Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Chris, I'll look into that...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Id still like to know how that rifle shoots in the black rifle challenge here. 3 shot groups arent really a good indicator of how "accurate" a rifle truly is.... mine shoots sub 1/2 moa 3 shot groups with the load it likes. Hell, it even shoots sub 3/4 moa 5 shot groups out to 450 yards with the 168 Hornady match bullets. But i straight up call it an honest 1.6 moa rifle.

I wasn't familiar with the black rifle challenge, so I took a look. I'm sure it's a good assessment of mechanical accuracy, and I might be interested in such a challenge with a rifle set up to be a PRS rig, or a heavy chunk built for prairie dog towns or possibly just LR targets. The R-25 GII is not what I'd consider for that role, and for me, a lightweight, hunting-style rifle that was purchased for pigs and deer inside 300-350yds does not really require such a stringent test. It'd be interesting, I suppose, but if this rifle will group three shots in 1 MOA in three consecutive groups (especially in different conditions/days/ranges), I consider it a MOA gun for my purposes. Just one three-shot group? Then probably not, although it's always nice to see promising signs of things that may come....

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Faxon makes very light weight barrels.
Good adjustable gas block is a good thing.
Aero Precision will sell you a good Lower and upper to get started on the build
Understand:
Dpms high vs low, upper recievers

I don't understand how you could build a light weight rifle without a faxon or something similar.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JPro

Id still like to know how that rifle shoots in the black rifle challenge here. 3 shot groups arent really a good indicator of how "accurate" a rifle truly is.... mine shoots sub 1/2 moa 3 shot groups with the load it likes. Hell, it even shoots sub 3/4 moa 5 shot groups out to 450 yards with the 168 Hornady match bullets. But i straight up call it an honest 1.6 moa rifle.

I wasn't familiar with the black rifle challenge, so I took a look. I'm sure it's a good assessment of mechanical accuracy, and I might be interested in such a challenge with a rifle set up to be a PRS rig, or a heavy chunk built for prairie dog towns or possibly just LR targets. The R-25 GII is not what I'd consider for that role, and for me, a lightweight, hunting-style rifle that was purchased for pigs and deer inside 300-350yds does not really require such a stringent test. It'd be interesting, I suppose, but if this rifle will group three shots in 1 MOA in three consecutive groups (especially in different conditions/days/ranges), I consider it a MOA gun for my purposes. Just one three-shot group? Then probably not, although it's always nice to see promising signs of things that may come....

Thanks Jpro. It's always "interesting" and imformative to see how our rifles shoot, regardless of how heavy they are. Currently, 2 of my lightest rifles I own are known sub moa in the "moa all day long challenge". As for the black rifle challenge here, my lightest barreled AR shoots the best of all of my AR's and it is a cheapy barrel at that. I'd say the barrel profile/contour is similar to your R25. Also, my AR10 will only shoot 1.6 moa in the challenge. Hence the reason for asking how yours does. Another big reason is because I was seriously considering buying a rifle similar to yours. These things were made to shoot. Shooting 3 shot groups is almost pointless when it comes to shooting an AR, even if you are considering it a "hunting" rifle. I don't like to waste my time with 3 shot groups:
[Linked Image]

They are just plain boring and don't really give you the full jest of what the rifle really shoots like. Again, not calling you out, just wondering how yours really shoots. I could just say mine is a sub 1/4 moa all day long rifle, but in reality it is not...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Funny story, check your new factory rifles over very well when you get them. I just bought a brand spanking new S&W Performance center AR10 6.5 creedmoor and the damn barrel nut was only hand tight!!!!!!!!!!!! SOB..... mad Seriously, I just took the barrel nut off by hand. Now I need to get a damn wrench. I should have just put one together myself... Lesson learned..

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Made a barrel nut wrench this morning. Seasoned the threads at 40 ft. lbs and then did a final torque to 70 ft. lbs. Hand cut out tool worked great. Rifle back together, and yes, I'll post a range report wink :

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny story, check your new factory rifles over very well when you get them. I just bought a brand spanking new S&W Performance center AR10 6.5 creedmoor and the damn barrel nut was only hand tight!!!!!!!!!!!! SOB..... mad Seriously, I just took the barrel nut off by hand. Now I need to get a damn wrench. I should have just put one together myself... Lesson learned..

Damn messican workforce.. oh wrong thread

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Made a barrel nut wrench this morning. Seasoned the threads at 40 ft. lbs and then did a final torque to 70 ft. lbs. Hand cut out tool worked great. Rifle back together, and yes, I'll post a range report wink :

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What no channel locks? And two grunt torque check

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ha ha.. Happy fathers day to all you old grumpy bastids. Im going to shoot my new fathers day present. Then the kids are taking me out to dinner. cool

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ha ha.. Happy fathers day to all you old grumpy bastids. Im going to shoot my new fathers day present. Then the kids are taking me out to dinner. cool

Nice you got a good crew there. Me and my bride are about to go combat fishing down on the Russian river.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just got my first AR10. I have an AR15 in 5.56 and 6.8. Got this one cheap from PSA. $540 including tax, plus another $25 at the LGS for the transfer. 20" SS barrel 1-10 twist with rifle length gas. I added the MAGPUL stock and a AR Stoner muzzle brake.

