24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
857pt Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a 99C manufactured in 1975 that I'm trying to restore from what was once a very stiff action. After taking apart the rifle for the first time I was really surprised at just how crude the machining was - some parts look like they were aggressively filed and had rough surfaces.

Part of the issue was the lever pivot which is now smooth after lapping. Now the issue is resistance encountered when the hammer spring is compressed as the lever is closed and the breech bolt assembly lifted into place. I took the hammer assembly out of the rifle (this consists of the hamer, hammer spring, firing pin, and hammer bushing). The assembly appears to have a thread-on firing pin and a square tail - see attached photo.

First question: is this the correct assembly for this rifle manufactured in 75? I'm concerned it may have been fitted with an incorrect assembly which is why the action is so stiff.

Second question: Numrich has a different hammer assembly (Product #: 145750) featuring a pin-on firing pin which I would prefer but the tail looks rounder. Are these interchangeable parts?

Does anyone here know when Savage changed the style of hammer and firing pin attachment for the 99 series?

Attached Images
hammerassy.jpg (58.21 KB, 57 downloads)
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The threaded firing pins were used in the very early years and probably changed at the 90,000 SN level.

The one in your picture sure looks pinned on to me.

The shape of the various parts has transformed over the years but functionally they remain the same and are interchangeable with some fitting.

The 99 action is pretty stiff by nature. Be careful not to soften it up too much or you will start to get lever droop when it's fired.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Welcome to the forum 857.

I have had a couple of those apart, but it's been awhile, so bear that in mind as you read further.

There most assuredly are quite a few variations in the 99's production parts over time. But, if your parts fit together to produce an operation arm, I would doubt you have the wrong ones for your rifle. I've put some of the older ones together from parts and it seems like I have to try every part in the box to get the correct combination of parts to make a firearm function. Then from there you can fine tune as you say, polish the mating surfaces and such, for a smoother operating arm.

Look carefully at every mating surface as you close the lever, including the lever itself. Some may be polished to a fine mirror. If all mating surfaces are as smooth as you can make them, is removing a coil in the hammer spring an option? I don't know, I've never needed to try it.

The firing pin at the back with it's bulbous appearance varies between vintages, but not all will work in the other eras rifles.

LOL
857pt Offline OP
OP Offline
So my SN is B915XXX, the B prefix indicating a post 68 rifle IIRC. I found a table on the internet (not sure how accurate) that indicates a SN in my range prefixed with a B is a 1975 MFG date so the thread-on firing pin is suspect.

Its definitely a thread on - there is no accessible pin anywhere. There are markings on the outside of the firing pin that look like they were made with plier teeth. It's frustrating that I don't have the full history of this rifle, but at the same time its kind of a challenge and I enjoy that.

Unfortunately I don't have a box of parts to try and each offering on Numrich is pricey so I'm hoping to confirm a fit before placing an order. That may not be possible and I understand that.

Besides checking if the action improves, I believe a pin-on firing pin assembly is just more serviceable. I don't want to mark up the firing pin more than it already is to change out the hammer spring, for example.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Reexamine your picture 857.
As Lightfoot stated that is a pinned firing pin!
Ask me how I know

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm lucky enough to have a box O' parts that covers most items in fair quantities.

I can sell you some if you want to replace what you've got.

857pt Offline OP
OP Offline
LOL Ulvejaeger you're right! I used my electronics microscope to examine the firing pin cap in detail and sure enough there is a circular impression that looks like a pin. It appears they inserted the pin and then ground it flush on both sides. To remove this pin is there a preferred method or jig that could help?

I took another picture of the tail on my hammer assembly and there is a nasty gash that doesn't appear in Fireball2's photos (thanks for those by the way!). I'll attach a photo of it - could that be responsible for the roughness during the final part of the lever cycle?

Lightfoot I might - especially if my hammer assembly will function better without that gash in the photo. I have the style on the left side of Fireball2's first photo.

Attached Images
pinned.jpg (69.57 KB, 23 downloads)
why.jpg (73.32 KB, 23 downloads)
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have the piece parts except for the actual pin. Also have a complete firing pin assembly in good shape.

I'd definitely get rid of that buggered up hammer.

About the only way to remove the pin is to drive it through with a small punch.

857pt Offline OP
OP Offline
Lightfoot, pm sent.

IC B3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
735 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 73 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.