Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Many thanks for the tips and information guys. I am now on the hunt for a bargain on some 225 grain Partitions. Are factory seconds worth a look? I read once the 210 grain .338 Partitions were made tougher then the 250's because they were being driven faster, ya got me. Just wondering if the same is true for .35 caliber bullets? I am thinking 225 grains is about ideal for Alaska for hunting with a .356 Win. case. I ordered the 250 grain Kodiaks for up close and personal use.

Trying to decide on a powder and it looks like WW 748 and Varaget are good Choices.

Four of my friends use the 225 grain Accubond out of their .35 Whelen and are convinced it is the best Alaskan big game round. One of their sons used the 200 grain Speer Flat Nose out of his .358 Norma Mag. and said lung shot moose did not travel far, no kidding.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The factory seconds are definitely worth a look. I shoot them in several calibers. They are only seconds due to some cosmetic issue.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
1Akshooter,

Here is what Nosler has told me about the construction of various Partitions:

They ALL feature the same softer lead alloy in the front core, to insure expansion.

The rear alloy is SOMETIMES tweaked a little, whether for accuracy or penetration reasons. But in general it has at least twice the antimony of the front core.

The biggie in retained bullet weight is the placement of the partition. In most it's placed so the bullet retains about 65%, depending on whether any of the core is retained. The larger-caliber, heavier Partitions are designed to retain at least 75% of their weight even IF they lose the front core. This has been proven many times in my experience, in both test media, and a lot of big game up to 1500 pounds or so.

My experience with the 225 .35 Partition, both in sectioning and shooting media and game, is it's designed to retain around 65% of its weight. This has proven to result in sufficient penetration in moderate-velocity .35 caliber cartridges like the .358 Winchester. The recovered bulleys have all been on angling shots that encountered shoulder bone.

Also have some experience (personally and from guys I trust) with various cup-and-core bullets in the .358 Winchester, and while they generally work very well, a good friend (who's also a long-time guide) had a 250 Hot-Cor come apart on an angling shot on a cow elk. He'd killed a number of elk with the same load before, but that time he had to chase the elk around quite a bit before putting in a finisher.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tag

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info Mule Deer. I ran 250 grain Partitions at around 2,700 fps mv out of a .338 Winny for about 12 years. For sure they were excellent killers on moose, caribou and bears. I think I recovered four bullets as most of my shots were under 100 yards and passed through the lungs. Of the four recovered bullets, none of them weighed over 180 grains. Most of the moose were under 1,500 lbs. Them little ones are harder to hit and as you know, they all look the same on the dinner plate.

Bullets can be hard to figure some times, just as my 94 year old Uncle Ed told me. Him and two other guys from the 82nd Airborne were in a fox hole during the Battle of the Bulge. All the of them caught around in the head from a German machine gun and the two other guys died quickly. The bullet that hit Ed in the helmet veered of and rattled around in his helmet and swelled his head all up. He said he had the worst head ache for days and it took a week or so for the swelling to go down. Eventually he lost the eye on that side of his head, but he never left the front lines and he said some guys were worse off then him and kept fighting.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
^^^^^^^
This evening, I'm raising a glass to 1Akshooter's Uncle Ed! I humbly suggest everyone who reads this do likewise.
I don't know either of these men, but Uncle Ed earns some respect!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Many thanks for the tips and information guys. I am now on the hunt for a bargain on some 225 grain Partitions. Are factory seconds worth a look? I read once the 210 grain .338 Partitions were made tougher then the 250's because they were being driven faster, ya got me. Just wondering if the same is true for .35 caliber bullets? I am thinking 225 grains is about ideal for Alaska for hunting with a .356 Win. case. I ordered the 250 grain Kodiaks for up close and personal use.

Trying to decide on a powder and it looks like WW 748 and Varaget are good Choices.

I've bought a ton of the factory seconds/overruns from SPS. The only difference I've seen are maybe a cannelure or different colored tip in the BT's. Great bullets at a great price. I've been keeping an eye out for the 225s for my 358 and will have to try the filing trick for my 356.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
^^^^^^^
This evening, I'm raising a glass to 1Akshooter's Uncle Ed! I humbly suggest everyone who reads this do likewise.
I don't know either of these men, but Uncle Ed earns some respect!

Indeed!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Talked to Uncle Ed today and he is doing great. Told him about the .356 Winny I am getting and he liked talking about that. He still rides a stationary bike.

While we are at it lets raise a glass to my Uncle Leroy. Killed in the Philippines by a Japanese sniper a couple months after his 19th birthday and couple months before the war ended.

I will never know, but hopefully his buddies took care of the sniper.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Talked to Uncle Ed today and he is doing great. Told him about the .356 Winny I am getting and he liked talking about that. He still rides a stationary bike.

While we are at it lets raise a glass to my Uncle Leroy. Killed in the Philippines by a Japanese sniper a couple months after his 19th birthday and couple months before the war ended.

I will never know, but hopefully his buddies took care of the sniper.

Hear hear!

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
433 members (160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 300jimmy, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 44 invisible), 2,156 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.