Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
WTS: some used books on US military history-related topics and various "outdoor adventure" topics. ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS ZIP CODES. I try to ship the next mail day after your payment arrives.

I DON'T do PayPal, or take credit cards or online payment plans like applepay. I DO take cash, personal checks made out to me, and all money orders.

HOW TO ORDER: to reserve a book or books, put an "I'll take book(s) #s_____" as a "reply" to the ad thread. Then I'll acknowledge your order on the thread, mark the books (SPF--sold pending funds) on the ad, and PM you my "legal" (first) name and address for payment.

Please use PMs to ask questions, and make offers or comments. But a PM alone won't reserve a book (see above).

TAKE $1 OFF THE PRICE OF ANY BOOK OR BOOKS YOU ORDER AFTER THE FIRST ONE! (I get a little break on the postage for multiple book orders, so I kick a little back to you.).

US Military History Related books

1) SPF "The Minutemen: The First Fight; Myths and Realities of the American Revolution" by John R. Galvin.

2) SPF "Killing England: The Brutal Struggle for American Independence" by Bill O'Reilly.

3) "The Immortal Irishman: The Irish Revolutionary Who Became an American Hero" by Timothy Egan. Prizewinning historian's biography of Gen. Thomas Meagher, an Irish revolutionary who was "transported" to the convict colony of Tasmania by the Crown, escaped and entered the US "illegally" and became an abolitionist and the commander of the famous Irish Brigade in our Civil War. His postwar migration to Montana and subsequent murder by vigilantes while seeking to arm Montanans against the Sioux. Qualtiy PB 368 pp. new/exc. cond $6

4) "The Water Seekers" by Remi Nadeau. ("The Real Joaquin Murrieta;" "Ghost Towns and Mining Camps of California") Ever wonder how LA, a desert cowtown in the 19th century, got so BIG? If you've seen "Chinatown", the Jack Nicholson movie, you've had a glimpse of what it took, but here's the whole story: the Owens Valley War, The Colorado River Fight, and all the "deals".... Quality PB 290 pp new cond illus w/historic b/w photos, map. $6

5) SPF "The Bloody White Baron" by James Palmer.

6) SPF "Citizen Soldier: A Life of Harry S. Truman" by Aida D. Donald.

7) SPF "Skis Against The Atom" by Knut Haukelid.

8) SPF "The Conquerors: Roosevelt, Truman, and the Destruction of Hitler's Germany, 1941-45" by Michael Beschloss.

9) "The Secret Rescue: An Untold Story of American Nurses and Medics Behind Nazi Lines" by Cate Lineberg. "Smithsonian" and "National Geographic" editor's research and history of Allied personnel trapped in Nazi-controlled Albania in WWII--shot-down aircrew, nurses, and medics. Their dramatic rescue by US OSS and British SOE special forces and Albanian guerillas by sea and air. Quality PB 313 pp. illus w/b/w photos,maps, and lists of the rescued personnel. $6

10) SPF "Secret War" by Billy G. Webb.

11) SPF "American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in US Military History" by Chris Kyle.

Military Hardware

12) SPF "The M-2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle" by Stephen Zaloga.

13) SPF "The Dreadnaughts" by David Howarth.

14) SPF "Janes' Pocket Book of Major Warships" by Capt. John Moore, RN.

Various Outdoor "Adventures"

15) "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. Bryson's classic account of a 2100 mile walk on the Appalachian Trail in the 1970s, Humorous, but revealing of the people, places, and critters he meets. A walker's book! Trade PB 275 pp. exc. cond. illus w/maps. $5

16) "Amazing Whitetails" by Mike Biggs. NA Hunting Club's volume on hunting for braggin' size whitetails. Full of beautiful color photos of them at every stage of their development from spots to harem emperors! Text focuses on mature whitetail buck behavior. "Antler Alley" section illustrates antler forms and some HUGE bucks, mainly alive and on the hoof in the woods. HB 192 pp. 8 1/2x11" format, near new cond. illus w/color photos, scoring charts. $6

