Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#13842773 05/23/19
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The federal government will spend an additional $16 billion to help farmers hurt by the US-China trade war, Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue announced Thursday. US farmers have been among the hardest hit by the escalating trade war between the two countries, and both sides are bracing for additional pain resulting from the latest volley of tariffs announced earlier this month.

Perdue said President Donald Trump approved the farmer aid to undermine China’s efforts to retaliate against US tariffs.

“Well, President Trump feels what they’re trying to do is really outlast him and that’s not gonna work. Their economy has hurt a lot more than our agricultural economy and that’s why President Trump has authorized a $16 billion facilitation program,” Perdue said Thursday morning on Fox Business.

Perdue said that the farmer aid will be paid for by an equivalent amount the US expects to pull in through tariffs. But Perdue also claimed that “China’s gonna pay for these” — a false assertion made repeatedly by Trump.

The tariffs will instead be paid for by companies importing goods into the US and are often passed on to US consumers in the form of price hikes, a reality acknowledged by Trump’s own top White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow.

Trump last year already promised farmers a $12 billion aid package to help mitigate the first wave of Chinese retaliatory measures after Trump slapped tariffs on Chinese imports.
Trump is expected to address the new farmer aid package in remarks Thursday afternoon at the White House.

Talks between the US and China broke down earlier this month after US officials said China reneged on key parts of an agreement that was close to completion.

Chinese President Xi Jinping has in recent days indicated he is readying his country for a prolonged trade war, calling for his people to prepare for a “new Long March” — a reference to a difficult period in China’s history.

Trump has already warned that he is prepared to impose additional tariffs on the remainder of Chinese exports to the US, a move that would hit consumer goods like toys and electronics that were spared in the first round.

The two leaders are expected to meet face to face on the sidelines of the G20 late next month, and US and Chinese officials have both indicted that the trade war can only be resolved by Trump and Xi.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/05/23/trump-bail-out-farmers-china-trade-war

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Reparations:

https://www.reuters.com/article/ala...m-oil-royalty-fund-idUSL1N11N03U20150917

Alaska will give each resident more than $2,000 next month as the annual payout from an oil wealth trust fund, a state revenue official said on Wednesday, a record amount despite the collapse in oil prices last year.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
And we let China buy the only in-country source of rare earths some years ago and now they are threatening to not sell us any. That could be a big deal.

https://geology.com/articles/rare-earth-elements/

Retired cat herder.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
We can get them from other countries.
We hold all of the cards with China. They need us to survive. We only need them because they produce cheap goods that we can buy from someone else, if necessary. This is going to drag on for a couple years. The Chinese are hoping Trump loses reelection and they can deal with someone else in 2021

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
We hold all of the cards with China. They need us to survive.

That's why we owe em a trillion bucks grin

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Reparations:

https://www.reuters.com/article/ala...m-oil-royalty-fund-idUSL1N11N03U20150917

Alaska will give each resident more than $2,000 next month as the annual payout from an oil wealth trust fund, a state revenue official said on Wednesday, a record amount despite the collapse in oil prices last year.

dumb fugger; we don't own any subsurface mineral rights here. the state stole em at statehood. No oil millionaires here like in texas. They can keep their stipend, just give me back my sub surface mineral rights.

MOLON LABE

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I get a kick out of listening to farmers complain about Trump and his trade war.

Erhmegered! We are dying! End the trade war! Blah blah blah.

As if farming has been a run away for the last 30 years. Between the banks, machinery companies, insurance companies and imput costs......yep...its for sure this trade war that hurts.

Frog Snacks!

We have been basically donating our equity to the economy for the last decade. They already had gotten the housing equity. Now its farmers.

Fuggem....I could give a schit less about the USDA and China.

Canada....and Mexico....now they could fugg this cattle deal up for us.....like they normally do.

Gotta watch those guys.

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Trumps the kind of guy to say fugg em, we ain’t paying....🤣

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
As they say....nothing worth while is painless.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Last I knew, the American taxpayer via SS is owed somewhere north of 4 trillion borrowed for programs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikepatton/2014/10/28/who-owns-the-most-u-s-debt/#51efdaf9819c

Swifty
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Trumps the kind of guy to say fugg em, we ain’t paying.

Yet another president, Thomas Jefferson said; "if countries paid their debts, there would be 80% less wars"

MOLON LABE

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I get a kick out of listening to farmers complain about Trump and his trade war.

Erhmegered! We are dying! End the trade war! Blah blah blah.

As if farming has been a run away for the last 30 years. Between the banks, machinery companies, insurance companies and imput costs......yep...its for sure this trade war that hurts.

Frog Snacks!

We have been basically donating our equity to the economy for the last decade. They already had gotten the housing equity. Now its farmers.

Fuggem....I could give a schit less about the USDA and China.

Canada....and Mexico....now they could fugg this cattle deal up for us.....like they normally do.

Gotta watch those guys.

China has to buy food somewhere. So if they don’t get it from the US, say they buy it from Brazil. So what happens to everyone who was buying from Brazil? Seems like maybe they would buy from the US.

But it sure as heck gives the market a reason to discount US production. Prices up the last month or so - have to motivate those farmers to plant!

I’ve said it before on the ‘fire, the productive capacity, from changes in technology and practices, that has been added in US agriculture over the last 20 years is staggering. I don’t expect much of a turnaround until acres are idled - a new version of Conservation Reserve.

I grew up in the 80s - I remember how everyone worried about Japan surpassing the US at that time. Look at Japan today - decades of deflation, aging, population declining. Unless this goes from a trade war to a real war, China will end up the same only worse. They will be old and poor whereas japan is old and rich.

Of course most of the 1st world is aging and stagnating as well (another discussion - there are good things and bad things about that) and the US needs to get its s$&t together. We should not owe a frenemy/enemy like China what we do.

Last edited by Slope77; 05/23/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This will be unpopular!

For the last twenty years the Asians and Latins have been stealing
manufacturing jobs (with American companies help).

Nobody gave a flying F.

People were told they needed to get educated,
STEM, is what you should be,
you blue collar bums don't deserve better.

Then tech jobs and engineering jobs started to go.
HO-LEE-[bleep]!! It became a tragedy, but quickly disappeared.

But farmers $16,000,000,000. To help out a bit.

But, I will bet that if beef and grain prices fall through the floor,
Our friends Jim and Sam won't see any money.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
"The tariffs will instead be paid for by companies importing goods into the US and are often passed on to US consumers in the form of price hikes, a reality acknowledged by Trump’s own top White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow."

Let's see if I got this right. Importers pay a 25% fine (aka, tariff) to the Treasury for Chinese goods they import, the Treasury (through the Department of Agriculture) sends it to farmers and, we (consumers) pay a higher price to buy the goods. Thus, the consumer is bankrolling the farmers.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thus, the consumer is bankrolling the farmers.

Governments don't trade, individuals do. Government needs to butt out.

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a tough deal out there right now for quite a few farmers around here.

No money in wheat which was the old standby.

Our farm raked in a whopper of a tariff payment.....

haha

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trumps the kind of guy to say fugg em, we ain’t paying.

Yet another president, Thomas Jefferson said; "if countries paid their debts, there would be 80% less wars"

Jefferson couldn't speak English?

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Are you still sitting on the apple, or did it finally insert itself?

MOLON LABE

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Trump is just buying rural votes in the Midwest. He can't afford to lose them.

That is all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

598 members (1_deuce, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,159 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,281
Posts18,448,568
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.