[Linked Image]

Shot it for the first time Saturday. Seems a bit over gassed. Brass was landing 10-12' away and the brass was beat up pretty bad.

First up was a box factory Winchester 150 PP to zero and check cycling on the center target. This ammo shoots about 1.5" in my bolt gun so I was not expecting much. Had one box left so used it here.

Then 3 rounds of SSA 168 gr match factory rounds to check accuracy potential on the left upper orange dot. This was only 3 rounds, but they show great potential for this barrel. Now if I can duplicate that load. That factory ammo shoots the same from my bolt gun.

I had loaded 40 rounds of Hornady 155 amax with a mid range load of CFE223 just to break in the action/barrel, but only fired 10 rounds on the right side of the target.Those were just a tad on the hot side so I will reduce the loads a little. I was not aiming real carefully, more focused on checking the cycling.

[Linked Image]

My AR15s have adjustable gas blocks and I have them tuned to where they shoot reliably but soft. Brass lands 3' away. I am planning on getting a adjustable gas block for this AR10 and hope to soften it up a little.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by scoony
Just got my first AR10. I have an AR15 in 5.56 and 6.8. Got this one cheap from PSA. $540 including tax, plus another $25 at the LGS for the transfer. 20" SS barrel 1-10 twist with rifle length gas. I added the MAGPUL stock and a AR Stoner muzzle brake.

[Linked Image]

Shot it for the first time Saturday. Seems a bit over gassed. Brass was landing 10-12' away and the brass was beat up pretty bad.

First up was a box factory Winchester 150 PP to zero and check cycling on the center target. This ammo shoots about 1.5" in my bolt gun so I was not expecting much. Had one box left so used it here.

Then 3 rounds of SSA 168 gr match factory rounds to check accuracy potential on the left upper orange dot. This was only 3 rounds, but they show great potential for this barrel. Now if I can duplicate that load. That factory ammo shoots the same from my bolt gun.

I had loaded 40 rounds of Hornady 155 amax with a mid range load of CFE223 just to break in the action/barrel, but only fired 10 rounds on the right side of the target.Those were just a tad on the hot side so I will reduce the loads a little. I was not aiming real carefully, more focused on checking the cycling.

[Linked Image]

My AR15s have adjustable gas blocks and I have them tuned to where they shoot reliably but soft. Brass lands 3' away. I am planning on getting a adjustable gas block for this AR10 and hope to soften it up a little.

Great report on your new rifle. Good luck with it. It looks sweet and one hell of a good deal.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JPro
I bought one of the 20” GII Remington R25 308’s last year. It shoots surprisingly well and is around 7.5lbs with its fluted SS barrel. Their blueprint is not a bad one. Handles like an AR15 and is becoming one of my favorite hunting rifles.

According to Remington, the first gen R25's were heavier:

Type: gas-operated, semi-auto
Caliber: .243 Win.; 7mm-08 Rem.; .308 Win.
Barrel: 20"; free-floated; 1:10" twist
Trigger: single-stage; 4 lbs., 2 ozs. pull
Magazine: 4-round detachable (accepts some other AR-10-style mags.)
Sights: none; Picatinny rail for optics
Safety: two-position
Stock: Zytel; LOP-14.125"
Overall Length: 39.75"
Weight: 8.75 lbs.
MSRP: $1,567

So if you compare your rifle to the GI, the OP can get some hints on getting the weight down to what your rifle weighs. The stock is lighter, the GII also uses a lighter BCG, so if wanting to build a lightweight AR10 6.5 creed, he's going to have to start off with a lightweight barrel and go from there with lighter parts. Maybe he can do some research and see who offers the lightest receivers. The AR10's are all over the board when it comes to receiver heft. I know my new S&W M&P 10 weighs 9 pounds from the factory and it has a pretty slim barrel on it.
The OP wants a 7.5 pound rifle, he's going to really have to work hard to scrape that together. Probably going to have to be more selective on the parts he does buy...

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good thread gave me some answers I needed. I want to build and still might a GII AR-10 with components from PSA. But the other day I managed to swop some outdoor gear I had and no longer need for a Armalite AR-10T looking forward to shooting this. I 've got some high 30 mm tactical rings and am going to use a Mk4 10x Leupold on it. I have some of that SSA brass and a whole pile of FC308 I believe match brass. I thought I would concentrate at first with the various 168 gr bt hp bullets. I appreciate any suggestions on this. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

150 members (10Glocks, 44mc, AlleghenyMountain, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 15 invisible), 1,966 guests, and 796 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,693
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.