Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Most "quality" items are higher priced, which they should be, over lower quality items. Price alone (even if priced below what they are worth) puts them out of a lot of people's range....so they're harder to sell. Someone may recognize it as a great buy, something they'd love to have, but even if they can afford it they decide to hang on to the $2000 rather than purchase the $4000 rifle. They may take the $ and buy a $1500 rifle for $1000 instead....even though the "deal" might not have been as good it was easier for them to palate the cost. For most people $ matters and in a quality firearm put together with quality parts by a quality smith it's simply going to be more expensive. Same holds true for scopes, stocks, knives, etc.

Desire to purchase does not mean ability to do so. I had the wants for years before I had the money to buy.
Shrapnel is right quality firearms looking for a home will find one. The buyer just needs to know they are for sale. People who search the online sights find the hard to find items. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
GB1

D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
JCM and hasbeen two valid post.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Please don't take this the wrong way. This is just my opinion. You are basing this post on the difficulty you are having selling a friends rifles or at least it seems that way. I went out and looked for some of these rifles and found 3, none of which are overpriced.

1. Kimber 84 SSV Single shot rifle - You would think that the price you have on the kimber would make it sell quick. The problem is that it is a single shot 223. In my opinion, the market is a smaller for that rifle. A kimber in 308 with an internal magazine at that price would have sold quickly
2. Custom Rifle J.W. VanPatten - Custom mausers are hard to sell in your basic market. They just are. Custom rem 700 clones are all the rage. There are people that appreciate them. You just have to find them.
3. Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless - Not to offend model 70 lovers but the model 70 does not have the market that some of the others like remington and kimber have and to sell a model 70 for that price may take longer to sell than a kimber in the same price range.

Again, no offense intended and the rifles you are selling are beautiful and are at a fair price. Its just an observation. I just think the market is smaller for those rifles which makes them harder to sell. You have to find the right market. Its kind of like trying to sell a WWII mauser in mint condtion with all the same serial numbers. You are better off going to a militaria show to sell it than selling it on this website. People will know what they are looking at and are in the market for it. I would try gunbroker.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
d500lnn: I must draw your attention to a couple of more "quality" items that sold on this forum very recently!
The two "quality" items that sold (from two different sellers here-on!) sold very QUICKLY!
One sold in two minutes and the other apparently sold in 0 (zero!) minutes!
The quality items that you do not think have a chance of selling here-on were both Leupold scopes one a 4x12 with A/O and the other a Leupold variable unknown if it had an A/O.
Further proof that your original contention was/is completely specious (without merit!)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I again notice that YOU are still frequenting the want-ads here - have you learned the error of your ways, DICK?

D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Please don't take this the wrong way. This is just my opinion. You are basing this post on the difficulty you are having selling a friends rifles or at least it seems that way. I went out and looked for some of these rifles and found 3, none of which are overpriced.

1. Kimber 84 SSV Single shot rifle - You would think that the price you have on the kimber would make it sell quick. The problem is that it is a single shot 223. In my opinion, the market is a smaller for that rifle. A kimber in 308 with an internal magazine at that price would have sold quickly
2. Custom Rifle J.W. VanPatten - Custom mausers are hard to sell in your basic market. They just are. Custom rem 700 clones are all the rage. There are people that appreciate them. You just have to find them.
3. Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless - Not to offend model 70 lovers but the model 70 does not have the market that some of the others like remington and kimber have and to sell a model 70 for that price may take longer to sell than a kimber in the same price range.

Again, no offense intended and the rifles you are selling are beautiful and are at a fair price. Its just an observation. I just think the market is smaller for those rifles which makes them harder to sell. You have to find the right market. Its kind of like trying to sell a WWII mauser in mint condtion with all the same serial numbers. You are better off going to a militaria show to sell it than selling it on this website. People will know what they are looking at and are in the market for it. I would try gunbroker.

No offense taken whatsoever ever. I agree and your words are thoughtful and taken in context. I’ve never sold a rifle on gunbroker. Probably never bought one either. I recently sold a bundle of odds and ends at a quick pace. That was great. I’m not speaking necessarily about these items I’ve listed. I just notice some other firearms and such not selling and they are priced correctly. It has everything to do with the right audience seeing the rifle and having the means to purchase the rifle(or scope, binocular, etc.) if my friend is willing to wait it out( he doesn’t need the money) and collect a fair price, then so be it. I’m just the picture taker and lister. He’s chimed in many times. Again, if anyone would really like one of these rifles contact “ via PM and I’m sure he’d be glad to chat. He’s been around a long time and knows a thing or two about hunting rifles in general. He’s got some great rifles that will take a certain customer to like, want and appreciate some of these rifles. Anyhow, thank you again for your response. Have a good one....

