-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The bill passed, and permits are now available.

‘Bait bill’ becomes law in Alabama, licenses now on sale

MONTGOMERY, Ala. – Hunters in Alabama can now use bait to hunt white-tailed deer and feral pigs.

The Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources said Wednesday that bait hunting licenses are now available anywhere hunting licenses are sold. The licenses, which cost $15 for resident hunters and $51 for non-residents, are also available online.

Alabama lawmakers passed a bill in April that lets hunters with the license use bait to lure in deer during hunting season. Previously, hunters had to stay more than 100 yards away from piles of corn set out for deer, and the piles could not be in a hunter’s line of sight.

The new law has provisions that allow the state conservation department to suspend bait license usage in a county, region or even statewide to prevent the spread of disease.

Money generated by sales of the new licenses will be federally matched to help support conservation efforts in the state, officials said.

From WHNT 19 News

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A revenue generator who would have thunk. Do the northern states that allow baiting have a permit? Honest question

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Money collected federally matched nearly 3 to 1. Other States will be looking at that.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
New Jersey allows baiting for deer . No extra permit or license required .
BUT they are doing everything possible to remove your second amendment rights !!!!!
Soup

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Beo...

AS FAR AS I KNOW (AFAIK), Arkansas does NOT require any permit to 'Feed' or 'Bait' our deer.
Feral hogs are Invasive and Destructive so the AGFC says they may be hunted ANY time of year. Baiting & trapping are allowed.

One possible exception MAY be in N C Ark. where CWD is located & concentrated. I don't hunt there so I'm not UP on their regs in the core
area.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Soup
New Jersey allows baiting for deer . No extra permit or license required .
BUT they are doing everything possible to remove your second amendment rights !!!!!
Soup

So expect a Tax on baiting next year in NJ.

I left that chitthole in 1985 and starting buying guns there in 1971 and that was their MO back then . Make it as hard as possible to own a long gun and next to impossible to own a handgun. I probably went thru more actual FBI background checks , fingerprinting and getting the Chief of Police to fill out a pistol permit then I care to discuss.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Beo...

AS FAR AS I KNOW (AFAIK), Arkansas does NOT require any permit to 'Feed' or 'Bait' our deer.
Feral hogs are Invasive and Destructive so the AGFC says they may be hunted ANY time of year. Baiting & trapping are allowed.

One possible exception MAY be in N C Ark. where CWD is located & concentrated. I don't hunt there so I'm not UP on their regs in the core
area.

Jerry

Feral hogs are considered invasive here too, and there is no closed season or bag limit. The only thing that is new is the ability to shoot the over bait. Bait has always been legal for trapping them.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you bait up here in PA, (or trails that lead to or away from a bait site regardless of distance), bye bye license for at least a year.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
O D

For the record I do NOT use 'bait' nor feeders. I hunt natural 'bait', acorns, water, DOES, etc.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Unless I am wrong Pa. Does allow baiting . In parts of Pa you buy a permit to bait from the PGC and state wide you may place bait but it must be removed 30 days prior to hunting the area. There is no language written that states just how far the baited area must be from the hunter.
I almost got popped for hunting in an area that my neighbor baited on his property 300 yds from my stand. I fought the charge with my lawyer and won because the law does not say how far away it must be also it was unreasonable to assume I knew what my neighbor was doing. Cost me a few dollars to beat it.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Baiting has been legal in Texas forever.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Baiting has been legal in Georgia forever too. I live in Bama near the GA line. A lot of farms are split by the state line. Talk about driving Bama game wardens crazy! Now they can relax.

W
wsq Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Alabama law in the past few years has let hunters feed 100 hard away from stand and out of site by terrain or natural vegetation. This will eliminate all confusion the game and fish department is self funded license and fines Wardons can concentrate on more important matters people have even been fined not knowing feed was present on public land and clubs looking forward to seeing how the new law works for us

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
well, just to throw a lil fuel on the "fire" here in MS just last yr it was legalized to feed corn or whatever and no yardage limitation. now, whether coincidental or not we had a rash of CWD in a few locations. now it has the powers that be questioning as to whether it was a good move. i personally don't mind it but it makes you almost have to do it as you know your neighbor is so just to keep the playing field even so to speak. if we could get errbody to plant a plot and NOBODY bait/feed corn that would be best. but, if one does it its almost an unfair advantage as the deer do have a sweet tooth fo sho.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by wsq
Alabama law in the past few years has let hunters feed 100 hard away from stand and out of site by terrain or natural vegetation. This will eliminate all confusion the game and fish department is self funded license and fines Wardons can concentrate on more important matters people have even been fined not knowing feed was present on public land and clubs looking forward to seeing how the new law works for us

The kicker on that is now folks almost HAVE to buy the license to stay legal. No way of knowing if someone left a pile of bait in an area that's hunted by multiple people. I won't bait...but I know others at a one club I hunt will. Will a warden believe me....I really don't want to buy the license but I'm not going to try my luck.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Corn feeder is the poor man's food plot.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JP_Lucas
Corn feeder is the poor man's food plot.

And, it works perfectly.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by wsq

The kicker on that is now folks almost HAVE to buy the license to stay legal. No way of knowing if someone left a pile of bait in an area that's hunted by multiple people. I won't bait...but I know others at a one club I hunt will. Will a warden believe me....I really don't want to buy the license but I'm not going to try my luck.

Me either. I will buy one just for insurance. No way of knowing if someone else spread corn around. A little over $50 but peace of mind for me.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 53 invisible), 2,719 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.