17) "The Lost River: A Memoir of Life, Death, and Transformation on Wild Water" by Richard Bangs. Pioneer "adventure tourism" promoter and leader's two periods of adventure in Ethiopia, running wld rivers among wild animals and people, amid a Cold War "proxy war" in the 1970s, flight from political chaos and tyranny, then a return in our own times to some of the same dangers and threats, leading to the development of a an "extreme adventure tourism" industry. Quality PB 280 pp new/exc. cond. illus w/b/w photos $6

18) "Cry of the Kalahari: An American Couple's Seven Years in Africa's Last Great Wilderness" by Mark and Della Owens. Life in a waterless, unpeopled desert filled with life: no hunting (except by the natives, human and other, but filled with wild animals, some previously unstudied. A dangerous, glorious life. Quality PB exc. cond. w/some cover wear. 347 pp. many b/w animal photos, maps. $5

19) "Dirt Work: An Education in the Woods" by Christine Byl. Byl entered the outdoor life as a seasonal trail maintenance worker for the NPS, then became so involved in the outdoors that she spent decades as an NPS "traildog" full time. She now lives and works in AK running a small trail management and planning consultancy. Real work, real nature, real people. HB 240 pp. new cond. $7

20) "Ranger Confidential: Living, Working, and Dying in the National Parks" by Andrea Lankford. Memoir of 12 years as an NPS ranger in national parks like Denali, Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, Cape Hatteras, and others. Meet "THE PUBLIC": suicidal "base jumpers," real suicides, and some pretty sane folks, too. Quality PB 252 pp. exc. cond. $6

21) "Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance" by Stephen Herrero. Detailed manual on why grizzly and black bears attack, how, and what can be done to prevent attacks and survive them. "THE Book on Bear Attacks."
PB 290 pp. exc. cond, illus w/b/w photos, diagrams, charts, and tables. $7

22) "Mark of the Grizzly: True Stories of Recent Bear Attacks and the Hard Lessons Learned" by Scott McMillion. Well written and dramatized narratives of bear attacks and assessments of what worked and what didn't.(Development of an armored "bear suit" failed....). Quality PB 265 pp. exc/new cond. illus w/b/w photos. $6

23) "Cougar Attacks: Encounters of the Worst Kind" by Nancy Etling. Cougars attack rarely, but when they do the result is usually horrific. A history of attacks in the US and elsewhere, then descriptions of more recent attacks by state and province and what worked to repel some of the attackers. PB 270 pp new cond. w/new "Intro" and "Foreword." Includes detailed tables of historical and recent attacks and a separate section for o
those that were fatal. $7

Thanks for reading my long post! DON'T FORGET to take $1 off each book you order after the first one.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

Remembering M/Sgts. John Morales and Robert Armstrong "Uncle Bob"
USMC WWII and Korea

Last edited by Mesa; 05/27/19. Reason: SHOW SOLD ITEMS

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ll take numbers 6,7.8, and 10.

PM coming your way

Thanks for the offering.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I'll take number 11
Thank you

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books #s 6.6.8.and 10 SPF to slowmover12

Book #11 SPF to Nick87

Thanks for buying, guys! Happy Memorial Day to you both! PMs on the way.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Send a total.
Got your address

IC B2

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books #s 1, 2, 5, 12, 13, and 14 SPF to 257 X 50.

Thanks for buying again! PM on the way.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
BTT All pms answered.

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
tag

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll take 17 and 18.

PM incoming

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
3, 15 and 20 .

IC B3

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books #s 17 and 18 SPF to Lonny

Books #s 3. 15. and 20 SPF to boxermachine

Thanks for buying! PMs answered in a minute.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
I wish I was here earlier... I'll take #4.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Book #4 SPF to BALLISTIK

Thanks for buying! PM on the way.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
632 members (12344mag, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,973 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.