H
HadsDad Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by szihn
Just one more note:
I see the post where the outfitter says you may need to shoot 400 yards.
So I want to make 2 points.

You may need to shoot 400 yards? Well that could be I guess, but I have hunted elk for over 40 years in several different states and I don't know exactly how many I have killed, but in all of them I can tell you the exact number of elk I killed at 400 yards or a bit more
It's exactly 1. At about 410 yards.

Point #2 is this: Who said you can't do well with a 8X57 at 400 yards?
The 8X57 in a strong action will do just about everything the 30-06 will do with bullets of 170-200 comparing them to the 30 cals of 165 to 200, grains, and the 30-06 is just fine at 400. In fact, that's not even a challenge for it.

The Germans used the 8X57 very successfully for a sniper's weapon in 2 World Wars. It's accuracy even at 2 X that distance (and sometimes more) is not in question, and with a 180 grain GMX you have expansion to an impact velocity of down to 2000 FPS and with the Nosler Partition you can extend that to about 1600 fps. So the 8X57, firing them at top speeds with safe pressures will give you good expansion with the GMX to just about 400 yards exactly, and the Nosler Partition will go clear out past 500 yards.

American read too many gun-rags and get an impression that anything made more then 15 years ago just can't work anymore.
But the track records of many of the older guns and shells proves otherwise.
If you shoot the 8X57 better then you do your 8X68 I would still use the 8X57. I have experience with the 8X68 too, and I have nothing bad to say about it. But if you favor the way the smaller rifle feels don't handicap yourself with the paranoia of thought that you can't shoot 400 yards with an 8X57, you sure can and it will do it well.

For your first point I agree. I've never shot an elk past about 225 yards. I am just trying to be prepared for what the outfitter is telling me.

As to your second point. Nosler literature says that the Partition needs 1,800 fps impact speed. So really I was just going by what Nosler has printed. If it has satisfactory performance at 1,600 I'm good. With a close to max charge of Ramshot Big Game and a 200 gr Partiton I am getting right at 2,550 fps and under 1" groups so I should be good even if I need 1,800 fps.

I have killed a lot of steel plates at 500 yards with my 8x57. But, I normally do it with the 170 gr SST at 2,800 fps. In fact I'm really bummed out that the SST isn't a good elk bullet, because it shoots so well in my rifle. Additionally, If I didn't think that it was enough rifle for elk I wouldn't be taking it. It is hands down my favorite hunting rifle and I know that it is plenty of gun for elk. I shot a pretty decent size red stag with it about a year and a half ago and it worked great.

I do feel that 400 yards is the outer limit of the 8x57's range on animals requiring heavier bullets. The 8x57 just doesn't have the case capacity to really sling a heavy, low BC bullet much past 400 yards and guarantee reliable expansion.

Why is abbreviate such a long word
GB1

H
HadsDad Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Angus1895

I think weight is important to a fat old man puffing around trying to climb mountains.

LOL. I totally agree with this

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think you should use whatever rifle you shoot well. Just accept the limitations of the 8x57 if that’s what you choose. I would not fret about core separation with that cartridge at the modest velocity it produces. Any expanding bullet placed well will kill an elk. Personally, I use the biggest .30 that I shoot comfortably that being a .300 Weatherby. When I hunted mixed timber I killed elk and deer quite adequately with my .308 Win. Hunting more open mountains, the .308 and such run out of gas way before the .300 Roy does. Most elk I have taken were inside 250 yards, however. But I would be prepared for the 400 yard opportunity also. That’s why I shoot 300 and 400 yard gongs after verifying zero before the hunt. There are a few spots where we hunt that are over a mile in with pretty rugged terrain for an old man and offer shooting opportunities generally less than 200 yards. That’s when I carry my lightweight .30-06 which is almost 3 pounds lighter than the .300 Wby. Good luck on your quest,

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
H
HadsDad Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by WAM
I think you should use whatever rifle you shoot well. Just accept the limitations of the 8x57 if that’s what you choose. I would not fret about core separation with that cartridge at the modest velocity it produces. Any expanding bullet placed well will kill an elk.

I agree with this. I just really want to kill one with my 8x57. I know it is not ideal given the possibility of 400 yard shots, but I shoot it better than any of my other rifles. If I had to drop down to a two rifle battery to hunt anything in the world, it would be my 8x57 and my 375 H&H. Those two rifles get more use than anything else in the safe. However, options are nice and only having two rifles would be boring.

After talking to a few people via PM, I think that I am going to eliminate the heavy bullets. so no 195,196 or 200 grain .323 bullets. That leaves 170 Hot Cor, the 175 Sierra Pro Hunter, and the 180 Nosler Ballistic Tip. I am leaning heavily toward the Nosler Ballistic tip mainly because Mule Deer recommended it. Does anyone have any experience with the 8mm Ballistic tip on elk?

Last edited by HadsDad; 05/24/19. Reason: spelling

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I completely understand. I’ve never killed an elk with my .30-06 either, but would like to do so this year.

I can’t speak from experience with the 8x57 on elk, but a friend’s dad killed all manner of hogs and deer with his using Ballistic Tips for many years. He used to wait until two hogs were in line and kill both with one shot, I’m told. If it’ll shoot through a good sized hog, it should do fine on elk. I think a BT should be fine at 8x57 velocity, not so much with an 8mm Remington Magnum. Looking forward to your report after the hunt. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

562 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 48 invisible), 1,929 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,234
Posts18,447,787
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.