24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The wife found this poor soul at the local animal shelter. He's a roughly three year old bluetick. I've been thinking about a bloodhound after our twelve year old lab passes. But this guy really tugged on our heartstrings. His previous owner got sent to prison for God only knows. The story we got was he asked his mother to take care of his dogs while he was incarcerated. Well, she didn't. And she left the two dogs outside in our northern Michigan winter tied to their doghouse. When the neighbors called animal control, they found them nearly skin and bones without food or water. The snow was so deep they couldn't even get into their doghouse anymore. Our poor boy lost part of his ear to frostbite. His older brother faired much worse and is still fighting for his life.

SOB, I wish I knew who that woman is. I'd like to tie her up outside to die.

So we brought home Tucker today. He's having some adjustments to living inside. I never thought I'd see a dog eat faster than my old chocolate lab, but Tucker can really put it away. He's got a few pounds to put on though so I can't blame him.

I'd like to train him to do search and rescue. Never done anything like this before so I hope Tucker and I both have it in us.

Attached Images
KIMG0934-1170x2080-292x519.JPG (48.83 KB, 235 downloads)
BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good for you, that dog deserves a good home (and the former owner a good thrashing). Hopefully, it's brother pulls through and finds a good home too.

My grandfather had Blueticks along with Plotts, some curs, a couple of Borzoi and mixes of each back when he ran wolves with hounds. He liked larger dogs as he claimed they could better handle the fights that occured if a wolf was cornered. Or, more importantly, get themselves out of a jam (as a pack) if the wolf was part of a pack and they came to the wolf's assistance.

Last edited by woodmaster81; 04/22/19.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The blueticks I’ve seen hunting have a cold nose second only to a bloodhound. For hunting, that can get old as it leads to long slow chases, but for search and rescue it could be just the ticket as it provides great tracking but in a dog that’s a little more athletic than a bloodhound.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty pup for sure!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Tucker!, name suits him A. Good thing to yell out the door when ya want him ta come A. Maybe the neighbors will think it's yr wife calling ya for dinner. I had a pair of blue tics for awhile, two pups! Had to get rid of one because they wanted to kill each other all the time. I kept the (red tick) ??? Cause she was just different. No good put her in the dog box instant fight. Gave her to a guy that just wanted a hound for. .??? Never heard anymore from the first guy, told him & the other what they were like. Oh well. Bill out. 🐾👣🇨🇦

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Tucker is getting along nicely now with us. He did bite our cleaning lady about a month after we got him and had to be put into quarantine for two weeks. We've been working with him on the agression and resource guarding and he is much better now. Hes very sweet with our family members but no way a stranger is coming into our house with Tucker.

He's 67 pounds now and in great shape. We walk him about 4 miles a day. Ive lost 20 pounds since we got him due to the exercise and I feel great too.

He's a character. Barks or howls pretty much all the time on car rides. Loves water and will get in our bath tub and stare at the faucet until we turn the water on and he gets a drink.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"He's 67 pounds now and in great shape. We walk him about 4 miles a day. Ive lost 20 pounds since we got him due to the exercise and I feel great too. "

Dogs are good for us.

Glad you & yours are doing well.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.