Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
How "stylish".

[Linked Image]
"I feel like in some ways that I do have to prove myself a little bit more, prove that I belong here. And even a classmate told me, I think our freshman year, that I only got in because I was a black female," said Young, one of the few in her class chosen for medical school. (Cadet Hallie H. Pound/U.S. Army via AP)

West Point to graduate record number of black female cadets

By By MICHAEL HILL Associated Press | May 23, 2019 at 1:18 PM CDT - Updated May 23 at 1:18 PM

WEST POINT, N.Y. (AP) — The class of cadets preparing to jubilantly toss their caps in the air at the U.S. Military Academy’s graduation ceremony Saturday includes 34 black women, a record number that’s a sign of concerted efforts to diversify West Point’s Long Gray Line.

West Point remains mostly white and mostly male. The 34 women comprise a thin slice of the roughly 1,000 cadets in the Class of 2019. Sometimes, they're the only women of color in a classroom. Still, cadets said they're proud to be part of a milestone at the historic academy after four years of testing their limits.

"I just showed myself and those who thought I couldn't do it initially that yes, I can," said senior cadet Stephanie Riley, of Jacksonville, Florida. "And not just, 'yes, I can.' I can show other little girls that yes, you can come to West Point. Yes, you can do something that maybe the rest of your peers aren't actually doing. And yes, you can be different from the rest of the group."

Riley was among the black female cadets who recently posed for pre-graduation photos in their gray uniforms, holding out ceremonial sabers. The pictures — part of a tradition for graduating cadets — were posted widely online and became a symbol of West Point's increasing diversity.

"I was more excited to just take the picture because it means that we're all graduating and it was great to be there with a lot of my sisters who have been there for me in very tough times during summer training and during the academic year," said senior cadet Gabrielle Young, from Hopkins, South Carolina. "I didn't expect it to have the impact that it did around the country."

While West Point challenges every cadet, experiences can be different for black females.

Riley said people would look to her for comment during classroom discussions about race or slavery. Young said she's acutely aware of how she carries herself and how she's perceived by different people.

"I feel like in some ways that I do have to prove myself a little bit more, prove that I belong here. And even a classmate told me, I think our freshman year, that I only got in because I was a black female," said Young, one of the few in her class chosen for medical school.

West Point boosted efforts to recruit women and blacks after being told to diversify in 2013 by then-Army Chief of Staff Gen. Raymond Odierno. The academy changed its marketing approach and opened a diversity office. Admissions officials increased outreach to metropolitan areas like New York City, Atlanta and Detroit. Not all of these efforts were aimed specifically at minorities or women, but they broadened the search for qualified candidates.

The addition of NCAA women's lacrosse and rugby also helped West Point attract high school athletes.

The class graduating Saturday includes 223 women, the largest number since the first female cadets graduated in 1980. The class has 110 African Americans, double the number from 2013, and the largest number of Latinos, 88.

"We're beginning to see the fruits of our labors," director of admissions Col. Deborah McDonald said.

In another milestone, Lt. Gen. Darryl A. Williams became the first black superintendent at West Point last summer. In 2017, Simone Askew was the first black woman to become first captain of the Corps of Cadets, the highest student position at academy.

Even with the progress in diversity, West Point has not been immune to issues faced by the military and society. Sexual assault and harassment have been such a persistent problem that Williams suspended classes for a day in February so the entire academy could focus intently on them. And it was only four years ago that 16 black female seniors inadvertently stirred up controversy by raising clenched fists in one of their own pre-graduation pictures.

Critics saw political overtones in a gesture that supporters said was made in good-natured solidarity.

On Saturday, Young and Riley will be among the graduates commissioned second lieutenants in the U.S. Army after an address by Vice President Mike Pence. Riley will go into the Signal Corps. Young will study to become a doctor.

“I don’t think I would trade this experience for anything in the world,” Young said. “I know that I’ve accomplished a lot and I know that I’m prepared for whatever.”

From WAFF 48 News

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
God Bless each and every one of them and service to this country .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One can only shake his head at the thought of a gathering of all Caucasian men celebrating the color of their skin . . . and posing for a photo to document it. We are truly in an unrecoverable flat spin in race relations in this country. Until we become "color blind" it will only get worse.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Congratulations would be in order if we didn’t know that a path was cleared for all of them to take the place of better qualified white male applicants.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I commend their service. I don’t care for the photo shoot.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
HALF the women are black? Hmmmmm

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jdunham

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Yep.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

Agreed.

Good for them.....but the picture is lame-o!

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Agreed.

It just looks like girls horsing about in celebration after graduation, the girls and the picture are not a problem, the attention drawn it it is.

And good for them, they did the work.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd bet dollars to donuts they look at it as a check, bennies and a social statement and not service to the country.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brought to this nation by the former administration who worked so hard to destroy our military.If they engaged in the same procedures that were adopted by colleges all over this nation,that group most likely is the result of affirmative action.

I won't hire a black professional because I can't be assured that he's qualified.I can't take the time to find out if he passed through his college courses on his own merit or the result of affirmative action.This has been the goal of the sycophants who dominate our college/university complex.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." **Benjamin Franklin**
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Agreed.

It just looks like girls horsing about in celebration after graduation, the girls and the picture are not a problem, the attention drawn it it is.

And good for them, they did the work.

No. Its the picture.

I am MAGA.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Some look fat, just saying

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Some are fat, picture mocks the service.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
At least they aren’t on the Welfare tit.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/24/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
2/3rds of 'em will get knocked up if they hear they're going to be deployed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
God forbid we ever have to really go to war again.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This PC bullschidt will be the death of America.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Yep.

My comment was pure sarcasm , just saying ..

IMO not one of them went into the service for love of country .
This .
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I'd bet dollars to donuts they look at it as a check, bennies and a social statement and not service to the country.

Posted by Bristoe
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,585 guests, and 822 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.