Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#13846322 05/24/19
G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Business model vs. so called charity aside, have you shopped there?

Wife calls me the other day & says she is stopping there so she might be late. I tell her to pick me up a 4 dollar flowered shirt in xxl. She bitches, I laugh & hang up.

She comes in with a nicer shirt than I'd normally buy for myself. It fits perfect & I wore it to a party on Friday night, that was an hour ago.

Nobody made fun of it, & I actually felt some admiration concerning the way I was dressed.

Is that a win?

Wife did make me give her $4.24.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Win! Go with my wife and daughters on occasion. Score sometimes, but I mostly look at the busted electronics. Sometimes find good work pants.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Gunzo: You did good (with the wife's help!).
I shop at thrift stores and donate to them as well - have for 51 years now.
My first "thrift store" shopping occurred when I was a young police recruit going to the police academy in a large west coast city.
The Goodwill type store was a block or so from the academy and on my hour long lunch I would walk in and peruse stuff. I felt funny shopping there though. I don't know why.
Anyway the academy was four months long and during one of our "morality type classes we were tasked with asking and answering a moral type question.
When my turn came most all of the good "moral questions" had been asked and discussed so I went with "was it morally okay for folks who had regular income to shop at the Goodwill"?
A surprisingly vigorous debate ensued amongst my 32 academy mates and the instructor over this. Half thought it immoral to take advantage of buying cheap donated stuff by employed folks and the other half of the class thought it was doing a good deed by shopping and buying there as the employees were all recovering alcoholics and people with diminished mental and physical capacity and they earned money with the humble job.
Fast forward 29 years and I am about to retire when I get ordered to attend a mandatory "sensitivity" three day training course! Sure enough 12 of us are in the "class" and the instructors are "exploring" moral dilemmas.
Asked for anything "on my mind" morally I pose the same question I had asked my academy mates 29 years earlier "should employed people shop at thrift stores or are they only for the unemployed and downtrodden"?
Well this time instead of a 50/50 split it was 90/10 in favor of everyone should shop at and support their local thrift type stores.
I see no reason for you to be hesitant about buying from thrift type shops.
It is my understanding that the monies raised therein most often goes to good and or charitable causes plus the jobs for the less fortunate.
Enjoy your "Luau shirt"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son's girlfriend who has a masters degree in something to do with industrial technology buys clothes at thrift stores. I've advised him to hang on to her. She is smart and mechanically adept and seems to not go for shiny stuff. Personally I don't see a thing wrong with buying used clothing from thrift stores. I still wear a denim coat bought used about 35 years ago. It is sort of ragged but still useful when doing dirty work like running a chain saw or raising hoop nets in cold weather.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aliens say keep her.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only reason I go in there is to buy blankets for the dogs to sleep on in the kennel. Sometimes I might find a good used book to read but for some reason I never look at clothing items.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve never been in one, but I buy used Wrangler blue jean shirts for welding on eBay. I get them real cheap sometimes.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I always say I'm going to shop there, but never do.

Probably a mistake, could be be fun.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
My wife has worked for Goodwill for over 30 years. It is perfectly acceptable for people with a regular income to shop there. The stores are just a small part of the organization. Their main focus is on helping train people with disabilities and down-on-their-luck people. Much goes on behind the scenes. The stores, while they do offer good clothing for poorer people, are mainly used to fund their mission. It doesn't matter who buys the clothes, just that the money helps fund their programs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't go out of my way to hit them, but if I'm in the area, I'll swing in if I've got time. Scored some really nice Cabela's shirts and stuff a few times. Always worth the stop.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I shop the Goodwill stores often.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife and I go to goodwill all the time!

When I was a superintendent for Muskegon Construction we did a regional office for goodwill. It was the office and a training center. They had some special needs people there, some down on there luck people, and I believe, some people who just got out of jail, working there. I was really impressed.

Go to shopgoodwill.com sometime. That is where the expensive items are! It is kind of like Ebay, as far as they you have to bid on the item.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I'm in that area I hit a Goodwill store occasionally. Never know what you'll find but whatever it is you can get it cheap. And it's all for a good cause. Sometimes the prices are so good I have to force myself to not buy stuff I don't need or don't really want.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've bought lots of stuff from Goodwill.
I've also donated lots of stuff to Goodwill.
Also the Salvation Army store as well, although Goodwill seems to have more and nicer stuff.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I get almost all of my shirts at thrift stores. $4 will often get a $30 shirt that's almost new. The Mormon church has one here that seems to always have better shirts than Goodwill. I guess the Mormons donate newer stuff.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was grateful for them and the Salvation Army when I had to get rid of hundreds of pounds of stuff when mom moved and I had to clean out the house. The local homeless shelter, Habitat for Humanity, Salvation Army, Christian Thrift Store are all better places to donate to because things stay locally and they are non-profit organizations. While I applaud hiring the people at Goodwill, it miffs me some that the Goodwill owners are multi millionaires.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my wife just started to work for a church owned thrift store . people donate some real nice things .I am taking her lunch on Monday and going to look around

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We do. A $2 shirt wears the same as a $50 shirt.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
my wife does a lot of shopping at the thrift stores, i rarely go in except to hit the used book racks.
they are favorites of the "mexicanos."
i have seen multiple times a bunch of bambino's running all over the store to add to a pile pitched dead center in an aisle.
Few times i have seen the mamacita's walk out right past the cash registers without paying.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A few years ago, I was helping a family friend clean out her house when she put it on the market. Took a pickup load to Goodwill. Among her late husband's stuff were about a dozen pricey dress shirts, most still with the tags. An elderly black man approached the truck and timidly said he'd sure like to have one. Told him to hold out his arms, and handed him the whole bunch. The old guy's smile and gratitude were priceless. Sorry 'bout that, Goodwill!

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (Ackman, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17 invisible), 1,754 guests, and 959 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.