-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

A 96-year-old World War II veteran rose from his wheelchair at the the U.S. Women’s National Team game against Mexico on Sunday, and played a stirring rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner on his harmonica.

Pete DuPre’, also known as “Harmonica Pete,” wore a WWII veteran hat and Team USA soccer shirt. After playing the national anthem, DuPre’ smiled and waved to the crowd at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey, before returning to his wheelchair.

“The audience grew respectably silent throughout the majority of the expertly carried-out song, but were unable to contain their cheers as the last bars played,” People magazine reported.

According to a statement from the USWNT via NJ.com, “During WWII, DuPré served as a medic in the 114th General Hospital Unit in Kidderminster, England. At age 17, both of his parents had already died, making him the acting patriarch of a five-person family.

“Within a year, Pete had enlisted in the Army serving three years overseas during which time he treated wounded servicemen from all areas of Europe.”

The U.S. women will play their first World Cup game on June 11th when they take on Thailand in Reims, France.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/20...wii-vet-plays-national-anthem-harmonica/

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." **Benjamin Franklin**
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
God bless that guy....... cool smile

Great job Pete!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Something very haunting about a lonesome harmonica. Man....that will well you up won't it? Army Medic. Three years over seas. Parentless at 17. Good Lord Ihope I never forget how I have been sheltered.

God bless those guys.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bent, but not broken. Rendered perfectly and most moving.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/28/19.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It was absolutely perfect!

May god bless this great warrior with many more years.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you very much for posting that. I saw a very short clip of it on TV but not the entire thing. Also made me realize all the WW2 vets I grew up around and was raised by are all gone now. My father, uncles, teachers, scoutmasters, etc. etc....... They really were the "greatest generation" that I've ever known. God bless 'em all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes sir !
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Something very haunting about a lonesome harmonica. Man....that will well you up won't it? Army Medic. Three years over seas. Parentless at 17. Good Lord Ihope I never forget how I have been sheltered.

God bless those guys.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Heard about this today on the radio news coming home from Potlandia...

They played a short part of his playing...

couldn't wait to get home and hear it...

and a fellow Army Medic.... what's not to love...

way to go Pete!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

350 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 29 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.