H
not as glad as I am.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hubert
not as glad as I am.

Everybody is happy! Life is good!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Geez, what an a hole. I'm finally in AK and it will take a LOT for me to leave. But then I"m thankful that A holes don't stay here long.

As to waste of game, I waste my fair share. Hmm. Shouldn't admit that eh? What about food we leave in the freezer and forget about using and toss out years later? I HATE that.

What about the lower cuts of meat I"m not legally having to keep? Shanks and such. 90% sinew, PITA to process. Thats why I'm interested in a pressure cooker to try that meat.

For me, though I admit I like to preserve skin and antlers and horns, I'd sooner leave them lay than not take the meat.

What about organ meat as mentioned? I can't stand the stuff, though moose tongues I keep. If I knew anyone that would take the organs I"d save em in a heartbeat.

We have to take X deer off the lease, or its over populated, and as such we generally give away a couple each year. To folks that use them. One of them always brings me a pot of chili or bag of chicken fry.,. no need to though. We bring them quartered meat in a cooler.

So far here in ak, I've only bought one pound of hamburger and lunch meat. Well some spam and such is a change of pace too, but eating moose and sheep so far. Hope it stays that way and ad a bunch of salmon in that mix.

Yep, folks waste, but there are different levels. To kill like some wolves just to kill and not use... I hate that. I hate the ones that take the hinds and backstraps only too.

But then on fish, if we filet, aren't we wasting too?

Fine lines in ethics in ways. Legals lines are even more iffy. I trim between the ribs on moose, down to a clean carcass. We can grind it all up in burger as needed.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Someone that knows how to fillet is wasting VERY little meat.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If they take the bellies and cheeks.... That said we filet catfish, then fry the bones.. the bones have better taste actually, IE the meat left on the bones.

I at least know how to filet warm water fish fairly well... Well except for flounder, I have only done a handful... I suspect I'd fail on a butt... But I sure want to catch a butt, well really the others, rockfish, orange things, the ones that eat even better ya know... Eventually I'll get a chance at that I"m sure.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Originally Posted by rost495
Legals lines are even more iffy. I trim between the ribs on moose, down to a clean carcass.

Indeed, it is iffy, especially in Unit 13.

Prior to Oct 1, meat must remain on the bones of the front quarters, hindquarters, and ribs until removed from the field or
processed for human consumption.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2

Legals lines are even more iffy. I trim between the ribs on moose, down to a clean carcass.

Indeed, it is iffy, especially in Unit 13.

Prior to Oct 1, meat must remain on the bones of the front quarters, hindquarters, and ribs until removed from the field or
processed for human consumption.

Moose ribs on an open fire beat pressure cooker loads shot over the table, every time!
frown

Last edited by Sitka deer; 06/03/19.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Nah, I live in the middle of a reservation, and used to be out and about all the time while doing business.

My surprise was that is if there is such a problem with waste of game, and so many people are soooo stressed about it, why someone hasn't got the bright idea to address those concerns and also make a little money on the side.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see your point, but the fact is most of the issues from a legal standpoint happen in the field. The sport hunting that gets done form there is mostly guided and they deal with the issue. There are only a bit over 3,000 people in Kotzebue and the hunting would be very seasonal.
Even Bethel at twice the population does not have a butcher that I am aware of.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No need for a pressure cooker to get shank meat tender. Since I learned to cook it overnight in a crock pot, shank meat is one of my favorite cuts. Falls apart with a fork, and stays moist.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by smokepole
No need for a pressure cooker to get shank meat tender. Since I learned to cook it overnight in a crock pot, shank meat is one of my favorite cuts. Falls apart with a fork, and stays moist.

That thought had occurred, but if I didn't want to cook it all day or overnight.. hence pressure cooker. GLAD to know that crock pot works.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Gotcha sir. Thank you.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

That thought had occurred, but if I didn't want to cook it all day or overnight.. hence pressure cooker. GLAD to know that crock pot works.

Works like a champ. Put in some potatoes, onion, carrots in beef broth and it'll surprise you. Sometimes I put it out on the porch or in the garage to cook, it will aroma-tize the whole house.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i had the head cut off the boar i killed to win the biggest hog contest at the campfire hog hunt and the rest thrown in their gut pile dump. no way way i'd eat that stinky bastard.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i had the head cut off the boar i killed to win the biggest hog contest at the campfire hog hunt and the rest thrown in their gut pile dump. no way way i'd eat that stinky bastard.

Right now there is a dead whale washed up at the head of Turnagain Arm. With certainty bears are eating it and rolling in it. It is perfectly legal to go kill those bears.

Cannot imagine skinning one of them after they have rolled around a bit in that stench. Eating the bears would just be ridiculously groteque.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 06/04/19. Reason: Frigging autocorrect!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by stxhunter

thats a whole other story... feral hogs. We never go by size only by odor when we walk up. If you can smell them, toss them. No matter size. If not, even a bigger boar, like IIRC we've had boars up to 225 or so that were fine.
Barrows are fine, but there are not enough of them.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

[quote=kaboku68]I can imagine that Chip and his family have probably taught many, many, many young people how to properly process meat without leaving much. Most people don't keep the lace fat, the bible, the intestines, the kidneys and the tongue and head anymore.

What is the bible?

I know what lace fat is from watching Caribou's show.
Couldn't all the fat off an animal be rendered into grease?

I would keep the tongue to eat. Just how much meat is on the head? I figure you could do it the same as a hogs head and and make sausage. Could you keep the brains to tan the hide with?

The kidneys and liver and probably some other organs I would think would make trap bait,no?

Can the intestines be cleaned out to make casings for sausage?

I watched a survival show where they would catch the blood and cook it into a pancake but I would draw the line at that.

I know that is a lot of questions but am curious
Thanks to anyone who could answer. I have reread this thread twice and have really enjoyed it!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Its part of the stomach, turned inside out and washed. It doesn't taste bad.

The liver, if it doesn't have any flukes, cold-washed in a creek till its blue, is probably one of the best pieces of meat in most herbivores that you hunt. Dall sheep often have liver flukes but I have had dall sheep liver and their testicles sliced and pan fried and its good.

There is some stuff that gets cooked up that would test the will of any westerner. The little chickadees that the young boys catch on berries and then put them in river banks to ferment or fermented seal guts that are held in a seal polk to season the oil and are sliced up as Inupiaq chewing gum. I used to eat (you have to eat there is no way out of it) traditional porcupine from my adopted native grandma who would take the whole porky guts and all and put him in a campfire that was burned down and just coals. She would roll him around in the coals with an old shovel. The quills would burn on and the outside meat would be charred and the inside meat would be a little pink. That took some getting used to.

Last edited by kaboku68; 06/04/19.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for your answer. I have tried beef, pork and chicken liver. I cant past the taste enough to get it swallowed. I forgot about the mountain oysters, I would definitely keep them and the bag they came in.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I had $ 800 stolen by a white guy in Anchorage... so I try to stay out of it as much as possible.

But Anchorage isn't Alaska.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,490
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.