-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A .44 Magnum kills a deer way out of proportion to what the paper ballistics say that it should within its range. That said you can kill a close deer with a cartridge that shoots far, but you can't kill a far deer with a cartridge that shoots close. My buddy showed up with a .44 carbine one deer season and I still remember the look on his face when we posted him over looking a couple hundred wide opening. The next year he showed up with a Browning semi-auto in .300 WSM.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Well all I can say after u have been hunting in a slug state we tend to get close. I'm from the nw corner of the state and wide open plains. Stupid gun rules. Not like it is populated up there

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the .44 Ruger carbine is at or near the top firearm people beg daily for Ruger to bring back. At the $800 price tag used, I just can't do it. There was a very nice one sold on here a month ago.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have been killing deer and hogs with a Marlin 1894S since 1993. The rifle was the first present my new wife gave me. The only load I have ever used is the Speer Gold Dot SP 270 grain. I load my own with H110 powder. 1600+ FPS, and 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. Clover leafs at 50 yards. I hunt north FL swamps and palmetto thickets. The .44 Mag is ideal.

Sam......

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I remember growing up and my dads hunting buddy had a Ruger 44 Mag carbine. It seemed miserably inaccurate. He bought a Remington M 700 7mm Rem Mag that seemed miserably inaccurate as well until my dad shot it. Thinking he sold that inaccurate 44carbine to someone who was very pleased with the deal they got.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have joined the ranks of Ruger 44 Mag Carbine owners. I brought home mine from the widow of my best friend last night. My sons and I were over picking up our choices from his inventory last night. Big Bob died over the winter. His nephew got the lever carbine. I got his semi. I doubt the thing has been fired since the Johnson administration.

I read this thread eagerly back last fall and had no idea I'd be owning one before Memorial Day. Funny how things happen. My memories of this particular rifle are scant. It was just something Bob kept in the case. However, our mutual best friend, Jerry also had one. It was with Jerry that I have the most vivid memories with the 44 Carbine.

Jerry and I had gone down to Crossville, TN to go boar hunting. Jerry brought a 44 Carbine and a Ruger Redhawk. I had already taken my boar and was out at the truck, waiting for Jerry and the guide to come in when I heard a shot. Then we heard another shot, and then another. After several more, the woods fell quiet. The guide showed up with ripped clothing. Jerry slogged out behind him. Both had 20-mile stares. The short of it was that Jerry had tried to shoot his hog with the pistol and done nothing more than make it mad. When he went to the carbine, it took him a while to realize the sights were off and it was shooting a foot to the right and above the point of aim. Meanwhile the hog was doing a fair job of chasing the guide. Jerry was down to his last round before the hog decided to call it quits.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Windfall is correct. The 44 kills a LOT better then it's figures would make you believe. I have used it from both handguns and a carbine. I sold my old Browning M92 years ago to get "moving money" but before I did I killed several deer, a few antelope and elk with it. Thinking back, I do not believe I ever shot any animal 2 times with that carbine. 100% were one shot kills.

The only thing I didn't like about that carbine was the fact that it would not feed bullets with very wide noses. Also it had the slow twist (1- 38" I think)so it may not have been accurate with 300 or 320 grain bullets even if it would have fed them.
But it did work well with the Hornady 265 grain bullets, ans that's what I killed most of the game with. I did kill one antelope with a 200 grain Speer HP bullet, but could not see anything the HP did any better then the soft nose 265, so I went back to them.

Anyway, I have not owned a 44 carbine since I moved to Wyoming 27 years ago and all my 44 kills since I moved here have been with handguns. But if I ever get a chance to get a Ruger M96 and I have the cash to spend I think I'd get one. That's one 44 carbine I always liked, but never found one at the times I had some money I could spend on it.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I don't care much for the ones with the barrel band. My dad used to have one of the Deluxe models, with the flutes on the fore end. It sure was pretty, and a lot of fun to carry and shoot. I don't know what ever became of it, but I sure would like to have that one. Wonder if he gave it to one of my brothers...

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a picture of my Father and Bearrr264's Father standing in front of a Jeep Wagoneer with 2 big whitetail bucks tied to the top. They were both dressed in Johnson Woolen Mills green/black plaid and had Ruger 44 Carbines in their hands. IIRC, the picture was taken on Main Street in Colebrook, NH, at the end of November 1968. When it was time for me to start deer hunting, my Father set me up with two rifles, a Remington 660 in 6mm and a Ruger 44 International, both of which I still have and hunt with occasionally. The are few more practical rifles for still hunting deer in tight cover than a Ruger 44 Carbine of any style.

The Cabela's Gun Library in LaVista, NE, had a 3-digit Ruger 44 Deerstalker when I there earlier today.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
260 what did they want for it ?

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by davet
I've only shot one deer with mine, a decent 8pt buck, 120" or so shot at 40 yards, and he ran about 40 yards. Within 100 yards it is the equal of a 30-30, imo
That's been my expereience. The .44 is equally effective to a .30-30 out to 100 yards but no better. Past 100 the .30-30 leaves the .44 in the dust trajectory wise and still kills well out past 200 yards. My 1894 Marlin .44 mag. kicked worse than my 94 Winchester .30-30 or my Marlin 336 .30-30 and wasn't as accurate as either. Couldn't see any point so I sold the .44.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 44mc
260 what did they want for it ?

I don't remember exactly, but it was probably overpriced, as that is the Cabela's way.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Phffft, ya can't kill anything with a .44.

'Cept maybe what you hit with it.

[Linked Image]

Fartin' around load, subsonic:
[Linked Image]

Racin' one cartridge against another Is curious. Trajectory doesn't kill, maim or mangle. The 44 will sure as hell kill beyond 100 yards and do it well.

Serious load, 300 grains ballpark 1600 fps at the muzzle.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by DigitalDan; 05/23/19.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
thinking of taking one of my 3 44 carbines and put it in a MPI stock. I see they are back up and running anyone have an MPI stock How much fit and bedding to be done ?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I once played with a newer one and an older one. Both shot "OK", but both triggers were heavy and spongey. I couldn't find anyone to work on them for me, and my Godson couldn't master the pull on the original. Well, it "was" four (4) degrees that morning, ha. It was a combination of a very light rifle and heavy, spongely trigger that made it hard to hit with for him. He was 13 at the time and a skinny kid. Fortunately, I had brought an old BAR .270 with a nice 3# pull that he could use well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 59 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,531
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.