Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Stunning. You've done a great job......I'm envious.

GB1

B
bt8897 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 1911a1
320$ for that stock blank was one heck of a bargain!

What sealer and finish are you using? Also I take it you are wet sanding the finish in to fill the pores ?

I'm asking because I've just finished sealing a stock I'm working on and have applied one coat of oil. I'm considering wet sanding myself.

I used Dalys Ship n Shore to seal the stock and Im using Timberlux to finish. I used to use Dalys for both but the one stock I finished with Timberlux seemed to be a little easier to use than Dalys Teak oil. And yes I will be sanding in the finish

B
bt8897 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
So I have a couple of coats of finish sanded in, looks like its only going to take a couple more-
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beautiful rifle. Checkered bolt would be a nice accent but it doesn't improve functioning if you palm the bolt. Who did the stock duplication?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sweet rifle

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Looking good!

“Factio democratica delenda est"
B
bt8897 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the compliments. I have completely finished the stock, second time I have used Timberluxe and am pretty happy with the results. I have rough shaped the bottom metal, need to do the final polishing before rust bluing. I am a little curious about a French Grey finish, anyone have any experience with it? Does it provide much rust protection?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That’s a pretty stock!

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Looks amazing...well done. Who is going to do the checkering for you or will you do it yourself?

Fwiw I wouldn't checker the bolt and I would go pretty sparse on the stock checkering. Less is more imho. French gray looks great... it so does a well used and aged standard rust blue. Can’t go wrong imho

GOD Bless America
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not sure if it is the same but on a couple of my shotguns I have a matte nickle coating that some call french grey. It provided good corrosion prevention but is not that durable and once worn then corrosion is an issue. I have to polish with Flitz at least once or twice a season. I have also seen matte finished chrome for a similar look and if hard industrial chrome the corrosion protection is one of the best.

These are sort of faux French finishes. The original was just an acid etched bare steel. Later it was either bluing or case hardining with the color removed by acid treatment. This would give some protection but not much, much less than the nickle or chrome. If I had anything color case hardened I would want the color. Treating with casenet also produces a french grey effect as it is case hardening with out the colors. It improves wear resistance but not much better than bare steel as far as corrosion resistance.

On that rifle I think cold rust blue is the way to go as everything else is classic.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by bt8897
Thanks for the compliments. I have completely finished the stock, second time I have used Timberluxe and am pretty happy with the results. I have rough shaped the bottom metal, need to do the final polishing before rust bluing. I am a little curious about a French Grey finish, anyone have any experience with it? Does it provide much rust protection?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is one of the prettiest rifles I've seen. I used this on the receiver of my 99 Savage that had been bead blasted. I rubbed in three coats, inside and out, and it was still a bit rough. I called the company and was told to apply a few more coats till smooth, then bake at 350 for 40 minutes. It's worked like a charm.[Linked Image][Linked Image]

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
neat Savage

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
who did the stock work for you?

B
bt8897 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I had a retired gunsmith duplicate it and I finished it

B
bt8897 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well I have completed all that I can do. I rust blued all the metal and rings this weekend, now I just have to have it checkered. Grand total invested $1070. I was able to sell the original stock and bottom metal this week which helped. I will probably have another $400 in checkering but it will have to wait, my checkerer is really backed up right now. I was hoping to come in around the same weight as the original gun 6 lbs 10 oz but it came in a little heavier 7 lbs on the nose and 8 lb 1 oz with scope and rings.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by bt8897; 06/20/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If that's built on the cheap...... I'd love to see one you really sank some serious cash in on.
She's a beauty!!!

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow that turned out great !

That rust blue looks very classy, you definitely have some skills.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice! ..... That wood makes it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some nice rifles on this thread. I’m not a wood/blue guy but I’m reconsidering.

Yup.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A beauty. I bet the weight is because of the density of the wood. Seems like a lot of the highly figured wood comes from old trees that grew very slowly and are denser. This is less true for orchard trees that grow relatively fast.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (7mm_Loco, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 9 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.