Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A lot of ordinary people/wage earners have been paying for a lot of years for our uneven trade situation with China, and there wasn’t much of a hand up there.

My parents farmed, and I really do feel for farmers in the current environment- it’s pretty tough out there. On the other hand, it has always bothered me a bit to see ordinary people paying taxes to ensure the profitability of millionaires - which most farmers are. At the same time, are very few professions that pay a lower effective rate of taxes than farmers.

GB1

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Trump wanting another 16 Billion farm bill bail-out again this year, that's about $500 per taxpayer each year... on top of the cost of the consumer having to pay for the tariffs on purchases. The [bleep] doesn't even understand the basics.

Phil

You're an idiot.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
And a commie liar, and may not even be smart enough to be aware of it, Oden.

Its unreal, they get all they know from cnn and nbc and consider themselvs geniuses because they got a degree from podunk u.

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/24/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
A millionaire on paper does not necessarily make you rich. The land and equipment are necessary to farm. The equipment is part of the retirement. But I guess everybody thinks farmers are supposed to work till death so they don’t need retirement. If sum of you guys think it’s so easy just round up about 5 million and give it a go. Ed k

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I have been in central CA my whole life, farmers always cry poor, but I have been to many of their spreads..usually to pour nice outside kitchens and patios.

How are they supposed to live...in your opinion?

I swear...you wont find another profession where success is so begrudged.

Support a farmers market.

Jim, there are a lot of these city folks who expect a farmer to look like Fred Ziffle, the neighbor that had the pet pig on The old TV show, Green Acres. He's supposed to wear a pair of faded overalls, a plaid shirt, a straw hat, and drive around in a 1949 model truck. They don't understand that a farmer can actually live in a nice house, dress as good as his city cousin, and afford to drive a new truck.

Years ago, a non farmer neighbor of mine complained that it wasn't "fair" that I had a farm to deer hunt on, and he didn't have a place he could hunt. This was my reply.......For years, I've worked two jobs to help pay for my farm, I've worked 18 hour days, weekends and holidays, and done without many things that I would have liked to have. Meanwhile, you own a boat and go to the lake all the time, you own an old restored car and like to be seen driving it, you have a Harley........you made a choice to buy these things instead of a place where you could go hunting, so don't be complaining to me...you made your choice, and I made mine.

It all boils down to jealousy in a lot of cases, as the non-farmers have a mindset that the farmer is getting rich, because he has all that land and equipment.

They don't have a clue.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
The farm subsidy portion of the farm bill is a pittance.

https://www.fb.org/market-intel/congressional-budget-office-updates-farm-bill-math

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JP_Lucas
I'd rather my taxes go to bail out a farmer than an auto company selling high priced pieces of crap that isn't even made in our country.

Or go to communists teacher unions . . .

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Before I retired I was on my fourth new pickup. The cost for me to drive anew pickup was half a percent of my out of pocket expenses for a year. Was it necessary? Maybe not but after 40 years of labor I was treating myself. I’m guessing most wage earners spend a way higher percent of their income on vehicles. Ed k

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Jim, there are a lot of these city folks who expect a farmer to look like Fred Ziffle, the neighbor that had the pet pig on The old TV show, Green Acres. He's supposed to wear a pair of faded overalls, a plaid shirt, a straw hat, and drive around in a 1949 model truck. They don't understand that a farmer can actually live in a nice house, dress as good as his city cousin, and afford to drive a new truck.
Well then they shouldn't be bitchin about how poor they are all the time and getting govt. handouts. I've worked my ass off and can't afford the luxuries I see alot of farmers around here have. I work in the gun business and the gun business is hurting since Trump took office but we ain't in line for any bailouts.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I dont know how it is in other places, but the "subsidy" we receive is in the form of Crop Insurance. An expensive "risk management" tool designed so the banks and others get their money first if there is a disaster.

Yes, there are some of these other payments like the subject of the OP. But they are few and far between....and really dont amount to much....like even covering the interest rate hike.

Crop insurance is very expensive. The farmer has to pay the premium.

If you use it, it becomes more expensive and you receive less coverage.

If you recrop it gets worse yet.

Some people may not know that you are required by most banks to carry crop insurance if you have a mortgage on your place.

You have to carry it to qualify for disaster assistance....sort of like hurricane or flood payments.

The crop insurance system is designed to make you grow what the govt wants. The chemical salesmen tailor their wares to this system...machinery dealers too.

Oh, and dont forget the banks.

The system works really well if you fallow your land too. In other words, only produce half your acres per year.

Its interesting, but the "subsidy" actually is a great big barrier to farm profitability. Some are forced to take it, others do it for the risk management.

You grow what the govt wants if you take their money. You will just barely break even. Your money will flow into the hands of others. You will farm for production, not profit.

Food and commodities are strategic.

Piss on em. The more you accept this "help" the more you end up relying on the bastards.

I began my outlaw farmer journey four or five years ago after attending a conference with Gabe Brown.

I am MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Well then they shouldn't be bitchin about how poor they are all the time and getting govt. handouts. I've worked my ass off and can't afford the luxuries I see alot of farmers around here have. I work in the gun business and the gun business is hurting since Trump took office but we ain't in line for any bailouts.

That’s political. Dumbazz

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Maybe you need to change businesses then. Buy you a farm and you can get rich too.....lol.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I know a guy who made a small fortune in farming in just a few years.

Of course, he started out with a large fortune.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Maybe you need to change businesses then. Buy you a farm and you can get rich too.....lol.
Maybe a farmer needs to get the fugg out of farming if he can't make a go of it without govt. help. Fuggin "conservatives" here are always against gov't. handouts unless it's the right people getting them. Then it's OK.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Kiss my ass you little bich. Come on up and I'll help you. It'll be alot easier for you after I knock your teeth out. Always outdoors my ass.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Awwwwwww Sheeeeeet..

What parking lot you two tough guys gonna meet?

Make it a 24HCF spectacle.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Awwwwwww Sheeeeeet..

What parking lot you two tough guys gonna meet?

Make it a 24HCF spectacle.
I'd rather it be somewhere private where nobody will step in.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
The fire should carry a Trigger Warning.

Like a liability waiver or something.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Trump wanting another 16 Billion farm bill bail-out again this year, that's about $500 per taxpayer each year... on top of the cost of the consumer having to pay for the tariffs on purchases. The [bleep] doesn't even understand the basics.

Phil

China will pay for that! I heard....

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,908 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.