Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Reba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a gun stock with a high gloss finish.

What would be the best way to make it less shiny?

Thanks

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rottenstone and oil on a felt pad (or wad of felt) and elbow grease.

When you do it avoid the temptation to do it in small areas. Make your strokes long and overlapping. It will take longer to see progress but you will not need to spend the rest of your life trying to blend the areas together.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

0000 steel wool or 3M pad (black).

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good suggestion by Sitka, but there is one other option. Brownell's sells a Satin spray on finish that is really nice. A buddy who owns a gun shop showed me a couple rifles his stockmaker did with this finish and it is very nice and puts down a perfect satin finish with just a couple coats on raw wood. I'm going to order a couple cans this week and give them a try on some stocks I'm working on at the moment...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Adding finish when all that is needed is a good rundown does not seem like a good idea...

Satin finishes generally use silica to roughen the surface which weakens it. It also reduces water resistance. One should always avoid satin finishes for those reasons. It is too easy to make a test board...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Steel wool often leaves pieces of steel embedded in the finish to rust later and create freckles.

The maroon 3M pads are what you want rather than the coarser black ones. They will work just fine. Rottenstone is old school and messier, but just as effective.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 05/28/19. Reason: Frigging autocorrect!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Anyone ever used Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen & Conditioner?

Description:

Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen & Conditioner is the perfect complement to a Tru-Oil finished stock or any stock that that could use a pick me up. Stock Sheen & Conditioner leaves a traditional satin finish and can clean, beautify and polish your old stock. Removes surface imperfections and gives your stock a smooth, hand-rubbed finish. Also protects against weather and handling.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have tried BC Stock Sheen and was not overly impressed with it, I use Renaissance Wax applied with a maroon 3M Scotch Brite pad and buffed off with a micro fiber cloth.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks gunswizard.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Anyone ever used Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen & Conditioner?

Description:

Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen & Conditioner is the perfect complement to a Tru-Oil finished stock or any stock that that could use a pick me up. Stock Sheen & Conditioner leaves a traditional satin finish and can clean, beautify and polish your old stock. Removes surface imperfections and gives your stock a smooth, hand-rubbed finish. Also protects against weather and handling.

Junk

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The finest grade of 3M pad is the light grey colored one, is it not? At least it was the last time I bought any a few years ago and screwed up and bought two whole cases of them- I haven't had to delve into the world of 3M pads since then.

As described above, after knocking the gloss off a finish, old or new, I too use a good furniture paste wax to bring up a nice soft luster. Renn wax is darned good, but so are others, and it ain't rocket science. Just don't use automotive waxes. Go ahead and use a microfiber cloth if you feel you must, but an old soft hunk of flannel will do as well.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
The finest grade of 3M pad is the light grey colored one, is it not? At least it was the last time I bought any a few years ago and screwed up and bought two whole cases of them- I haven't had to delve into the world of 3M pads since then.

As described above, after knocking the gloss off a finish, old or new, I too use a good furniture paste wax to bring up a nice soft luster. Renn wax is darned good, but so are others, and it ain't rocket science. Just don't use automotive waxes. Go ahead and use a microfiber cloth if you feel you must, but an old soft hunk of flannel will do as well.

For "eggshell" maroon seems about right... The finer stuff will bring you to a beautiful and shiny surface.

Reba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

When you do it avoid the temptation to do it in small areas. Make your strokes long and overlapping. It will take longer to see progress but you will not need to spend the rest of your life trying to blend the areas together.

Rottenstone was some place in the back of my little pea brain.

Linseed oil?

Soft, medium or hard felt pad?

Thanks

Last edited by Reba; 05/28/19.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Reba

Rottenstone was some place in the back of my little pea brain.

Linseed oil?

Soft, medium or hard felt pad?

Thanks

Linseed oil is fine, or any other, really.

Pad can be anything of felt. I used to use an old chamois shirt piece to do it and it works fine. A chalk eraser is also good and gives a better grip. And since rottenstone is almost chalk you do not even have to worry about cleaning the old chalk out!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Brownells sells a series of pre-mixed rubbing compounds for achieving whatever level of matte you want. I normally use 3F after my last coat of Tru-oil for a satin finish.

Reba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kp321
Brownells sells a series of pre-mixed rubbing compounds for achieving whatever level of matte you want. I normally use 3F after my last coat of Tru-oil for a satin finish.

I happen to have some Triple "F" stock rubbing compound from Brownells.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Triple F from Brownell's is a bit finer than rottenstone in use and it is really good at bringing up a deep shine. It does not produce what I call "eggshell" by itself as it is a bit too fine. "Eggshell" has been the goal for most high-end stockmakers, but it does not mean the same thing to everyone....

Reba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ordered some Rottenstone.

Thanks

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rottenstone is usually available at better hardware and paint stores and dirt cheap. Ungraded stuff is even cheaper and sold as pool filter media.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Steel wool often leaves pieces of steel embedded in the finish to rust later and create freckles.

The maroon 3M pads are what you want rather than the coarser black ones. They will work just fine. Rottenstone is old school and messier, but just as effective.

Nope. 0000 will not leave anything embedded in the finish of something that is already glossy. Wipe it down, Sitka.

Black pad is Ultra Fine, Red is Very Fine.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
290 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 44 invisible), 2,159 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,627
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.