Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I read a lot of old historical accounts of life back in the mountain man days and the written diaries of the early settlers along with native American history in sometimes violent settling of the western lands of the future USA.

In a few of the tomes I've read there has been a passing mention of a species of mule deer that was about a third bigger than the size of current day mule deer and double the size of a whitetail. I've also read Indian legends of massive mule deer that were nearly as big as a mature elk.

I'm currently reading the actual diary of Lewis and Clark. Clark mentions the giant mule deer. 8' tall including horns.

Legend or fact?

BP-B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
They were probably not hunted as hard as they currently are. A mature Northern Mule Deer can get pretty large if left unmolested, I seriously doubt they were shot out or exist out there although ScenarShooter and JGRaider and a few others here are trying very hard to disprove that.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would give Lewis & Clark the benefit of any doubt. The big ones are the first to go...and the gene pool is diminished.

An older mule deer buck with 200" of high rack above his ears is an incredibly impressive animal. I don't know how tall they can get at horn height, but they are to me, an awesome critter.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Morewood;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust all is well in your world.

While I am far from anything resembling an expert on mulies, they've fascinated me since I saw the first ones when I moved here to BC the first time in '81.

In one of his fine books, John Barsness has a photo of a buck he killed way up the Rockies near the medicine line. It's positively huge in body, way, way bigger than anything I've seen on the hoof in BC, Alberta or Saskatchewan in the last nearly 40 years.

There are, in my experience anyway, quite a bit of difference in both body and antler size even regionally out here, for instance on the drier west side of the valley where we live, a first rack mulie would average 10-15lbs less carcass weight than ones taken from the timber on the wetter east side.

Anyone I've known who killed a really big bodied mulie invariably took it on the east side - or a couple valleys west where it's wetter again.

Just a few random thoughts this morning on your query and not much more. I am hopeful that some true experts chime in this morning - as mentioned Scenar hunts the big prairie strain mulies and JG chases some big bodied desert strains.

All the best to you as we head into warmer weather.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 05/28/19. Reason: added for clarity - hopefully

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Don't kid yourself, there are still big deer out there. I shot this one on the way to the range...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Morewood
I'm currently reading the actual diary of Lewis and Clark. Clark mentions the giant mule deer. 8' tall including horns.

Legend or fact?

FACT: I have NEVER seen a deer with horns. Antlers YES, horns NO.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
yeah, we leave the more technical aspects to the educated...

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Holy cow! That is a TOAD, Shrapnel. Congratulations! I hope you had that big boy mounted.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Owl

Legend or fact?

You are of course absolutely correct. Thank you for your valuable contribution.

sheesh

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Morewood,

Would appreciate the date of that Lewis & Clark notation. I have read the Journals a few times for mule deer references, and cannot recall running across that.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Owl

Legend or fact?

You are of course absolutely correct. Thank you for your valuable contribution.

sheesh

Me and everyone in my circles call so horns too, guess we're just a buncha country bumpkins.... Grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Back in the early 80s a friend shot a monster bodied Mule Deer. Its head was leaning against the front of the 8' bed pickup it was in and it's tail end was resting against the tailgate. People who initially saw it thought it was an elk even though the antlers/horns weren't much. It was over 9 years old and shot in the Rocky Mountain Front of MT. It took two strong guys to move it. I have never seen one with a bigger body.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey, what is wrong with you guys?

I know what's wrong with the local population around here...mostly genetic...:)

Defend the Constitution
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Judman

Me and everyone in my circles call so horns too, guess we're just a buncha country bumpkins.... Grin

Me and my buds do too Jud. smile

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Johnny, out West we only count one side of the horns, too. Probably because counting past 5 would require a diploma. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Don't kid yourself, there are still big deer out there. I shot this one on the way to the range...

[Linked Image]

What did he dress at?

The way life should be.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Johnny, out West we only count one side of the horns, too. Probably because counting past 5 would require a diploma. 😎

Is that why WT are counted different than MD and BT? Those eastern boys are edjumukated and us western boys are a bunch of rubes? Ha!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Beaver10

🤣🤣that’s why we call 6 point elk, 4 point with doubles!!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Local legend, in parts of NM, claim that the truly old/mature/smart mule deer have a "stone in their heart". I've talked to locals, who swear, they've cut open the heart....and found the stone, inside! Then they saved the stone, and threw the horns away!

Yes.....horns. Anything that grows out of the head, is a horn. Antlers are for making chandeliers and for doggie chew toys!

Western count = 1 side.

Eastern count = both sides.

Texan count = what they would of been next year!

We all learn things differently, just depends where your from.....and the people that taught you!

Andy3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Texan count!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
278 members (007FJ, 160user, 222Sako, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,812
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.