Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Caribou Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Live from my camp , it took a couple weeks, but I’m logged in here.........time to slop some posts when I can for your perusal and comment......

It isn’t like I missed this place,...........no.......I just couldn’t admit that......

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ducks and geese right now? Gotta be close to open water for the skiff. Internet at camp sounds like torture! Haha!

Caribou Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Weve been boating in the river for two weeks.
The rains in Febuary,March, and April basically melted us down, and capped our Tundra in ice, then melted again......a melt down rather than break up.

Geese, Ducks, Beaver’s n Muskrats.......today it’s Seagull and Geese eggs, yesterday was just a start.

For the first time in known history, Kotzebue Sound didn’t freeze last year, and for the second time, it didn’t freeze this Winter. Boating here in the Alaskan Arctic is now doable ,year round.

it’s a complete and total loss of habitat.

Now that we have the “dish”, we don’t need to go back to the village.......ever.....lol!

5 gallons through my Honda 2000 generator lasts more than 2 weeks at 2 hours a day.

Dang, can’t attach the picture of my dish mounted on its sled.......take that chit anywhere....... laugh

Last edited by Caribou; 05/19/19.

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haha, ya you need to get a pic of that dish on its sled. Now if that isn’t two worlds colliding I don’t know what is! I didn’t know the sound didn’t freeze this winter. Must have made it tough to load up on the sheefish.

Caribou Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
We were lucky on 5he fishing, although most of our Fall Whitfish became dog food, rather than last the winter through.

The iced Tundra had the Caribou leave as their habituate gave little food, we ate a lot more Rabbits and Ptarmigan here, but I caught a few Caribou by Noorvik, so it figured out.

Sealing for the wife was undoable, it was rotten through and through, caught us with our wither gear ,snowgo’s, and trapping outfit here, rather than put away in Noorvik, so I see a lot of load for the boat this Summer, lol!

Big Stick
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Glad to have you back!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes glad to hear from you ! sure have enjoyed below zero series watching family and you. i imagine bugs will be terrible for you this summer.take care and be safe,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Wow was just thinking of you guys the other day! Take care and be Safe!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
You’re supposed to be off-line when you’re in camp.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Question, Another forum has a so called Alaska guy bitching that the Natives have no hunting laws. Said they are ruining Alaska by being able to hunt anything, anytime, and anywhere.
I'm 99% sure that is untrue.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Not even maybe 50% true. The biggest factor is a lack of enforcement resources on the ground. There are regulations in place everywhere, including on Native owned lands. Regs without enforcement capability means it is entirely voluntary. Some will, some won't. Elders generally have a fairly good conservation outlook. Teen to 35's, not so much....

And in "Indian country", they are largely able to set the rules anyway, and you can imagine how that often goes.

As an 8 yearresident "subsistence" hunter in Kotzebue, moved back into a "sport" hunter in Soldotna about a year ago, let's just say I'm reading regulations in finer detail now days..... smile

And a white guy in "Indian country" better be paying attention anyway - can't get away with indiscretion worth a damn!

Last edited by las; 05/21/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Laws can and will be broken, but they do not have unlimited fishing and hunting rights.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 05/21/19.
Caribou Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have lots to do in camp, so it’s sporadic at best.

When we see some darkness in August I might get into a better routine....

So............All Native lands are private lands, and therefore subject to State of Alaska rules, limits, regulations, and enforcement, or the lack of such, in these vast areas.....as Las noted, and I very much agree.
All Alaskans have subsistence rights all over 5he state.
Fed subsistence laws dictate 5hat locals have preference, and that’s at odds with state laws.

All Alaskans are subject to these rules/ laws and opportunity’s.

Last edited by Caribou; 05/24/19.

Big Stick
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Put a piece of goose fat in the fire for Alvin Williams. He was one of the nicest guys I knew in Ambler and I coached his two boys to be state champs when they were little. Be careful out there.

Caribou Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
To add to more bad news, my wife’s cousin Alfred John Coffin and his oldest son Ronald are a week and a half over due from Goose hunting.
I might be in Noorvik soon.

This no good ice year has killed 1/2 dozen in our region alone, 3 in one go up in Noatak.

Big Stick
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Cold and snow never threatened my life during 14 cumulative years in the Arctic. Going into the water thru bad ice almost got me 3 times.

I'm way luckier than I am good.... or smart.

Last edited by las; 06/12/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.