she didn't remember a thing. As he put it, 'That's bloody Africa for you. Everything bites.'

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave284
Both of those last two were great but I don't remember the one the O.P. is talking about. I had several of his books, wish I still did.

My all time favorite author, he could make me feel like I was almost right there beside him.

I still have several of them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Truth, fiction, or some embellished combination of the two... Regardless, Capstick was an excellent story teller...

Right On. It doesn’t matter to me. Fun, Entertaining, could be Drama, & can draw you
in.
IMO “Chapstick”, is one of the best entertaining writers.
I have the Trilogy of Death In .....

Skeeter, Jordan, et.al. too many to mention, are very good in their own right.
Skeeter got me hooked on SS & Rubber (composite) single handedly in the early 80s.
He said, “ Nothing is more practical than SS & Rubber” for handguns. He also said
he loved Walnut & Blue.

NO ONE writer pleases everybody..... even God.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks Deerstalker thats it! now ive started rereading all his stuff......and some of it still makes me laugh till I cry

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by dave284

I still have several of them.

I would still have them if Ma Nature wasn't something that rhymes with a clucking runt.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwall

Jerry

Well, there was King James. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
This is the ONLY Peter Capstick magazine article I can find online:

http://www.minisniping.org/articles_petercapstick.html

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Jerry

Well.... King James isn't EVERY one.

Secondly, Catholics don't use K J, they have their own - Douay version and it has books that are not in the KJV and the Douay omits books that are in KJV.

Thirdly, CLDS (Mormons) wrote their 'bible' to their liking.

Fourthly, moooooslims have their own Fairy Tale of Horror.

That doesn't count many other 'religions'.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by 65Jeffrey
like I said initially.....best hunting stories for ENTERTAINMENT value. No computer generated ballistics tables blah blah blah.....STORIES! STORYTELLING! ENTERTAINMENT!
We have some great educational informative instructional writers today but I don't see the story tellers....yup, like the term Spin A Great Yarn

Exactly. All the new writers vomit numbers and statistics and don't know how to tell a story.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Jerry

Well.... King James isn't EVERY one.

Secondly, Catholics don't use K J, they have their own - Douay version and it has books that are not in the KJV and the Douay omits books that are in KJV.

Thirdly, CLDS (Mormons) wrote their 'bible' to their liking.

Fourthly, moooooslims have their own Fairy Tale of Horror.

That doesn't count many other 'religions'.

Jerry

I was just poking at the people who think that God selected King James and his crew and Personally dictated each word verbatim.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I kinda thot so but wasn't sure.

Back on Topic, I like Capstick !!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As do I! When he was alive, I used to send him clippings that I found of cases where humans came out second best in confrontations with wildlife. I always got a post card thanking me - still have them around someplace.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i can read PHC's books over and over. i have all his books, first edition, signed.
i also have the entire collection in later editions that i read and loan.
there was no one like him .ymmv

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A couple of his books have proven too intense for my wife and oldest daughter. His chapter on grizzlies in “Maneaters” still bugs my wife. I think I have all of his books (in hardcover).

Hell of a writer, not sure how much was non-fiction.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Truth, fiction or some combination of both he was a gifted storyteller and I enjoy his books. I can't count the times I've read Death in the Long Grass. Maybe I'll read it again in the near future.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,661
Posts18,455,712
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.