Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
We have a 16'x20' cedar deck that's ready for replacement. I'm less than impressed with how the cedar held up and want to stick with wood to keep the cost down so I'm leaning towards switching to pressure treated lumber this time. If anyone has experience with both I'd like to hear your thoughts on which one you preferred and why.....thank you!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Trex.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The pressure treated looks kinda shabby after a few years.I'm not a fan of the synthetic.I am going to rebuild mine next year all redwood.The one I have now is redwood and was built in 76.The only thing that is rotten is the pine floor joist supporting it.I am told they put rubber tape on them now to help that

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Definitely cedar.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Trex and other plastic composites are HOT on the feet and really hot to sit around in the sun.

Think having a backyard BBQ on a hot summer day on your black shingled roof.

They also expand and contract more than any other decking product.

If installing in the cold, a gap of 1/8 to 1/4 inch at the butt joints is required( butt ugly), Otherwise when the sun hits it it will expand so much that it will actually break the screws. Yes, even the high dollar screws designed for trex.

It will look nice if you are a fan if [bleep] up butt joints, but using it and walking on it will not be an option unless the deck is out of direct sunlight.

Cedar is not as it used to be
The Old growth cedar from decades ago is all but gone. What we have today is lowland fast growth. Soft, not as resistant as old growth and will not only not old a finish it will not hold up over time.

Treated sucks. It is treated when the wood is wet(still green), after installing it shrinks so much your joints can look like Schit.
Plus it needs to sit for at least a year for it to air dry be for you can stain or seal it.

What’s left. Brown treated if it is treated after kiln drying. More money that plain treated but worth it. Or a composite that is very light in color with special hidden fasteners.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just re-did ours with treated 5/4 x 6 deck lumber from Lowe's. I rifled through about 5 for every one that I bought. most were so wet I could barely lift a 12 footer. but they are finally drying out, and look pretty OK. cheaper than cedar I am sure, but I did use some cedar for trim to cover ugly edges.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Cedar...no contest baby.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
in general i like pressure trtd syp. it can be replaced, and sometimes is. 6/4, radius edged.

if one has got the money, or the hankering, heart cypress or as close as you can get.

small production, ain't cheap, but it's been around.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Just me, I'd go for CCA in .6 retention if you can find it. They say proper screws are needed to not corrode.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kid0917
I just re-did ours with treated 5/4 x 6 deck lumber from Lowe's. I rifled through about 5 for every one that I bought. most were so wet I could barely lift a 12 footer. but they are finally drying out, and look pretty OK. cheaper than cedar I am sure, but I did use some cedar for trim to cover ugly edges.

+1

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Cedar

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Pt poles and framing, trex decking. No slivers, staining, rotting etc. I scrub mine down once a year, looks new...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Timbertech decking and fascia . Pressure treated framing. Fortress Railing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Did one last year, p.t. framing with teak decking. Really nice.
Want one to last and set on live wood, Ipe (ironwood). Pain in the ass to work with but longevity and aesthetically hard to beat

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Pressure treated will keep it's looks if you keep it sealed.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer pressure treated for the decking and support material. Cedar for everything else.

Living in the rain-soaked blowhole of Aleutian Hell has taught me a little on durability of materials in a land where everything rusts, rots and grows mold, moss and mildew.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The one main thing about having a deck, you never have nothing to do.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m in the same boat. Small deck job coming up and I’m about done with cedar.

Thinking synthetic or hardwood decking over PT frame with bolt down iron rail. Been looking at cumaru decking from Advantage lumber. Sure looks nice.

https://www.advantagelumber.com/cumaru_decking.htm

Need to look for some reviews.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I’m in the same boat. Small deck job coming up and I’m about done with cedar.

Thinking synthetic or hardwood decking over PT frame with bolt down iron rail. Been looking at cumaru decking from Advantage lumber. Sure looks nice.

https://www.advantagelumber.com/cumaru_decking.htm

Need to look for some reviews.

Fantastic stuff... unusual smell when cutting, but everything you could ask in decking. Well, except for predrilling...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
The pressure treated looks kinda shabby after a few years.I'm not a fan of the synthetic.I am going to rebuild mine next year all redwood.The one I have now is redwood and was built in 76.The only thing that is rotten is the pine floor joist supporting it.I am told they put rubber tape on them now to help that

Redwood is far from being the same everywhere. Avoid the incredibly light stuff from new growth ("sustainable") sources. It grows too fast so it is soft and lacks decay resistence.

Cypress is incredible, but is slippery when wet.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.