Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by Quick_Karl
Originally Posted by Ranting
A?? A forum is that you Forum and Talk without thought there would be no FORUM and with people like you There DEFF would be no Forums! Do you have a Ruger Rigby?>>> I think NOT >>you have just come to BITCH!! Enjoy your sad LIFE!

Butch(er) has been doing this for over 10-years, on every firearms forum there is. He is a miserable old Texass blowhard that isn't happy unless he is trying to put someone else down - you would think that with all the toys and money he brags about having, he would be out doing something with them instead of being an internet forum a-hole.

Just ignore him and he will go away.

Don't know either Ranting or Butch personally. But from their posts I can deduce that Butch is a gentlemen who likes fine custom firearms. I have never known him to brag (except about his grandson). Ranting has chosen an apt handle. He rants nonsensical drivel. A screw may be loose? By interjecting into this thread and unwarrantly attacking Butch, acting all childish, siding with Ranting, causes me to question your maturity and sanity.

“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. – Mark Twain”

Like Sam Houston, I will vote for what is best for ME in 2020.
Texans read their Bibles to find what they want it to say, and are blind to what it actually says...
BP-B2

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by McInnis
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by Quick_Karl
A?? A forum is that you Forum and Talk without thought there would be no FORUM and with people like you There DEFF would be no Forums! Do you have a Ruger Rigby?>>> I think NOT >>you have just come to BITCH!! Enjoy your sad LIFE!

Butch(er) has been doing this for over 10-years, on every firearms forum there is. He is a miserable old Texass blowhard that isn't happy unless he is trying to put someone else down - you would think that with all the toys and money he brags about having, he would be out doing something with them instead of being an internet forum a-hole.

Just ignore him and he will go away.

Don't know either Ranting or Butch personally. But from their posts I can deduce that Butch is a gentlemen who likes fine custom firearms. I have never known him to brag (except about his grandson). Ranting has chosen an apt handle. He rants nonsensical drivel. A screw may be loose? By interjecting into this thread and unwarrantly attacking Butch, acting all childish, siding with Ranting, causes me to question your maturity and sanity.

Agreed, but I didn't even consider Butch to be bragging when he was talking about his grandson who was kicking for WVU a few years ago. That was pretty much justifiable pride to me. Ranting, please consider leaving us alone until you've grown up enough to contribute here without being so annoying.

“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. – Mark Twain”

Texans read their Bibles to find what they want it to say, and are blind to what it actually says...
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
"The best index to a person's character is (a) how he or she treats people who can't do him or her any good and (b) how he or she treats people who can't fight back. -Abigail Van Buren”

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ruger M77 Mk II Magnum Express Rifle .416 Rigby, I got the first one without the barrel band , I never killed anything with it and find it a bit HEV! but off the bench it seems to shoot very well! Anyone out there that shot this RIFLE and your thoughts.

I have one, but with the barrel band. It really over penetrates prairie dogs - the biggest and the meanest game I've shot with it. I'm not sure about expansion either, since so far I have not found bullets.

The rifle handles well. I had a Ruger 77 in 7mm Rem Mag that the felt recoil was higher - until I restocked it. But then I don't have a scope on my 416. I've tried a couple of loads 400 grain solids and a mono bullet, I think around 320 grain. Both very accurate or as accurate as I can shoot with metal sights.

Since I doubt that I'll make it to Africa, I will sell it at the Tulsa Gun show. If anyone is interested it has shot less than 40 rounds. It looks like new. Dies, brass 20 fired and 20 unfired, and bullets come with it along with the original box, rings etc..

$2,100 firm! (Plus shipping and insurance)

Last edited by Bugger; 03/08/19.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rossimp
. . . The M77 Mark II RSM (Ruger Safari Magnum) was a $1,200 gun new. It was also offered in express chambers such as 270 Win., 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06, 300 Win Mag and 338 Win Mag. Most of the cost on the rifles was for the finer circassian walnut stock. 20 years ago or so they were popular in Africa for most going abroad for hunting buffalo due to being inexpensive. The 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, 458 Win Mag and 458 Lott may not be as valuable today as the express chambers, especially 270 Win or 30-06 as they were limited in production. The larger bore RSM today sells for $1,800-$2,600 depending on condition. The express chambers can go for $2,500-$3,200 if in great condition. . . .

Yep. I own one in .416 Rigby with the circassian walnut. Heck of a rifle. Haven't shot it against dangerous game, but I would feel well armed against a charging lion.

Last edited by OrangeOkie; 05/20/19.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
He'll probably need 3 or 4 extra pages to complete that form...

Good bud shot a 41" buff in Zim with his RSM .416 Rigby. The PH liked the gun, said it was too heavy. The PH packed a .416 Rem in a PF M-70. Now how uncool can one get... blush

Everyone who knows anything knows you don't pack a PF DG rifle, it just ain't Kosher... grin

DF

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 05/20/19.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
400 gr TSX.

One slug, one buff.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 05/20/19.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Been thinking about taking a .460 Wby case (or .416/.378 Wby) and cutting it to 2.5" and then necking it to .416" or even as small as .338" and up to .475".

Last edited by elkhunternm; 05/22/19.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Been thinking about taking a .460 Wby case (or .416/.378 Wby) and cutting it to 2.5" and then necking it to .416" or even as small as .338" and up to .475".

So a belted Nosler/Norma?

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Forgot about those.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I like the idea of the fat 2.5” cases. Have been a fan for awhile.

Just thought going with the Norma case would save some steps. Lapua is making brass for it now to, which isn’t a bad thing.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Could use any of the .378 Wby based cartridges. I like the idea of shortening the .460 Wby (or .416 Wby) down to 2.5" and form it to .416. It should be easy just use a pipe cutter and cut to length and then size the case.

Something like this.....
https://www.lowes.com/pd/BrassCraft-1-4-in-to-1-1-8-in-Copper-Tube-Cutter/999904025

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bugger
Ruger M77 Mk II Magnum Express Rifle .416 Rigby, I got the first one without the barrel band , I never killed anything with it and find it a bit HEV! but off the bench it seems to shoot very well! Anyone out there that shot this RIFLE and your thoughts.

I have one, but with the barrel band. It really over penetrates prairie dogs - the biggest and the meanest game I've shot with it. I'm not sure about expansion either, since so far I have not found bullets.

The rifle handles well. I had a Ruger 77 in 7mm Rem Mag that the felt recoil was higher - until I restocked it. But then I don't have a scope on my 416. I've tried a couple of loads 400 grain solids and a mono bullet, I think around 320 grain. Both very accurate or as accurate as I can shoot with metal sights.

Since I doubt that I'll make it to Africa, I will sell it at the Tulsa Gun show. If anyone is interested it has shot less than 40 rounds. It looks like new. Dies, brass 20 fired and 20 unfired, and bullets come with it along with the original box, rings etc..

$2,100 firm! (Plus shipping and insurance)

It didn't sell in Tulsa. I think the biggest game I'll be hunting is probably Moose and I think the 416 won't be needed.
Lots of solids and mono bullets, 20 unfired cases and 20 fired cases, dies, everything that came from the factory in the factory box.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i own 1- 416 Rigby in a Ruger # 1

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
510 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 49 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.