Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My wife won a Ruger American rifle in 17HMR. She likes the Vortex Crossfire scopes ,anyway we mounted the scope and went to sight it in ,but ran out of left adjustment. If she holds on the 3 slash (windage) the right hand in the crosshairs she'll hit the bulls eye. There is no more moving the crosshairs to the left. So my question is what to do?
Thanks for all answers

BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have some one else shoot it to make sure it is an actual sighting issue and not a mounting issue or paralax. Then try a different scope. If it adjusts normally send it to Vortex to get it fixed. If not, it is most likely the mount on the rifle and Ruger will take care of you.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Just curious what rings are you using? Are they adjustable horizontally?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a mounting issue. Are the mounting holes aligned with the receiver? Are the bases correctly attached to the rings? Everything look straight without scope installed?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Leupold bases and rings with windage adjustments if they make them or Burris signature Zee rings with the off set inserts. I have a Ruger 10-22. It’s the only Ruger I’ve ever owned, so I may be speaking out of turn.

I used the Burris offset inserts on a Savage 99-358. The windage adjustment ran out on it also, offset inserts took care of it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Everything seems to line up right,and looks straight. They are Weaver rings. I ordered a set of the Burris rings. Thanks guys

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Has the scope been zeroed before on another rifle? If so, un-mount it, put it up to a mirror and return it to factory zero. Re-mount it.

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Follow jac3ks advise and use a mirror to center the scopes adjustments, then remount the scope, then boresight the rifle and see where the scope is pointing. That will tell you if you have a mount problem or a scope problem.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you guys ,its a new scope. I never heard off the mirror thing ,but I did take the scope off and zeroed the crosshairs in the mirror(pretty slick) . I'll remount and bore sight tomorrow. once again thanks for all the help

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Buy a Leupold 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The mirror trick is a new one on me, too. I always assumed (yeah, I know what happens when you assume something) that the cross-hairs were centered (zeroed) when you had the same amount of adjustment (clicks) to move the cross-hairs left and right or up and down.

I got a new to me scope last week and haven't mounted it on a rifle, yet. I gotta go give this a try.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Re: The mirror trick. Mule Deer (Barsness) points out that this depends on the front of the scope houlsing being perfectly perpendicular to the tube, and this is not always the case.

Counting turns or clicks is another good way to center a scope.

A method I have seen mentioned here on the 'Fire, but I don't recall by who, is to put the scope in a pair of smooth "V" blocks. You then adjust until the center of the reticle stays centered (does not travel in a small circle) as the scope is spun in the "V" blocks. This sounds like the most "optically centered" to me, but I don't have enough knowledge of scope construction to say.

I suspect that any of the three methods gets you "close enough."

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I find it funny that some think centering the crosshair is going to help in any way help with the problem of running out of adjustment.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
rick,

It won't, but it helps determine if the problem is in the scope, mounts or rifle.

Often scopes get blamed for running out of adjustment, when the most common problem these days is in the mounts (or how it was mounted), and sometimes in the rifle itself.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by rickt300
I find it funny that some think centering the crosshair is going to help in any way help with the problem of running out of adjustment.

I said the same thing in the optics forum and the attack was on. When running out of scope adjustment some seem to think that centering the reticle will some how magically adajustment.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
rick,

It won't, but it helps determine if the problem is in the scope, mounts or rifle.

Often scopes get blamed for running out of adjustment, when the most common problem these days is in the mounts (or how it was mounted), and sometimes in the rifle itself.

Spot on.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
rick,

I had a custom 6.5x55 and a Model 99A that could not be adjusted to POA and both problems were caused by the screws on the receivers being off. If the scope tube isn't obviously damaged and it is responding to adjustments the odds are it is a mounting issue. I can see how centering the crosshair might point out problems with the scope.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A windage adjustable mount should do the trick easily.

Guy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or Burris Signatures.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Advanced Scope Mounting by John Barsness - BuckMasters GunHunter

J.B. wrote an article identically titled, but not verbatim the same published in the Dec. 2008 issue of American Rifleman, and another article titled, The Straight Story On Scope Mounting in the Aug. 2011 issue of American Rifleman.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Or Burris Signatures.

The best option.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just as a follow up, it was the mounts. I put the Burris rings and bases on ,and its game on now. Thank you all for the help and education!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
rick,

Yes, sometimes there is a little wiggle room in the mounts themselves. A lot of guys think you can just throw a set on and screw everything together and you are fine. Simple truth of the matter is it doesnt always work that way. Theres a reason they make alignment tools. Mounts should be mounted perfectly perpendicular to the axis of the bore, that way the axis of the scope tube will center itself on the axis of the bore. When you do this, it requires very little windage adjustment on the scope. Ive actually seen some huge poi discrepancies on rifles that had scopes not running perfectly down the centerline axis of the bore. When sighted in at 100 yards, their horizontal poi changed by more than 12 inches at 400 yards. When shooting short distances, its not much of a concern, but when stretching it out, it could cost you a game animal. All the more reason to center your crosshairs optically and then adjust the mounting system for true center.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
rick,

Yes, sometimes there is a little wiggle room in the mounts themselves. A lot of guys think you can just throw a set on and screw everything together and you are fine. Simple truth of the matter is it doesnt always work that way. Theres a reason they make alignment tools. Mounts should be mounted perfectly perpendicular to the axis of the bore, that way the axis of the scope tube will center itself on the axis of the bore. When you do this, it requires very little windage adjustment on the scope. Ive actually seen some huge poi discrepancies on rifles that had scopes not running perfectly down the centerline axis of the bore. When sighted in at 100 yards, their horizontal poi changed by more than 12 inches at 400 yards. When shooting short distances, its not much of a concern, but when stretching it out, it could cost you a game animal. All the more reason to center your crosshairs optically and then adjust the mounting system for true center.

What a revelation. I'm sure MD was clueless about this before you enlightened him.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
rick,

Where the turrets twisted for the 400 yards shot? Or are you saying the point of impact was off 12” at 400 yards while still on at 100 yards?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 1Longbow
Just as a follow up, it was the mounts. I put the Burris rings and bases on ,and its game on now. Thank you all for the help and education!

Glad to learn that it all worked out!

Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
Leupold bases and rings with windage adjustments if they make them or Burris signature Zee rings with the off set inserts.

THIS ^^^^^

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 219DW, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,915 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.