Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Since I am getting in better shape I have thought about getting my 10 year old son and myself some mountain bicycles. I just need them to be able to have wide enough tires and shift low enough that we can ride some power lines and woods trails.

I don't know a thing about buying a mountain bicycle. Should I just go to Walmart and pick one out? Is there a specific good cheaper brand to look for either new or used? Is there a specific feature I will need to look for that makes for a better bike?

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Look here......good pricing/free shipping.......

Shimano components.........plenty of options/sizing

sizing & components are important.......Look in the $400 range.....

Walmart....nah.......

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mountain_bikes.htm

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I"m sure you'll get alot of opinions on this

In my opinion, there are 3 levels of bikes

The first is big box store bikes. They will be the cheapest

The second is bike store entry level bikes - typically these are brands like Trek , Specialized , Felt, and Giant. I'm sure there are many other brands.

then you have the high end stuff.

If you think this is a fleeting interest and you want to try it out before you go all in, then , again, IMO, an $80 wal-mart mountain bike will do to get you started.

The difference will be it will be a cheaper grade aluminum (or steel), the seat will be minimal and the shifters/gears will be pretty basic. It may or may not have suspension of some type.

My wife and I bought used slightly higher end bikes off Craigslist. She has a Giant Cypress and I have a Giant Revel. We ordered gel/foam seats off amazon for about $20 a pop. These are like 15 year old bikes - the gears and brakes work fine and its a higher quality bike we scooped for about $65 a pop. Then we took them in for a tuneup to a bike shop for $25 a piece.

The real issue however is not so much the bike brand but how it fits you. When you're a kid, you just hop on the bike and ride - you don't give a schit if your feet can barely touch the ground or whatever, but at my age, the bike has to fit. I would suggest considering a type with higher handle bars to give you less strain on your back and hands. When you are 8 miles in and your back hurts, your hands are numb and your knees are creaking, you'll be wishing you took the time to find a bike that fit you better. The next bike I get is going to be a multi-speed cruiser - like a modern version of a 50's era bike , but my riding is mostly level trails and bike paths.

Gears are overblown, IMO too. While they aren't much of a cost factor, a 7 speed bike is just as effective as a 21 speed.

just my .02 cents

Last edited by KFWA; 05/24/19.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
btw, china has a huge oversupply problem of bikes in China, that's why you can find so many cheap

[Linked Image]

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
It's not the brand. All bike manufacturers and component makers have different levels of items. Think Kimber--you can go all the way from a Custom II to a Custom Shop. I'd try to get mid-level Shimano components with at least a front suspension. Padded bike shorts and padded palm gloves make all the difference in the world.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
My wife and I ride Giants. A Revel and a Revel II. These are not actually died in the wool mountain bikes, but more of a cross over type bike with shocks on the front. Ours does not have disc brakes, and somewill say that is the way to go. Ask the dealer what they recommend for the type riding you anticipate you and your son will be doing.

Please do not just go to Wal-Mart and grab a cheap bike. Get good bikes from a dealer that will service and or repair when needed. More of a recipe for success if you will.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Craigslist is your friend. Read some sizing guides online to get a baseline for fit, then go try a few out. Wal Mart will get you a $150 bike which will likely be utter crap and weigh a ton. Bike shops will probably start in the ~$600 range for a basic bike, up to ~$10K. You can buy a perfectly serviceable front suspension bike from a major manufacturer on Craigslist for around $2-$300. This will allow you to get some experience and learn what you like and don't like.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Whatever bike you look at, get one that specifies a specific height - usually from the center of the pedal hub to the top of the seat stem (I think), that’s fitted to your inseam length.

I believe when seated, your feet should be flat on the ground with your legs straight (and not bent). At least that’s what I remember when I and my wife were fitted for our bikes. .

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Bought a Trek 8000 over 25 years ago......$800 retail then

I was a sprocket head back then......

Sure its old school compared to whats out there now....

Still ride it......actually need to have a good tune & replace any worn parts

As mentioned.....stay away from Walmart...you get what you pay for !

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
My next bike will be a mountain e-bike. Downside is they're expensive. Upside is going up that steep grade, riding farther and faster and being able to pack more gear on your bike for hunting or camping. I personally believe it won't be too long before the majority of bikes sold have some sort of battery/electric assist.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never buy a Walmart bike. You will not be happy. The components are low-grade, flex, drag, and break. Either go to a real bike shop or buy a good, used, major brand on Craigslist or the like.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Even if you're just beginning, do some internet research and buy a mid-priced name brand from a good dealer and stay away from "bargains". The bargains will only cause you to become an expert bike repair person.

That said, where is Jell-o when he might serve a purpose.....? I understand that he's into biking and "working out" in general now that he has apparently given up on being a savvy political pundit.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Light is good, very good.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Light is good, very good.

Yes, but it's much cheaper to lose the weight off your own body than off the bike.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you have a bike coop in your area they are a good source that is worth checking out. They typically sell bikes they have received as donations and refurbished.

If the one here is any indication they will have bikes ranging from decent quality clear up to high end customs and all at usually more than fair pricing.

The one here is usually more than happy to help get someone on a bike. I've bought 2 frames and a bunch of parts from it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tpcollins

I believe when seated, your feet should be flat on the ground with your legs straight (and not bent). At least that’s what I remember when I and my wife were fitted for our bikes. .

Nowhere near right. In order to get decent power, your leg should be slightly bent when the pedal is all the way at the bottom. Thus, you're going to be just about on tiptoe with your feet on the ground.

Old rule of thumb was inseam length minus 12" equals frame size, but nowadays it's probably more like 14".

Don't go big box store.

Starting out, you probably can't go wrong with Giant. They used to manufacture a lot of bikes sold by other brands. A LOT.

Good recommendation on going used.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I can't speak for SRAM but as far as Shimano Components I prefer to buy Deore XT level for myself, but that can get spendy.

For budget components Alivio or Deore level is more than good enough. Deore is probably the sweet spot for performance vs price.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd say go to a few bike shops, see what they have. Ask about used. Department store bikes are too low quality and a waste of money. A decent new bike will run you about $500. For that you will get a hardtail with a spring fork. It will have disk brakes, probably hydraulic. Reasonable components and should last you for years unless you really get into it and want to upgrade. Stay away from cheap full suspension. I personally really enjoy it and have worked up to a Trek Fuel EX7 - full suspension 'trail' bike. I ride about 2,000 miles per year. Mt. Bikes are how I stay in shape for fall.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Cycling used to be a big part of my life - I worked in bike shops for quite a few years through high school and college so am a bit biased towards buying from a bike shop vs. department stores. After a long layoff, I've been getting back into it the last couple of years and my wife and I recently bought Trek mountain bikes from a local shop. I personally wouldn't buy a bike without test riding it first (no different than buying a car or truck) but that may rule out the department store / mail order options. If you have access to a decent bike shop, you can test ride a few to get a feel for how a $400 bike rides compared to a $4000 one which may help you determine a price range you're comfortable with. You also may consider renting bikes for a day to get a feel for what it's all about - the shops here will apply the rental fee towards a purchase if you end up going that route.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Should have said I'm 51 and my son 10. We won't be doing any jumping,just trail riding. I've lost a lot of weight and am getting in a lot better shape wanting to get a lot better and he needs to get off the couch with dad for another activity that he might really like.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 160user, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,029 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.