Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I've been a Kershaw fan for a while now. Regardless of the model, they just seem to fit me well, balance perfectly, and take an edge easily.

Current EDC = Blur with S30V blade

[Linked Image]

I used to carry the Blackout ST, but I lost a couple of 'em, & found the Blur. I found I actually prefer a drop point, anyway.

[Linked Image]

The 3/4 ton is a cheapie that still has its charms. I believe 'twas $9.95 on sale, and doesn't have opening assist. Still, it's hell-for-tough, opens with barely a wrist flick, and takes an edge lickety-split. This one rides in the center console.

[Linked Image]

Not to be left out is the Link, which came to me via the generosity of KillerTraylor at the recent 24HCF hog hunt. It's a finger opener, that has the same excellent balance and edge-taking ease as the others.

[Linked Image]

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with the value of a one hand opening knife

I'm on board with a secure locking mechanism

And I like a great steel that takes and holds an edge.

But despite all that, and I've got knives with all those qualities, my current everyday knife is the SAK Farmer. It does so many things so well...[Linked Image]

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The alox Farmer is a great pocket knife. So is the plastic handled Hiker model.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by FOsteology
I know it's rather subjective, and can vary widely depending on what industry/type of work one does. However, curious as to what everyone is using for an edc folder. I haven't really carried a pocket knife for years, but recently have found myself needing a knife for various tasks. Currently I have a Benchmade 535 Bugout. It's a nice enough knife, but the handle leaves much to be desired as there's no reinforcement, so the handle tends to flex a bit.

Thinking about trying something else.

Trying to narrow it down to one knife that fits all possible criteria better than any other knife, such as ergonomics, blade shape, thickness, steel type/edge type, price, weight, sharpening skill, sharpening habits, etc.

Must haves:

1. Has to be sharp, and hold an edge well.
2. Must lock securely
3. Must be dependable
4. Relatively inexpensive (under 150)

So, what are you gents using? Pictures, blade material, and model names appreciated.

benchmade bugout and the spyderco paramilitary 2 have been my favorites. the spyderco is more robust but the benchmade is a little more portable.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
This has been my every day carry since I bought it.
Theirs been some bad reviews with this model, but mostly the non pro version.
I’ve never had any problems with mine and I wouldn’t recommend the non pro model.
The G10 stiffens the knife up. The plastic non pro isn’t durable.
IMO not worth the $100 price tag but I didn’t pay that for it so I’m good.
https://www.buckknives.com/product/112-slim-knife-pro/0112FAM03/

agree that these are good ones. the select is a whole lotta knife for $30-35, but like you said not as durable.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is what I've been carrying for a little over a year now. Small enough to not be an issue carrying, but still manages to be quite handy when needed.

Squid

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Odessa
For the past 45 years I have primarily carried a Stockman pattern pocketknife. I've gone from the Premium Stockman size (4") down to a Pen size (3") but finally settled on the Medium Stockman (3-1/2") as perfect for my needs. I like having three blades available; as to brand I have accumulated a decent number of Stockman, but several by Case and Buck are my top prefered carries. The Case come with either CV or SS, Buck only available in SS. I prefer SS for keeping it clean, but CV is fine too and my two favorites are CV. This old Case 6332 is one of my favorites.

[Linked Image]

You can find perfectly serviceable older Stockman knives on eBay for $10-15 shipped. I have a Ranger but there are scads of them from makers like Imperial, Old Cutler and the like that will have 1095 steel blades and can be slicey dicers

Have also dabbled I’m the bargain Barlow offerings on eBay.

Last edited by mogwai; 05/07/19.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
With all this recent talk about the Rat II, I thought I should try one - this showed up yesterday...

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm also liking the Rat II in D2. I'm not in love with the blade shape, but it works, and I like their D2 better than any factory S30V I've used.

I got the black blade, and the paint comes off pretty quick, but who cares.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Coming late to the party. Have carried a Benchmade on the farm for almost 30 years. I think it is called a CQC7 or something close. Damn tough piece of hardware. Have used it to repair fence tape, cut bale wrappers, twine on the baler, etc. Ended up buying a multi grit diamond stone and learned to gently bring back the edge. I also agree with Mogwai about the medium stockman. Wouldn't be without it. Carry both. For up close, personal encounters I am enjoying having a ZT 0350TS. Thanks to a couple of you other guys, now I've got the itch for a Rat II. I'm beginning to think this site might be the death of my check book.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Benchmade 710 everyday.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Don't know if it's the best, but I've been carrying a Benchmade 551 Sand for over 15 years. Like I said recently, in another forum, If I'm awake and wearing pants, there's a Griptilian clipped to the pocket.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Trusting it is pants or nothing, right?

Liking the rat, here.

Defend the Constitution
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E

Right.

Is there another option. Tried clipping it to the waistband of my drawers, but my wife said I just look silly.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 05/24/19.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

A few of the Pioneers I really like

Mike

Last edited by ready_on_the_right; 05/31/19.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Best EDC Folder ?
- - - - - - - - - - -

I have lots of knives, many inexpensive ones, that I still esteem - from Sodbuster Jr. to Kershaw stonewashed, etc.

But today I joined THE CLUB !!! - A garage sale find on a table in a dark back area of the garage where
two ladies sat at the end of this table by the cash box, and right across from me sat a quiet older gentleman.

As I looked into a shallow box of unrelated mish-mash items labeled - '75 Cents For Each Object' . . .

I saw a rather disgusting cheaply made, ugly looking designed folding knife in the low light.
I picked the knife up gingerly trying to make out just how 'bad' this splotchy coated knife is?
As I'm trying to make something out of the knife in the dark, I notice on the top of the blade near the spine -
the 'BUTTERFLY' !

I asked the man if this was his knife? He said, Yes, I carried it every day for many years.
I told the gentleman, I think this is a really good knife - He smiled.
I offered the ladies more than the 75 cents asked - I wanted to pay more but still needed some of what I had.

When I got home I took a wash cloth and went after the dull total coating of time, dust & grime - I guess.
Everything that I thought looked like abrasion, corrosion, whatever - all came off with just a wet rag, yielding
a near perfect knife underneath all the grime.

This knife is 100% - Unbelievable! There IS a big difference in this knife compared to any other knife I've ever owned.
I went to the bank and got some cash, then to the corner of the garage sale sign - but driving down the
winding street, the houses all look alike and all the garage doors were closed.

I'll try again tomorrow morning. Hope to make things fairer above board.
I now have my first Benchmade Knife ever, It's an Osborne design 154 cm - EDC.

A Diamond in the Rough!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes the RAT continues to impress.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
i don't know about best, but I've carried a 154CM mini-grip for the past 2 1/2 yrs, and it holds a good edge and usually only needs a stropping to bring it back to shaving sharp. I think I've actually only put it on a stone two or three times during that time. I had recently retired when I got it, and it's been used almost daily for everything around here and out at our farm that a knife would be used on. Except deer, other knives (Tim Olt semi-spear is awesome) are better suited, but I'm sure it would do just fine if needed.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
after reading mixed reviews of the buck slim 112 pro, i just had to have one. it is not up to benchmade craftsmanship, but a whole lotta S30V knife for approx $70. the only thing i dont like is the clip, which is kinda like a short bus afterthought. easy to remove, of course. i liked the knife enough that i also got the 110 version, which is better for most cutting applications, it just doesnt EDC as well.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
611 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,798 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.