Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Timbertech decking and fascia . Pressure treated framing. Fortress Railing.

This.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Depends on where you live and the climate.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I’m in the same boat. Small deck job coming up and I’m about done with cedar.

Thinking synthetic or hardwood decking over PT frame with bolt down iron rail. Been looking at cumaru decking from Advantage lumber. Sure looks nice.

https://www.advantagelumber.com/cumaru_decking.htm

Need to look for some reviews.

Fantastic stuff... unusual smell when cutting, but everything you could ask in decking. Well, except for predrilling...

I’d go grooved and hidden fasteners.

You ever do business with Advantage lumber? Buying sight unseen over the phone gives me pause.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by Nebraska
We have a 16'x20' cedar deck that's ready for replacement. I'm less than impressed with how the cedar held up and want to stick with wood to keep the cost down so I'm leaning towards switching to pressure treated lumber this time. If anyone has experience with both I'd like to hear your thoughts on which one you preferred and why.....thank you!

Why were you less than impressed with cedar? Cedar is on of the best natural wood materials there is for a deck. The mistake that so many folks make with cedar is, they try to stain and or coat it to make it look like furniture... Cedar - presuming it is actual cedar - is not meant to be stained or sealed for outdoor use - ever see anyone stain and seal a cedar split-rail fence? The best thing anyone can do with cedar is install it with coated nails (screws are obviously better), and just let it turn the beautiful silver-gray color it does naturally.

I think it is a beautiful deck material that should easily last a lifetime. If you want a deck with a stained finish on it, the price just goes up exponentially, an the work never ends.

Just my 2-cents.

[EDIT] If price isn't an issue then a man-made material can be a good choice.

Like Sam Houston, I will vote for what is best for ME in 2020.
Texans read their Bibles to find what they want it to say, and are blind to what it actually says...
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I have a cedar deck, and in the near future, it will be getting replaced with Trex. My house is 5 years old as of last month, and the cedar while not rotting, it is dried and cracked all to hell, which is typical of cedar.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I’m in the same boat. Small deck job coming up and I’m about done with cedar.

Thinking synthetic or hardwood decking over PT frame with bolt down iron rail. Been looking at cumaru decking from Advantage lumber. Sure looks nice.

https://www.advantagelumber.com/cumaru_decking.htm

Need to look for some reviews.

Fantastic stuff... unusual smell when cutting, but everything you could ask in decking. Well, except for predrilling...

I’d go grooved and hidden fasteners.

You ever do business with Advantage lumber? Buying sight unseen over the phone gives me pause.

We have a higher end customer at work that is considering replacing his deck. I'll pass this info on to my boss and the customer, maybe we'll take a trip into Buffalo and check it out.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
If it’s g round level or can be just poor concrete and relax. Ed k

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I haven’t read the entire thread but have you considered Trex?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
What ever the synthetic glue board that is indestructible and is formed to look like lumber.

Use that.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Cedar... but don't ever paint it! It will then rot.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mahogany. Wears like steel. No rot.

Our home in Pa.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Will need to replace current rear deck in a year or three. Will be Trex decking with highest retention Pressure Treat I can secure for each component. If I feel motivated, might saw the structural pieces out of white oak. But, that gets to be like work as well...

Around here, the lower level retention PT is like dipping the wood in green Kool-aid. About useless...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
The toughest environment ever, could be flatbed and lowboy trailer decking. Lowboy decks really get a beating, dozer tracks doing what they do. Apitong is kind of the industry standard for re-decking trailers, sure is pretty wood, silvers beautifully in a couple years. I don't think it is terribly expensive, but you could go to a commercial trailer website and probably get a real world price. I have no idea how suitable it would be for residential service, but with no treatment whatsoever, weather checking is minimal, slivering seems minimal, warping non existent. Countersunk bolt heads collect water and mud and they do not rot or soften. I have been called many things however, carpenter ain't one of 'em.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
PT posts and framing, cedar hand rail, trex decking, this is about 15 years old..
[Linked Image]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have trex decking. Granted, it is on my semi-covered porch, but it has been out there for almost 22 years in the rain, snow, 100 degrees to minus 20. Performance has been perfect - no issues at all. No slivers, no warping, no splitting, no staining or seal necessary. But the joists underneath the trex are rotting, so when I redo my deck in a few years, I plan to save the trex and reuse it but replace the joists with pressure treated.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Quick_Karl
Originally Posted by Nebraska
We have a 16'x20' cedar deck that's ready for replacement. I'm less than impressed with how the cedar held up and want to stick with wood to keep the cost down so I'm leaning towards switching to pressure treated lumber this time. If anyone has experience with both I'd like to hear your thoughts on which one you preferred and why.....thank you!

Why were you less than impressed with cedar? Cedar is on of the best natural wood materials there is for a deck. The mistake that so many folks make with cedar is, they try to stain and or coat it to make it look like furniture... Cedar - presuming it is actual cedar - is not meant to be stained or sealed for outdoor use - ever see anyone stain and seal a cedar split-rail fence? The best thing anyone can do with cedar is install it with coated nails (screws are obviously better), and just let it turn the beautiful silver-gray color it does naturally.

I think it is a beautiful deck material that should easily last a lifetime. If you want a deck with a stained finish on it, the price just goes up exponentially, an the work never ends.

Just my 2-cents.

[EDIT] If price isn't an issue then a man-made material can be a good choice.

this......bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Cedar... but don't ever paint it! It will then rot.

this is where people screw up...….bob

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My pressure treated deck is less than 10 years old and rotting everywhere. Summer project is to rebuild it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Cedar and coat it with Sikkens as directed...it will look like a piece of furniture for years.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you can fit it in your budget, Ipe is the way to go. It'll be there longer than your house.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.