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
d500lnn: I must draw your attention to a couple of more "quality" items that sold on this forum very recently!
The two "quality" items that sold (from two different sellers here-on!) sold very QUICKLY!
The quality items that you do not think have a chance of selling here-on were both Leupold scopes one a 4x12 with A/O and the other a Leupold variable unknown if it had an A/O.
Further proof that your original contention was/is completely specious (without merit!)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I again notice that YOU are still frequenting the want-ads here - have you learned the error of your ways, DICK?

We may all consider "quality" differently. My opinion only, but when I think of quality I think of higher tier items. In scopes that would be upper grades of S&B, Nightforce NXS, etc.... Leupold scopes are more common, readily available, and at a lower price point. A $500 Leupold may sell quickly for $350.......a $2500 S&B may not sell at all for $1500.

D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

We may all consider "quality" differently. My opinion only, but when I think of quality I think of higher tier items. In scopes that would be upper grades of S&B, Nightforce NXS, etc.... Leupold scopes are more common, readily available, and at a lower price point. A $500 Leupold may sell quickly for $350.......a $2500 S&B may not sell at all for $1500.

JCM. I agree. I know certain mid orange scopes ar more desirable than others from what I can tell. Before classified on Internet, there was the shotgun news or nothing. I love classified for that very reason. Easy and much better than anything before to sell used items other than firearms...like scopes, binoculars, knives, gun parts etc....

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
d500ln (DICK): You must be asleep there dick!
Another quality item sold hereon for a good price and did so in less than ONE HOUR!
Refer to the want-ad for Leupold 36 power scope.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
d500ln (DICK): You must be asleep there dick!
Another quality item sold hereon for a good price and did so in less than ONE HOUR!
Refer to the want-ad for Leupold 36 power scope.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thanks for checking in there big stick’s little brother.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by warpig602
The market is soft. You also have to factor in that the tides are starting to shift from people who can appreciate the value or perhaps sentiment of something like a New have M70 Classic or JM stamped Marlin to newer shooters or a younger generation where they dont really care. In the age of Glocks and AR15's the appeal and nostalgia of Winchester levers and Colt 1911's are shrinking. Couple that with the guys who do appreciate the classics are starting to sell off their collections as they get older and you get a surplus of what were once hard to get(driving the value up) to a surplus of guns that people are slowly losing interest in(driving prices down). Today manufacturing has made getting a quality firearm more affordable for a cheaper price. Case in point, all my Model 70's say New Haven on them but my kids likely won't care.

Agree Warpig. I’m 34 and most of my friends don’t really care about the older and better quality guns, nor do they have the money to buy them. They are expensive and not a priority. That being said, if you ever have a New Haven classic stainless you want to sell, please let me know!

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Please refer to ULA. model 24 in 30-06.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
⬆️ Quality; priced right.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My point, exactly!
donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
d5500lndick: Please refer to the recent "quality item" (Buck 119) that sold hereon in 21 minutes!
Me thinks your contention is exceptionally erroneous (ridiculous/ludicrous!)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
d5500lndick: Please refer to the recent "quality item" (Buck 119) that sold hereon in 21 minutes!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Are you trying to suck this guys dick or? You’re definitely putting the time in...

When in the holy [bleep] has a $40 Buck knife became a quality item?

Last edited by Boonechaser; 05/23/19.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I guess to some people, Harbor Freight sells quality tools.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Price is what you pay, value is what you get...

D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Boonechaser
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Are you trying to suck this guys dick or? You’re definitely putting the time in...

When in the holy [bleep] has a $40 Buck knife became a quality item?

Hahaha. He actually is. He’s really good at it......I’m flattered someone thinks about my little post so much to continue to seek out “deals” use his spare time to “show me” about “quality” Buck knives....😂

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Over the years I’ve sold a lot of smaller items on the ‘Fire but with a couple of exceptions, rarely any higher end item for its real value. For example, one quality firearm I put on here, well-described, and at a “very good” price initially (and even with a couple of reductions), received the usual tire-kicking responses only. That’s with sending out multiple pic’s a couple of times.

Out of curiosity, I took it to a LGS where the guy who knew his stuff, rather giddily offered me $500 more than my asking price in the Classifieds, or $600 if I traded it on something else of theirs. And he had to re-sell at some kind of profit!

Ive tried but that’s been emblematic of my experience in the Classifieds..

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 05/23/19.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
most people are on here because they cant afford a postage stamp to mail a letter.. for instance the few that says, if it weren't for ( insert your words) ----------- I would be all over that . HAHAHA

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,610
Posts18,454,896
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.