Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I count my self luck that I've been reading JB's writing for many years. Check out his piece in this old Field and Stream. JB will go down in history as our generations Elmer Keith or Jack O'Connor. He is that good. Thank John for all the good years.

https://books.google.com/books?id=N..._r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd be very likely to agree with you.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kinda like his writing and also his demeanor!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
From the story:

',toward where the sun shone like a gauzed phosphorescence"

Using such fancy words like "gauzed" that this website tries to tell me it's not spelled correctly. grin

Great stuff John,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
YES , J.B. has sure helped many of us on campfire .Thank you,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like John's stories a lot. They provide a different view into his writing than the more technical pieces.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like to read the old time gunwriters because they were so opinionated. They weren't always correct but they were adamant about it! I like to read JB because he knows the subject matter better than anybody and his stuff is always factual and I take it as gospel.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well, this piece is pure literature! It tells a story of hunting, but it also tells you the 'why' of hunting by indirect methods. Crap, I'm not good enough to explain what this story does or how it does it, but this is dang good writing.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Concur on his writing and especially of his testing of optics and handloading articles. I do like seeing old magazines and remembering some of the writers and the ads. How about that Marlboro ad!? And I definitely remember those Remington shotgun ads.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hook
Well, this piece is pure literature! It tells a story of hunting, but it also tells you the 'why' of hunting by indirect methods. Crap, I'm not good enough to explain what this story does or how it does it, but this is dang good writing.

I agree. I thoroughly enjoyed reading that story.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for posting that blast from the past. JB is definitely one of the best.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WTF? Sounds like y'all are eating potato salad over him!

Those who bemoan the dearth of "stories" in current outdoor magazines should pony up for the Rifle Loony News. Plenty of excellent stories without the constraints regular publishers impose. A real bargain since you can download all the old ones as well. That woman that lets John live with her is also a good writer, btw.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, everybody!

When I started in the outdoor writing business, there was a thriving market for both hunting and fishing stories. In fact it took several years for me to sell anything BUT stories, and start selling some technical stuff as well. Being able to sell both made paying the bills a lot easier--but back then stories paid better than technical articles. Today the reverse is true, and pay for fishing writing is worse than the hunting market, the reason I pretty much quit writing about fishing, and also part of the reason we started RIFLE LOONY NEWS.

We're working right now on the book collection of the second five years of RLN, and should have it out this summer. Hard to believe it's been a decade since we put together the first issue....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Hook

Consistency is key, and John is nothing if not consistent. Understanding the whys and wherefores of hunting and being able to portray them in words so ably that you can feel the wind and smell the sage is indeed a gift.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That was JB, before he was JB, and it was really, really good. I miss the 80's and the old Field & Stream. It had advertisements of rifles and shotguns with blued steel and wooden stocks.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
You'll also notice that first couple of ads are for cigarettes and whiskey. That was known as "brown money" in the magazines back in the day when such ads were legal. When outdoor magazines lost the brown money, they lost a lot of revenue, which was one reason they started getting smaller and articles shorter. But there were other reasons as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I really miss the "old days" when magazine articles were stories about hunting and fishing, not technical "how to" stuff. I like to tinker with technicalities as much as anyone, but for me the real enjoyment is being outdoors, doing what we love as hunters and anglers and telling the stories after. thanks for the reminder, i enjoyed going through that magazine and was amazed at all the wonderful stories.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yall keep on a talkin and ya gonna give JB the bighead...... nuthin smaller'n a warshtub afit! grin

(Hey, I enjoy the articles, too.)

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
One of the first things I would read in Peterson's Hunting was J B's optics column. That was a decent magazine back in the day. John Wooters was a big draw back then.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kid0917
Kinda like his writing and also his demeanor!

Aside from his very practical writing from a vast base of knowledge, I have to say John has shown a great deal of patience on some ‘Fire threads while remaining ever civil throughout. That speaks to character which is even more important than the reason he is here.

John has forgotten more on the subject of guns, optics, and all things related than I’ll ever know, but then I’d not expect him to write an article in an anesthesia journal either 🙂. But it’s really his collegial approach here that makes his contributions so valuable to this site.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (007FJ, 1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.